Author Topic: Safety Class Question  (Read 2976 times)

Alvin

• View Profile
Safety Class Question
« on: April 26, 2012, 03:46:39 PM »
Good morning Everyone,

I began my MSF safety class last night.  Tonight, I will finish the classrom portion (hopefully passing my written test!).  Saturday and Sunday are the riding portions of the class.  Once completes successfully, I will get a M classification on my license.  Here's the question...should I take the riding portion of the class on the motorcycle provided by the instructors or bring along my own scooter?  The coaches are encouraging the "scooterists" in the class to take the riding portion on the motorcycle.  Of course, the motorcycles has a clutch and foot brake...my scooter is twist and go.

I am looking forward to hearing from the voices of experience here on the board...thanks in advance for your time and insight :)

blitzjb

• View Profile
Re: Safety Class Question
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 04:29:26 PM »
IMO - I would take it on the scooter.  I have a friend that is using my scooter for the MC road test - same test - easier on scooter
2012 Kymco Super 8 150

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 08:51:59 PM »
If you have no experience with a motorcycle, take it on your scooter. 
You can always pay the price and take over using their bike at a later date.

Good Luck,
Scoot safely

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

sentinex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 09:23:26 PM »
I recommend you take your own scooter, but remember, in order to use your scooter it has to be registered and insured before you do your run, or you will be not allowed to do the test on your scooter. Also you could request to take the class on a scooter but this can be problematic because some of the places where they have the classes don't have scooters and have to be request when you sign up for the class under special requirements. Hope it helps.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 09:48:10 PM »
I took the MSF class and used their beat-up but workable scooters and some of the class used their motorcycles. Had two crashes: one on a scooter and one on a motorcycle. People OK equipment a little bent and scuffed which they were to start with. I preferred to use theirs just in case I made my bucket so MY scoot would not bear the marks of me being a dummy.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

S/W

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 12:22:27 AM »
Take the class with the motorcycle. You will be a more confident scooter rider if you do.

Alvin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 03:15:14 AM »
Thanks for all the input!  I passed my written test so off to the range on Saturday!!!  I plan to arrive early with my scooter to fill out paperwork.  I do own the scooter and have the registration, insurance and inspection cmplete and up to date.

Still on the fence about the motorcycle...thinking it might be better to use their equipment considering we are all inexperieced riders...I have a day to decide...Will report back after class on Saturday.

DoubleSC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 03:57:48 AM »
My wife faced a similar situation.   Ride the scooter to the course, park it, and try using the motorcycle first.  If after the first couple hours, you can't seem to get the hang of the motorcycle, you can always go to the parking lot and bring in your scoot.

sentinex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 06:23:24 AM »
There is another issue I would like to make you aware of, most of the motorcycles used in the course are what I call a blair-witch bikes.

Most of them(if not all of them) are missing the mirrors, the shift lever is all beat-up and getting the bike to shift smoothly is hard. The motorcycles We used in class haven't seen a public road in a long time and they lack any basic tuning and maintenance besides gas and oil. Also the turn signals on most of them are broken or missing and the brakes are really in bad state.
If this is your first experience in a manual transmission bike I might turn out to be a sore one. Oh and good luck finding a bike that suits you.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 01:13:02 PM »
I took mine on a motorcycle with no option to have a scooter, but if given I would have taken the motorcycle. I wanted to feel like I really did earn my motorcycle license and was not given an easier option, even though I only wanted to own and ride a scooter. Gear changing wasn't that hard once you get used to the clutch and throttle ratios. Also, get into second gear as soon as possible. The bike will ride and respond better when doing any kind of obstacle.

If you can deal with operating a motorcycle in controlled stress situations, using a scooter will be much easier. I never liked have motorcyclist looking down at me for just have a scooter, until I tell them that i earned my license on a motorcycle as well. I'm no different than them. Legally my bike is a motorcycle. It just has a step-through design and an automatic transmission.

Good luck on your test and I hope you passes regardless of your ride.

-Wolf

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 02:28:54 PM »
When you take the test I guarantee you will be getting requests from others to ride your bike. Nothing more comical than watching these guys take the agility test on a chromed out big ass 700 pound bike with huge wheels and missing half the pylons. Take a video camera with you and offer to download footage of red-faced clowns in leather chaps wobbling around on their enormous bikes.  :D

cnydreamr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 04:00:08 PM »
depending where you live, if you take the class/ license with your scooter you will be limited to a modified/ restricted license, only good for automatic bikes ie no clutch. if you use their bikes you are not limited, and can ride any two, possibly three wheeler

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 01:52:05 AM »
I also suggest taking the course on their motorcycles.  Believe it or not, at least one test might be easier with a clutch.  The Figure 8 in the box is easier when you have more control over the throttle and this is best achieved by revving the throttle a little and using the friction zone of the clutch.  While I love my scooter, the CVT provides less throttle control in low speed maneuvers.  Also, just like with cars, better to know how to drive everything...never know when you will need to be able to handle something with a clutch.  Good Luck
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

BigOrange

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 05:30:14 AM »
I took mine on the motorcycle.  The physics and test are built for a clutch. You should know how to do it both ways.  MSF is about good riding skills and creating habits that will increase survivability in the real world. 

I wish I could ride more and drive less!
2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

Alvin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 02:32:32 AM »
I appreciate all the input and advice.  Here's the report.

I planned to take my scooter to class on Saturday morning and decide whether to ride it when I got to the range...well, my scooter had other ideas.  A cold moring and a stalled scooter meant I had to take my car and get on the motorcycle :o  The instructors were excellent, taking time to work with each of the riders in the course.  As the course progressed, I became more comforatble with the shifting, speed and size of the bike.  I am pleased to say I passed both portions of the course and now have a motorcycle license!

I would encourage everyone to take the safety course.  Riding my scooter this afternoon I found myself thinking about and using many of the skills I learned in class.   

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()