Author Topic: Safety Class Question  (Read 2985 times)

BigOrange

• View Profile
Re: Safety Class Question
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 07:51:40 AM »
Congratulations on passing your test.  It is cool to be legit.
I wish I could ride more and drive less!
2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 09:57:02 PM »
Congratulations on passing the test.  Keep in mind what they teach and remember - ATGATT - All the Gear, All the Time.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 10:09:59 PM »
Congrats on passing! Welcome to the club.

It's funny, someone mentioned using the clutch as control for the figure 8, but I actually shifted to second as soon as I could and ran through it perfectly. Doing a figure 8, or a U-turn on my scooter is also not a problem as along as I have a good sense of speed -- slowing down from say 25-35 mph and then doing a U-turn. It's just a matter of practice and control, but the most important part is to look fully into your turn as you are doing the maneuver. Where you look is where you go.

-Wolf

Alvin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 11:23:56 PM »
Thanks for the  positive thoughts...glad to join the club!  I agree with ScooterWolf, 2nd gear and looking where you want to go is great advice! Both were helpful in my "evaluation"...we didn't use the word "test" ;D

Yes, bleys, ATGATT is sage advice.  I bought a full face helmet...red!  I really wanted to be protected before I got on the motorcycle!.  Now I just need a jacket.  During class, while practicing stopping in a curve...straightening the bike and then stopping, a fellow classmate forgot the straighten the handlebars part...and went down :(.  He was an experienced rider and was quick to tell me it wasn't the first time that had happened and he knew it wouldn't be the last...young pup :).  He had on all the protective gear...full face helmet,leather jacket and long pants, so he got up and continued.  Can't tell you how nervous I felt as the next one in line to do the exercise :o.  At that point, I thought maybe I should have stayed home and finished the Sunday crossword puzzle instead!  Glad I stayed and finished ;D

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 02:52:48 PM »
Here's a good site for scooter jackets:

http://www.corazzo.net/mens-jackets

-Wolf

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 10:35:22 PM »
You are right, Wolf...where you look is where you go...truer words were never spoken.  I learned that early on, when I looked at a curb going around a corner.....guess what I hit...I have never repeated that mistake  :-[
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

sentinex

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 04:57:17 PM »
Well done Alvin, Is good to hear you got good instructors and the course was actually fun!

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 05:45:58 PM »
I took my test (exam) in Millville, NJ.  It well planned and organized, the motorcycles were new, the instructors were excellent.  Every rider should go to MSF, experienced or not, there's much to learn.  I am a confidant rider enjoying my bike.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 06:34:24 PM »
Another good gear site is: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

They are willing to tell you what they like and dislike about the items that they sell, just contact them or read their reviews.

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()