Author Topic: Yager seat  (Read 8820 times)

Ronnath

• View Profile
Yager seat
« on: May 03, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
This is my first post on this forum. I'm new to this forum, but not a cherry having a bit of experience on scooters over the years (2 Puchs, 2 Metropolitans, 1 Reflex, 1 Sportcity 250, and 1 Yamaha Majesty).

Just took delivery of a '12 Yager GT 200i and have been busily putting break-in miles on it.

My first day was spent with a "naked" seat. I grabbed my sheepskin pad for the next couple of days. Today I returned home with my butt crying for relief.

I'm a six footer, 32" inseam, and find the leg room to be "just" acceptable, but trying to wiggle backward on the seat for a little more comfort I came directly in contact with that "ridge" built into the seat and trying to sit up on the "ridge" isn't acceptable because doing that made it more uncomfortable.

I looked under the seat and the shell doesn't look like there's a ridge molded into it, so I'm guessing the aforementioned "ridge" is something molded into the cushioning and covering material itself.

Found this forum, registered, and did a search on seat issues for the Yager. The search resulted in nothing that really responds to my question.

The question: Has anyone done any seat mods to the Yager?

acope

• View Profile
Re: Yager seat
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 02:01:49 PM »
Yup.  Took a flat blade screwdriver and pulled the staples out of the seat bottom to release the seat cover.  Only took out enough to pull the cover back to the ridge.  Cut the ridge out of the foam and then pulled the cover back over the seat. 

Took one of the original staples to the store and bought the closest I could find with the same leg length.  Stapled the cover back on.

Works just fine.

Ronnath

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 06:26:58 PM »
thanks, acope.

did it make much difference in your comfort?

YagerMySter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 11:14:44 AM »
thanks, acope.

did it make much difference in your comfort?

Yah, What he said :-)

Something has to be done about the seat on my 2012 Yager.  I'm 5'10" and the seat is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.  Love the bike, hate the seat.

I did it and I'm glad.

YagerMySter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 11:15:22 AM »
Yup.  Took a flat blade screwdriver and pulled the staples out of the seat bottom to release the seat cover.  Only took out enough to pull the cover back to the ridge.  Cut the ridge out of the foam and then pulled the cover back over the seat. 

Took one of the original staples to the store and bought the closest I could find with the same leg length.  Stapled the cover back on.

Works just fine.

Cool.  Got any pics of that mod?  :-)
I did it and I'm glad.

acope

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 08:15:34 PM »
Sorry, I didn't think to take pics as we did them.  Just did it.

Lets me sit further back without having to sit on the ledge from the foam.

Ronnath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 09:01:23 PM »
not to worry.

tomorrow i'll start the process and it will be documented (pix) accordingly.

now, a disclaimer:

should i screw the thing up, i have a local re-upholstery shop in my back pocket that did work on the majesty i used to have and bailed me out when i ran into problems. if that comes to pass, no guarantee on the pix.

stay tuned.

YagerMySter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 11:34:44 AM »
not to worry.

tomorrow i'll start the process and it will be documented (pix) accordingly.

now, a disclaimer:

should i screw the thing up, i have a local re-upholstery shop in my back pocket that did work on the majesty i used to have and bailed me out when i ran into problems. if that comes to pass, no guarantee on the pix.

stay tuned.

Sweet and thanks!!!!!

:-)
I did it and I'm glad.

Ronnath

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 11:46:35 AM »
test post to see if i can upload a picture.

papascootin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 05:17:25 PM »
Hi everyone, new to the forum although I have been lurking for quite a while. Recently purchased a yager GT200I and just sold an Agility 125 that I purchased as a leftover about a year ago. I love the Yager so far but agree with the seat problem so I am following this thread to see the outcome. I too would like to slide back further than the rise in the seat allows comfortably. I probably would have an uphostory shop do the work, just trying to determine the best direction to go in. Thought of adding a less dense foam ahead of the rise  but not sure if the rise in seat height would be detrimentle when tring to touch down. I also think taking some of the slope out of the seat might make it more comfy... Not sure.

Ronnath

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 06:04:15 PM »
here we go:

The offending hump

(hope the pix work - i'm trying to get them sized for posting here)

Ronnath

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 06:06:34 PM »
pop open the seat and remove the two 10MM nuts at the front of the seat - no need to attack the allen screw thingy between the two nuts.

Ronnath

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 06:10:45 PM »
with the seat open you'll notice the underseat light is on. wiggled it and such to see if there was a way to remove/unplug it - no joy.

since i had no idea how long the seat would be off and not wanting to run down the battery, just unscrew the two screws holding the latch/hook thingy at the back of the seat and shove it down into the "catch" - it snapped right in and the light went out.

Ronnath

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 06:13:49 PM »
Acope's post mentioned using a flat screwdriver to remove the staples. i didn't have one that was thin enough, so i grabbed a "scratch awl" and it worked very well pulling up one end of the staple and i grabbed the staple with needle nose pliers and they popped right out.

Ronnath

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 06:16:20 PM »
i only removed enough staples to expose the hump. pulling up the cover i discovered the foam is covered with some plastic saran-wrap-like stuff.

here's the foam still covered with the wrap.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()