Author Topic: Yager vs. People 300  (Read 3692 times)

xbillyx

• View Profile
Yager vs. People 300
« on: April 22, 2012, 08:06:07 PM »
Hi there.  I'm brand new to this forum.  I live in St Petersburg, FL.

I've done a lot of research on scooters and have narrowed down my choices to the Yager and the People 300.  I'm torn between the two.  The Yager is 2K less expensive but the People seems to be a do-everything scooter, meaning I could take it on the Florida highways and keep up (65 mph in the urban areas and 70 mph in the rest of the state).  That said, however, I'm not sure whether or not I'll want to really do highway driving.  I assume the Yager can't really cut it on highways.

Is one better suited for shorter drivers?  I'm 5'7".  Are both comfortable for back seat riders?  My wife will be riding with sometimes.

I'd appreciate any feedback and tips.

Wil B.

• View Profile
Re: Yager vs. People 300
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 12:40:29 PM »
xbillyx,  I've had my Yager for over a year now.  Am also an experienced motorcycle rider (28 years.)   The Yager is perfect for all types of urban use and can handle expressways with a 55 mph speed limit.  Top speed is somewhere around 65 mph but the comfort zone on the Yager is 50-60 mph.  I have no problem on the expressways.

Any interstate with a 65-70 mph speed limit is NOT where the Yager belongs.  The high speeds and wind blasts from trucks, etc. make a 250cc or higher displacement scoot necessary.  It is what it is....

Decide on your needs and pick accordingly (any Kymco is a good deal.)

Just my opinion.
Wil B.
Broadview,IL

'71 Guzzi Ambassador
'91 Nighthawk
'10 Kymco Yager 200gt
'04 Kymco Super 9
Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"

xbillyx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 08:02:05 PM »
Thanks.  So, it looks like I'd need to stick to roads that are 55 mph or lower (maybe 60, but at the max) with the Yager.

So, if I plan to stay on roads below 60 mph the Yager would be sufficient; however, if I think I'll want to hop on any highways I should go with the People 300.

Makes sense.

nplenzick

• View Profile
    • Nick Plenzick Enterprises.com
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 08:13:31 PM »
I couldn't agree more with Bill. The Yager is a great scooter for around town, country roads, and the occasional expressway. Really not for interstates. My wife and I have ridden two up for short distances ( 10 miles or so) and this scooter performs remarkably well, although it's not very comfortable two up.
This is my wifes bike and it's been a great one for her to learn how to ride and she just past her MSF course yesterday in the pouring cold rain.  I suspect though that she is going to sell it in the not to distant future and purchase a Downtown 300 which has greater power by far, more comfortable for longer rides. I was stunned when I test rode a Downtown last year, felt more like a 650 then a 300, good passing power in the 35-60 mph range, cruised real nice in the 65-70 mph area and would probably top out in the mid 90's mph. Much more comfortable seat and really the right size for two up too. It also felt that it had a much smoother and stable ride.
I'm not knocking the Yager one bit and if your going to be staying close to home pretty much it could be a good bike for you, but if your thinking trips like a weekend getaway for two I would go with the 300.        

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 03:41:56 PM »
If you're selling your wife's Yager how much will you ask for, and where do you live?

-Wolf

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 05:16:48 PM »
Oh my.  It sounds like Wolf's wife is looking for a bike.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

S/W

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 12:43:41 AM »
I would get the Downtown 300i, the wind protection would be much better and less tiring on long rides.

nplenzick

• View Profile
    • Nick Plenzick Enterprises.com
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 08:02:27 PM »
If you're selling your wife's Yager how much will you ask for, and where do you live?

-Wolf

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I'm not sure what we'll ask for it. The first option will be how much the dealer will give her for a trade in. I suspect this will happen sometime this summer. We live in SE PA.

ailixhomes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 10:43:08 AM »
The Yager is a perfect scooter for you. It is excellent for city roads and highways. It's the ideal choice for bikers looking for a relaxed, safe, fast scooter that can get around easily through traffic and needs a lowest cost of possession.

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 04:29:02 PM »
If you're going to be doing a lot of two-up riding, I'd suggest going with the 300cc engine, for more power.

You being only 5'7" doesn't really tell us much except that you'll fit quite comfortably on the Yager. If you're not overweight, I'm making a guess that you're about 150 pounds or so, and if that's accurate, the Yager's got plenty of power for that weight. I'm about 185, and with my backpack, I'm about 195 pounds.

The seating is pretty comfortable for two-up riding, as long as you're not doing a long ride. Even then, stopping and stretching every once in a while should set things right.

If you do a hard break-in of the engine, you'll get better ring seating, and thus less blowby, and thus a bit more power. My Yager, when it was still tight, would hit 79 MPH (although it was way over the red-line). Now, after it's started loosening up, it'll still do 72 MPH, and I expect that'll drop to about 70 MPH as the engine finally gets loosened up completely.

When the engine needs a rebuild, I'm going to be using gapless rings, which should give very little blowby, the oil will stay cleaner, and the engine will have a bit more power and efficiency. But that's waaaaayyy out in the future, as I've still got less than 3000 miles on it.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 08:56:23 PM »
Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I'm not sure what we'll ask for it. The first option will be how much the dealer will give her for a trade in. I suspect this will happen sometime this summer. We live in SE PA.

No problem. At the moment my money may be tied up in a major kitchen renovation project, but I like to keep my options open. Sounds like you live in the Philly area. I work in CC, and like across the Delaware near Cherry Hill.

-Wolf

DaveABQ

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 05:01:48 AM »
I think the Yager gets better fuel mileage and better wind protection.  That bing said, I like the People 300i, only because it is a compact scooter with a bigger motor.  First thing I would do though is add.a windshield.  The other thing about the Yager is that it has a 2.9 gallon fuel tanks compared to the 300i's  2.4 gallons, so with the better fuel mileage, larger fuel capacity, most of your riding being 55 mph, and the $2k less price tag, the Yager may be the way to o.

I picked up my Yager used with only 107 miles on it, so really was sold on it.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()