Author Topic: 1st oil change  (Read 5503 times)

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
1st oil change
« on: May 01, 2012, 10:49:19 PM »
So, I'm at 200 miles with my new Xciting.  The owner's manual states to change the oil and transmission fluid at 200 miles and to check the valve adjustment.  Really, at 200 miles...I know it's a small aluminum engine, but this seems a tad early...I would have thought more like 500 miles or is my thinking skewed by past experience with bigger motorcycle engines?  Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Bleys
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

juice

• View Profile
Re: 1st oil change
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 11:10:53 PM »
I would make sure it dosn't void the warrenty if you don't have it done . Good luck .

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 02:32:59 AM »
I changed my oil the day the scoot was delivered. I don't trust what oil they use in the factory. Maybe too generic. How about you guys? do you know what the factory puts in your engine? 

bleys

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 10:37:10 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I decided to go ahead and change it...felt like I didn't want to leave the original break in oil in anyway.  I was going to do it myself, but decided to try a local scooter mechanic.  When I dropped it off, the shop was busy, but the owner still spent 10 minutes admiring my scooter and making sure he knew what I needed done.  Best part, is he will have it back to me by Saturday, which is the only day it's not raining out of the next 4. 
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2014 Honda CTX700N

BigOrange

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 06:55:17 AM »
I bought my 2007 xciting 250 with 7500 miles on it. I drove it 1 mile from the title transfer to scooter shop and had the 7500 mile service and all fluids replaced.

1000 miles later I performed my first oil change with Mobil 1 motorcycle oil. Purrs like kitten.  Meow!

9 bucks for the Mobil 1 at Walmart and I picked up a bottle of Seafoam.

I wish I could ride more and drive less!
2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 07:03:50 AM »
Wow! 9 bucks! Mobil 1 costs around 15 bucks here. Might still seem affordable in the U.S. but around 2 days salary of an ordinary office guy here. Seafoam costs around 20 bucks.

BigOrange

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 09:18:37 AM »
9 bucks for Seafoam. I was reading in another forum about "magical unicorn piss" i think gasoline over 93 octane. Not much over 91 octane in the people's republic of tucson. We have cheap Mobil 1, Seafoam and all gas all the time has ethanol. We also have 330 riding days a year. Might make up for the shortage of unicorn piss.

2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 09:27:32 AM »
9 bucks for Seafoam. I was reading in another forum about "magical unicorn piss" i think gasoline over 93 octane. Not much over 91 octane in the people's republic of tucson. We have cheap Mobil 1, Seafoam and all gas all the time has ethanol. We also have 330 riding days a year. Might make up for the shortage of unicorn piss.

Well, I think so... we have 87, 93, 97, and 100 octane. You may have the magical seafoam but I have the unicorn piss plus rum during rides... ;D

BTW, Motul oil is cheaper than Mobil 1...  http://www.motul.com/ph/en/products?f[engine_type]=26&f[range]=21
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 09:35:45 AM by Vivo »

BigOrange

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 12:01:32 AM »
There is on gearhead gas station with racing fuel. They are always out of the magical unicorn piss or they don't want to give the magical piss to a guy on a scooter.
2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

bleys

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 12:19:48 PM »
93 octane or higher is no problem here.  The issue in sunny (ahem) New England is the freaking rain.  I might be able to ride tomorrow, and maybe Monday, but it is still raining today - 5th day in a row.  Oh well, Autumn will be nice.  By the way, 1st service is done and picking up the scooter today.  The mechanic said that pulling the body panels off took a lot of time and the valves were tight.  I will find out more when I pick it up, but looks like the bill will be around $250...seems a little steep for a first service, but I do plan to keep this scooter for a while.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2014 Honda CTX700N

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 01:33:49 PM »
I'm gonna have to branch out into exporting Sea Foam for the Philli, and a Jiffy Lube for scooters.
Hey dirty... Baby I got your money!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Rayweddel

• View Profile
    • Lone Mountain Truck Leasing
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 06:04:15 PM »
Every vehicle owners have been consider as a best thing to get a change your oil at first time in vehicle. It is very necessary and important for every Vehicle owner.  You have to change your oil for your vehicle to get a advantage of auto experts.

ailixhomes

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 10:21:03 AM »
As per my knowledge if you want to change oil first time on your bike, then use branded oil for your vehicle, because it is good for your vehicle engine. Now days lots of branded oil available in market like Valvoline, Castrol, Chevron, Motorcraft, Shell and many more. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 01:14:30 PM »
You keep slinging them right in there don't ya Alex! You get what you pay for... For sure.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

slunkmonky

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 05:24:47 PM »
My scooter started running really funky when I waited too long to change my oil once. Then I changed it and it was still funky so I changed it again real fast so it was like a flush. Then I switched to 93 octane and now it runs smooth as silk after the oil flush and changing gas. Change the oil often, like 1000 miles if you ride a bunch of highway miles. I don't commute on highway anymore but my oil is like $9 and takes me about 10 minutes to change and only one wrench.

But for the break in oil change, yeah, do it at 200 and get all the little shavings of metal out. All engines come with tighter clearances than when they are broken in later on down the road, and little metal shavings is how it loosens up.
Kymco xciting 250 '06

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()