Author Topic: locking scooter  (Read 1361 times)

bilyum

• Super 8 150
    • View Profile
locking scooter
« on: May 02, 2012, 06:03:01 PM »
I have noticed lately, how easy it is to accidentally leave scooter unlocked . You almost need to have a check off list to be sure of not walking off forgetting something.
I have once walked off with the key in the seat lock. Locking the bike isn't fun and takes some time. I currently use a brake lock and a cable lock (for pole etc).
I am seeking new means and ideas that make it easier. Maybe even a easy to remember check list would be good.
Later
bilyum

axy

• View Profile
Re: locking scooter
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 06:21:05 PM »
I have noticed lately, how easy it is to accidentally leave scooter unlocked . You almost need to have a check off list to be sure of not walking off forgetting something.
I have once walked off with the key in the seat lock. Locking the bike isn't fun and takes some time. I currently use a brake lock and a cable lock (for pole etc).
I am seeking new means and ideas that make it easier. Maybe even a easy to remember check list would be good.

Yes it is - I do it every day. :)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 08:48:05 PM »
I leave my key in the seat from time to time forgeting its there. come out of work and its stell there .. what luck.

SteveM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 09:14:09 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by making it easier to lock your scooter. I use three locks; a Grip-Lock, a disc brake lock and a rear wheel Mini Grip lock.

SonicSix

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
    • My Scooter Site
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 11:35:43 PM »
I set the handlebar lock but that's it.  Then again, I do not live in a big city and I carry full coverage insurance.
2012 Kymco Like 200i Black and Blue
White Bell Revolver EVO Modular Helmet with Dark Smoke Shield
States I have scootered in...

bilyum

• Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 05:29:36 PM »
  After  giving it some thought , I have decided it is the rear wheel that needs most attention when locking up. Two people can easily pick up the front of a scooter and just drag it to their truck. The rear wheel will turn or roll without any problem (cvt) . It would make it much more difficult if rear wheel would not roll. It will also be easy to forget it is locked and drive off and damage something. Maybe a Club 493 would do the job. About $55 on line.
  If thieves just realized how useless a scooter is without a title they would not waste their time. Who is going to buy used scooter parts or even waste their time driving to get them. Or worse , how dumb to buy a scooter without a title. So remember that when looking for scooter parts. Don't create a market for used parts.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 06:41:32 PM by bilyum »
Later
bilyum

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 07:12:03 PM »
No titles with 50cc scooters in NC because no registration is required. That's why they are so desirable to thieves. Unless somebody checks the VIN # you'd never know. Even still, a lot of people don't even write down their scoot's VIN #. Which is stupid, I write down the VIN # on all my unregistered toys.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

bilyum

• Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 01:29:53 PM »
Maybe even a easy to remember check list would be good.
I think the first step in locking would be to immediately remove key from seat after opening and putting it in pocket or safe place (may also eliminate locking key in seat compartment). Simple enough! My givi trunk cannot be locked  without key in lock-set so forgetting to lock it is not a problem.
Later
bilyum

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 01:45:04 PM »
There is no stopping thieves. Locks just deter the opportunists. I like the Mad Max approach... Touch it and wake up in the hospital.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()