Author Topic: Super 8 50 2t 27ish mph  (Read 6034 times)

tr0id

• View Profile
Super 8 50 2t 27ish mph
« on: April 27, 2012, 03:30:55 AM »
Ok I'm seeing quite a few of these subjects similar to my question but I thought I'd go ahead and ask anyway. To start off, I don't really know much about location of parts or terminology. I live in Daytona Beach, FL, I'm 195 lbs and I like long walks on the beach. My Super 8 only does 27 on flat ground. I JUST started reading around trying to find out what to do and how to do it. I read that the 2011 Super 8 50 2t doesn't a CDI. My manual says "Ignition type - DC-CDI". Does this just mean that the CDI isn't restricted? Because I looked today and couldn't find the pink/purple wires to cut. I'm looking to do some cheap mods to get my speed up. It sucks going 25-27mph on a 45mph road! Dude at my dealership said I need to get a new spacer for the variator. Should I just remove any spacers and leave them off? People are also talking about taking the snorkel? off in the air filter area. Any ideas? I'm gonna see about getting a new jet. Maual says it's a 16mm but people are talking about stock 65's. I don't know if they are just different measurements or what. Would I be looking for a 16mm 80 jet? I'm kinda cheezed that the CDI problem isn't one that I have. I was hoping for an easy speed increaser. Anyway, any cheap suggestions would help. Also if anyone can find any pics or give instructions that would be great too! Thanks a lot!

tr0id

• View Profile
Re: Super 8 50 2t 27ish mph
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 03:52:10 AM »
Also I saw this on another post about the same scooter. "I took the shoulder unit out of the CVT" What does that mean? Is that the same as a spacer in the variator?

ill_eagle94

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 06:45:37 AM »
Your scooter should have come with a larger jet and a smooth variator boss. Most US dealers install these before delivering the scooter. The parts should be in a plastic bag under the seat. If you didn't get them, complain to the dealer and tell them that you want the parts that came with the scooter and you want them installed like they should be.

Even with the parts, you're going to peak out around 35-37 on the flats, maybe even a bit less, as you're a bit heavier than I am (no offense).

For more speed, you'll want to do an exhaust and filter (and or remove the intake snorkel). By doing these, you're going to need to test different jet sizes to get the optimum fuel mix.

You'll also want a performance variator with lighter weights, and a torque spring for your clutch that will make it grab later.

Everything I've read tells me that everything I listed here should be enough to get you at least over 40mph and pretty close to 45. This is what I'm slowly working to, but I'm on a tight budget as I've been buying too many parts for my car as well.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2012 Honda Fit Sport

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 12:58:02 PM »
Yes, you should have gotten the smooth var-boss and 82 jet that de-restricts the scooter when you bought it along with the small tool kit. My dealer tried to sell me a "hop-up" ($90) kit which were the same parts that they should have given me with my scooter.

I called the Kymco rep for my state and they told me to go back to the dealer and ask for my parts. The guys at the dealer gave them to me and acted pissed about it.

Those parts got me up the max of 37mph. A 85 main jet got me to 40mph.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

tr0id

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 02:42:40 PM »
Yeah I just read about the var and jet being under the seat. I went and checked last night and I didn't get them so I'm gonna have to go back to the dealer and get them. That makes me mad, freaking jerk. Thanks guys! I'm hoping this will hook me up!

chevysales

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 03:45:14 PM »
Yeah I just read about the var and jet being under the seat. I went and checked last night and I didn't get them so I'm gonna have to go back to the dealer and get them. That makes me mad, freaking jerk. Thanks guys! I'm hoping this will hook me up!

is it dependent on the state scooter is shipped to whether these parts come with super 8 2t or not from kymco?

like to know what is part of the toolkit i read mentioned here?

i read the smooth boss and a different size jet.... i would have them put it on for more one less hassle as it seems there are no 2012 sr50 aprillia's to be found anywhere in the 3 dealers in my state at this time.

the fly got thumbs down from 2 owners who happened to be at dealer this morning checking on theirs which were in for repairs both under 1000 miles. with one lady telling me she wishes it had a kick start as the electric start had let her down, who knows.

but knowing what is supposed to come under the seat will make this easier on me and save a trip. i am not worried about breaking it in with or without parts as obviously they are detuned for US/states so it shouldn't matter.

thank you and btw did the place give you your parts?

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 04:19:57 PM »
The tool kit is just a little black bag with a screwdriver and a spark plug socket. When I spoke to the Kymco rep she said every scooter that has been restricted comes with the smooth boss and stock jet in the shipping crate. If you did not get it the dealer kept it and you should go to the dealer and ask for it.

If I had any issues she told me to call Kymco while I was there and have the shop owner (a Kymco dealer) get on the phone and "she would set them straight".  :o
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

tr0id

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 12:29:17 AM »
I haven't went to get my part yet. I live in Florida. I wrote an email to Kymco today basically looking for written documentation that I could show this guy if he tries to douche me around any more. I'll keep you all posted on how it turns out. Also does anyone know the brand name of the clutch and variator that come stock on the 2011 Kymco 50 2t? My dad is coming to visit and he's gonna help me put the stuff on. So he's wanting to know what he can about the systems. Thanks guys!

tr0id

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 04:35:56 PM »
Oh also, does anyone feel like giving me some detailed instructions/pics on how to take out the snorkel from my air vent? I don't really know my way around scooters enough.

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 07:23:14 PM »

Unscrew airbox cover - 6 or so screws. In the cover at the bottom intake hole the is a small tube (the white thing in the drawing). Yank vigorously on it until something comes out.  :D
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

ill_eagle94

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 08:22:38 PM »
The tool kit is just a little black bag with a screwdriver and a spark plug socket. When I spoke to the Kymco rep she said every scooter that has been restricted comes with the smooth boss and stock jet in the shipping crate. If you did not get it the dealer kept it and you should go to the dealer and ask for it.

If I had any issues she told me to call Kymco while I was there and have the shop owner (a Kymco dealer) get on the phone and "she would set them straight".  :o

I wasn't talking about the tool kit, the parts come in a small zip lock baggie.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2012 Honda Fit Sport

tr0id

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 05:04:40 AM »
THANKS PIMPY!!! I'm bouts to go outside right now and do that to see if that helps at all right now. :D Though I still haven't gotten the var and jet yet. Is this a bad idea to take the snorkel out before I do those things or will this help? I might just do it anyways.

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 11:21:56 AM »
It won't do you any good to pull the tube out yet. The boss is by far the biggest holdback. It is like having a 5-speed and the restricted boss only lets you use the first 3 gears. No matter what else you do you just want go any faster until you get that replaced.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

tr0id

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 04:48:54 PM »
OK. So I got an email back from Kymco USA that said I needed to contact my dealer about de-restricting my scooter because they "cannot discuss any information on de-restricting my unit". They also said that no scooter should be sold with any de-restriction components or information left to the consumer. So that sucks. Now I have no backup when I go talk to that guy.

tr0id

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 04:57:47 PM »
So now I need to know where to get a cheap var boss and main jet in case this dude doesn't give me the ones that came with my scooter. Also should I jet to an 82 or 85? or more? I live in Florida. Thanks guys!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()