Author Topic: Belt snaped again?  (Read 2716 times)

sissy mary

• View Profile
Belt snaped again?
« on: April 30, 2012, 01:29:05 PM »
After putting on a new in perfect condition variator and belt, after only about 1,000 miles my belt broke again? It broke up into chunks. This time there does not seem to be any heat issue with the boss the runs inside the inner sliding pulley half. It was not burnished-dis-colored and so on. The only non stock part was the Dr Pulley sliders which seem to look just fine. What the he-ll is going on? Also the inner pulley half is now groved? It is groved fairly high up in/on the face where the belt would ride at hwy speeds I would think? Could something be going on in the clutch area? Causing a drag or something? The clutch pulley half not sliding in & out correctly? Is the clutch squeezing/flexing the belt as it run's? Does the clutch need to be taken apart and lubed/cleaned? Something is causing a tremendous amout of stress or pulling of the belt to do this. Any suggestion? I really need some help and info on this? Thanks guy's in advance. :'( 

axy

• View Profile
Re: Belt snaped again?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 02:52:48 PM »
After putting on a new in perfect condition variator and belt, after only about 1,000 miles my belt broke again? It broke up into chunks. This time there does not seem to be any heat issue with the boss the runs inside the inner sliding pulley half. It was not burnished-dis-colored and so on. The only non stock part was the Dr Pulley sliders which seem to look just fine. What the he-ll is going on? Also the inner pulley half is now groved? It is groved fairly high up in/on the face where the belt would ride at hwy speeds I would think? Could something be going on in the clutch area? Causing a drag or something? The clutch pulley half not sliding in & out correctly? Is the clutch squeezing/flexing the belt as it run's? Does the clutch need to be taken apart and lubed/cleaned? Something is causing a tremendous amout of stress or pulling of the belt to do this. Any suggestion? I really need some help and info on this? Thanks guy's in advance. :'(  

Simple things first: Are you using TOO SHORT BELT?

Do not rely on models, purchase according to manufacturing years, doubt even "Internet dimensions" or "forum members' recommendations". Reconfirm ten times the length of OEM belt and buy exactly the samel length. I used manual specs (totally wrong for most Kymcos!) and bought a wrong belt and once used info provided by the member of this forum and ended up with completely wrong roller weights.

Happened to my gf's Agility too - belt we bought was 6 cm too short and snapped after 10 miles.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:54:38 PM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 04:20:12 PM »
Lousy luck, Sissy!  Well, I'll ask what I always ask when something like this happens.  Are all three washers installed correctly in the variator?  One behind, bevel facing engine.  Second goes between pulley faces.  Third under the nut.

My brand new variator got grooved right away too.  It hasn't caused any problems, though.

Yes, if the driven pulley isn't sliding properly it would cause tension.  Mine has never had any issues, though I've suspected it several times, it's always perfect when I disassemble and check it.  I notice there IS updated part numbers for the pins and bushings that it slides on (three of each).   To check it you have to take off the clutch with involves huge C-clamps or clutch compressing tool and vise.  Also a nice big wrench big enough to take off that big nut under the bell.  I use a pipe wrench but a nice big adjustable wrench would also work or even a special Kymco wrench.   And of course, a clutch holding tool or impact wrench to get the bell nut off.

Lastly, what Axy said!  Although I think you've installed a stock belt this time?

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 10:08:59 PM »
Yes stock belt, and yes to the 3 washers. I watched the you tube video of the guy putting in a set of Dr Pulleys several times, and I have a blown up picture of how the assembley go's together, so I know it's right. Kymco USA has not returned call? Talked to dealer service guy, but they have never did more than oil changes & such on the X500's. He said the alignment from front to back, (variator & clutch) may be off? That it may need to be shimed by using washers? How could the alignment get off? He said this is often a problem with snow mobiles? Well a scooter is a fixed unit, not a separate engine and variator, so how could it miss-aligne? But the inside pulley half was groved! So maybe there is some internal where item the needs to be replaced that can cause this? I wish I could talk to a mechanic who knows what he's talking about. ANYBODY KNOE ONE? :'(

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 10:38:10 PM »
Yeah, I doubt seriously the alignment is off, like you said there's nothing that moves on the back half of both pulleys.  Well, heck, check the driven to see if it slides well and proper.  Note, it won't budge a millimeter while it's together with the clutch on it.  It must be disassembled.  Then it should slide easily.  The outer half will slide right off the boss and there you'll see the little pins and bushings in their curved slots which will be all greased up.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 12:09:59 AM »
I agree the belt is not getting full travel. If the torsion controller does not open fully the Var will be pulling too hard on the belt. To check for correct length... The belt Must sit level with or slightly above the torsion pulleys, and sit snug on the drive boss. If the belt has to open the torsion pulleys to be snug on the boss it is too short.
Try taking out the contra spring, and reassemble the cvt. This will allow you to open the torsion controller, and close the var by hand. The belt should sit on the base of the Tors. Cont. , and be at or above the top of the var.. I suspect your torsion controller is not opening completely. Thus the grove...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 12:50:10 PM »
Yes I have been thinking it's something in the clutch also. I have a little over 30,000 miles on it now and something may be worn out or just very dirty and or in need of a serious lube. I saw a you tube yesterday where a guy took apart a burgman 400 (I think) clutch. He cleaned the h-ll out of it and greased it to death in the slots, around the dowl areas & so on. Should I replace the spring while it's apart? Could it be getting weak & causing some problems? And thanks to both of you, you guy's are great, you both are always there with good answers when I am in need of help. ;D :-*

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 12:21:21 AM »
I certainly would get a new spring. They get weak with time. The travel of the pulleys is the most important part right now. Your spring may have broken or is too weak to pull the belt out of the var fast enough. I believe you will see an issue once you open the torsion controller. Remove the spring, and reassemble it all finger tight to visually check the operation.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 12:22:48 PM »
I have the clutch apart, the 2 pulley halfs open and close perfectly? All is clean and lubed? Clutch pads are in fine condition and not worn in an abnormal way? Spring is not broken? I have no idea why my bike keeps shreading belts? Any thoughts from any tech type people out there? Can anybody recommend a shop I can call that may have experiance in this area? Every shop I call has only done oil changes and such. HELP? :'(

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »
Zombie, How do you get the torsion controller apart? It opens and closes perfect, there is grease inside, and there is no scaring on the shaft. From what I can see it is perfect.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 06:12:22 PM »
Sissy.  Going from memory here.  Slide the white plastic sleeve off.  Then pry the metal collar off by carefully driving a wide screwdriver or similar under it and prying.  The outer pulley half will then slide off and you can inspect the three small pins and bushings.  But I doubt there's anything wrong if you can slide it easily now. 

I wish I knew of something else for you to look into because it must be SOMETHING! 

Well, how are the faces of your pulley?  Is there black belt residue on them?

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
Not much? The belt more exploded than broke. :-*

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 11:46:26 PM »
Was it a Malossi belt? They do explode... Try installing the clutch with No spring, and see if the pulley half is hitting the bottom of the clutch. That will force the belt to fold in the center separating the softer rubber "knobs" from the actual belt carcass.
Try this link... Maybe get a real Tech. to talk to. http://malossiuk.com/techcentres/

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 12:08:05 PM »
It was a stock belt for a 2007!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 01:02:06 PM »
Bando I believe makes the belt. It is the best one you can use. Try to see if the torque drive pulley has full travel with the clutch installed. Or maybe the drive boss is too long/ try removing the washer at the drive face end of the boss to shorten the travel. I'd still try the Malossi tech line too.
I think the best way to narrow this down is to mark some lines on both pulley sets to see what the actual travel is. You need to verify where the belt is going. If it goes all the way to the base of the rear, and only part way up the front it is too short. same if it goes all the way to the top of the front but only part way down the rear it is too long. If it only travels part way on both either the var boss is set wrong or the something is stopping the rear from opening. Perhaps the spring is getting coil bound? Marking the pulleys, and running will narrow it down.
http://49ccscoot.com/tqdriver.html

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()