Author Topic: Wobbly Speedo Needle Syndrome  (Read 1519 times)

superseagulls

• View Profile
Wobbly Speedo Needle Syndrome
« on: May 04, 2012, 11:26:26 AM »
Hi
Last week I was afflicted with a nasty case of wobbly speedo. I used the search feature on this site to find that a whole bunch of others had also been suffering from this tragic disease.
Anyway, having a fair amount of dealings with speed sensors on other applications, I noticed this was a common failure for most speed/position sensors.
Kymco have been nice enough to re-engineer the replacement as they presumably had so many fail.

The new part number for said item is: 31340-LBA2-E0A

I hope this helps someone out, the speed sensor is always going to be the most likely failure mode between the wheel and display.
It's not a cheap fix $66 (ish) plus shipping & taxes, but a lot cheaper than the speedo cluster.
Unfortunately the old one is pretty much un-serviceable, the wires are 'potted' into the sensor, so gently scraping and chisseling may get to the pins to enable re-soldering a new cable, but unlikely.

sissy mary

• View Profile
Re: Wobbly Speedo Needle Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 12:06:20 PM »
Mine has been fine for 30'000 miles, but they often seem to go bad? I'm glad Kymco has made a change. :-*

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 01:14:22 AM »
Thanks so much for this message.  Urbestfriend has had more than numerous Speedometer
Issues as documented.  I have not double-checked the P/N you've listed,  but I will say I
ordered the sensor from Kymco 123 last fall.  After more than several weeks I found that
the sensor was on back-order,  so I cancelled it.  If your source is good,  then the delay
may have been because of restocking this replacement.  Mine hasn't worked at all for several
weeks lately.  Last week it kicked in for a short period after I had it in the garage with the front
wheel turned to the right.  It leads me to believe that it is a broken wire that periodically makes
contact.   Can you give us a confirmation where you found this out.

HOHO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 09:49:49 PM »
My speedomoter is not wobbly but it is incorrect.  I wrote to Kymco and they said that the average speedo is 10 kilometers off(faster than it actually is).  Apparently it's an industry standard.  My wife and I went on the highway and through prearranged signals confirmed this.  I'm always 10K faster than I actually am.  Apparently this is to reduce the # of highway deaths.  If they fool us into slowing down and living it's a good thing.   But,,,,,I'd rather know the exact speed I'm doing and control my self.  I'm 55, not a kid and I know how fast to drive.  (o.k. so I got it up to 150 to try it out but went back down right away).  According to Kycmo it shoudl be good for 160K (100 MPH)  Maybe they're right in tweaking it after all.....!

superseagulls

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 01:43:07 AM »
Urbestfriend, I found the original part number from the parts finder - http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/pages/OemParts#/Kymco_USA/Xciting_500/Wire_Harness/2K03110005/2K03110109

The part you would have wanted is item 31340 -

31340   31340-LBA2-E0A      SENSOR FR WHEEL SPEED **(4) C.2006.03.24   $66.78   

The original (also detailed if you click on the little triangle on the page) shows the item this supersedes - 31340-LBA2-E00

Confirmed by my local dealer - Jet Ski Orlando, that it was a new item.

Visually the potting is different, and the plastic housing is marked with a 'P'.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for this message.  Urbestfriend has had more than numerous Speedometer
Issues as documented.  I have not double-checked the P/N you've listed,  but I will say I
ordered the sensor from Kymco 123 last fall.  After more than several weeks I found that
the sensor was on back-order,  so I cancelled it.  If your source is good,  then the delay
may have been because of restocking this replacement.  Mine hasn't worked at all for several
weeks lately.  Last week it kicked in for a short period after I had it in the garage with the front
wheel turned to the right.  It leads me to believe that it is a broken wire that periodically makes
contact.   Can you give us a confirmation where you found this out.

ahonekal

• Jep Jep
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Wobbly Speedo Needle Syndrome
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 07:43:42 PM »
My speedometer went nuts when I connect cellphone charger. Max speed was 65km/h even i was driving allmost 100km/h :-). Took charger off and meter went back to normal. +10km/h to actual speed.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()