Author Topic: Volumetric efficiency  (Read 2173 times)

baddi

• Top speed: 38 km/h and fuel economy: 50 km/l
    • View Profile
    • My project fuel injection gallery
Volumetric efficiency
« on: May 01, 2012, 06:54:03 PM »
Hey guys, im currently waiting for my EFI-kit to arrive to Denmark from Ecotrons in Michigan, and i plan to know close to everything before it arrive.

In the Ecotrons tuning guide, they say that volumetric efficiency is the most important thing of all, but very little of how to calculate it.

I think that i will be able to measure the air pressure in the intake manifold with the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor, which comes with the kit, but am i right, that a higher pressure (closer to atmospheric pressure) will indicate that the air flow is optimised before the sensor? :)

Because i plan to test the air flow this way with several modifications, to document the venturi effect in the carburator and intake spacer as restrictions to the air flow, which should be removed to optimise air flow. :)

Have you got any idea, tips or comments? :)
If you know a better way to measure or calculate air flow, let me know.
I will get the following sensors: MAP-, Oxygen-, Throttle possition-, intake temperature- and engine temperature sensor, and i plan to do the tests of air flow with WOT. :)
First Kymco agility 50 (2008) 11.000+ km (dead)
Second kymco agility 50 (2010) 20.000+ km. Project Fuel Injection. Stolen.
Kymco K-pipe 125 (2014) 7400 km.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Volumetric efficiency
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 12:46:43 AM »
I posted on the other thread. The included sensors will tell YOU nothing. They are all binary coded info. once the analog signal reaches the cpu
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 07:22:27 PM »
I plan on using the EcoTrons kit on my Ruckus with the Super 8 150 engine.  Please let me know how it goes.

Volumetric efficiency is basically just how efficient your engine is as an "air pump".  Performance trends sells tools to help with this.
(about 1/2 way down the page) http://performancetrends.com/listmanager/July%202010%20Newsletter.htm
2)  New Dyno DataMite Volumetric Efficiency Channel  We can now use an air turbine to measure engine air flow with our Dyno DataMite data loggers.  We've also added a calculated channel for Volumetric Efficiency.  This adds a great way to judge the performance potential (or any lost potential) for an engine you are developing.  Good street engines should be able to achieve 100% volumetric efficiency, with the best race motors getting up to around 130% or higher (naturally aspirated).
I like Performance Trend's products... I have my dyno equipped with their DataMite III USB setup, and it's working well.  I'm still learning a lot.  :)

~Josh
www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

baddi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 07:53:17 PM »
I plan on using the EcoTrons kit on my Ruckus with the Super 8 150 engine.  Please let me know how it goes.

Volumetric efficiency is basically just how efficient your engine is as an "air pump".  Performance trends sells tools to help with this.
(about 1/2 way down the page) http://performancetrends.com/listmanager/July%202010%20Newsletter.htmI like Performance Trend's products... I have my dyno equipped with their DataMite III USB setup, and it's working well.  I'm still learning a lot.  :)

~Josh

Thanks for the link, but i cant seem to figure out, what is on the site, what is needed and what it costs, as buying a dyno would be waaaaay too expensive for me. :D

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=6314.msg65000#new This is where i will write about the project, but im still waiting for the package to arrive. :)

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 09:12:42 PM »
You don't have to have a dyno - just a datalogger that works with their turbine for calculating the VE of the engine.  You should e-mail them and ask about it if interested.  I can't really give details because I haven't used it, but did see that it was available and thought I'd let you know.  :) 

Best,

~Josh
www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

baddi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 09:42:46 PM »
You don't have to have a dyno - just a datalogger that works with their turbine for calculating the VE of the engine.  You should e-mail them and ask about it if interested.  I can't really give details because I haven't used it, but did see that it was available and thought I'd let you know.  :) 

Best,

~Josh

Sounds very expensive. :/
I guess i'll have to wait some time before i can afford equipment for accurate measurement of VE, but if VE are really just how effective an air pump the engine is, then i would be able to measure VE from the MAP-sensor, inaccurate but ok enough to measure if the pressure goes up or down.
As zombie say, they are binary, but they represent values, and will be translated into readable informations in the ECU, so the values being in binary wont be a problem.
I've been thinking about what diffrent value changes should mean, and i came to this:
An increase in intake manifold-pressure after optimising the air filter will mean that there is less resistance in the air intake and a decrease will mean that optimising the air filter wasn't done properly.
An increase in intake manifold pressure after changing exhaust will mean that the original exhaust is better, and a decrease will mean that the new exhaust offers less resistance, and the cylinder will be able to press out more air. :)

This is the way i plan to use the MAP sensor to read possible improvements, but as soon as i got the money, i will do as you guys proposed and buy some proper equipment to measure air flow. :D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 03:35:55 AM »
A brave soul you are. Super cool project, and I love the way you are immersing in it.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()