Author Topic: A couple of issues Need some help!  (Read 2171 times)

p40whk

• View Profile
A couple of issues Need some help!
« on: May 04, 2012, 05:23:01 PM »
Up front the issues I have is a sudden loss of power, a coolant leak, and my gas mileage has dropped from 70mpg to 62 mpg.

Today someone told me I had some fluid leaking from my bike so I went out at lunch and saw a small puddle of antifreeze under the bike. Pulled the cover and the reservoir looked almost empty. Not sure why it's leaking but I heard a gurgling sound when I pulled the fuel cap off for another problem I'll go into below.

My bigest issue is the sudden loss of power at highway speed. This has started to be a regular yet intermittent problem. The first time it happened right after filling the tank, got 5 miles down the road and I could hear (and feel) the engine make a sudden fall off in power, speed would drop and I'd have to hold full throttle just to maintain any speed close to 50mph.

If I let the bike sit or turn it off and back on it would clear itself. It then started to happen at different times after a fill up. I ran some seafoam through it and it seamed Ok for a few tanks but happened again on my way in to work this morning.

Someone on the Kymco Yahoo group suggested that it might be the fuel cap vent being clogged. I tried to wiggle it while riding but that did nothing. I was about 3 miles from work this morning on the highway when it happened this morning. I pulled in and popped off the fuel cap and heard this "Gurgling" sound as soon as I pulled off the cap. Then was told at lunch my bike was leaking fluids. DOn't know how the fuel system and cooling system could be connected but I need some help trying to figure out where I need to start troubleshooting.

ANy suggestions would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:42:55 PM by p40whk »

jwalz1

• View Profile
Re: A couple of issues Need some help!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 03:32:21 PM »
Are you using high octane gas?

p40whk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 05:17:41 PM »
Are you using high octane gas?

I've been using the middle grade, never 87. Never had a problem with that in the past and doubt it's the octane. It acts as if it's starved for fuel.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 07:36:22 PM »
If a power problem starts after getting fuel, it is almost always bad fuel.
Empty the fuel tank as much as possible and drain the float bowl (if carbs).
... a new fuel filter may be a good idea also.

Add good, Fresh fuel & a fuel system cleaner like SeaFoam, at recommended amount (no more that 2x).
Use a fully-Charged battery before starting the engine.  It may take some minutes for the engine to run well
and even longer to get the remaining crap out of the fuel system

scoot safely
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 06:22:13 AM »
Ok... It is an injected scoot so it has to have a return line from the injector. That alone should be enough to prevent Vapor lok in the fuel system but IF the return fails, the fuel system will continue to build pressure because the vent is designed to allow air into the tank, and seals it from going out. When you open the cap that back pressure is forced back into the tank thru the Primary fuel line creating the Gurggle you here. I believe the failed return is forcing a super rich charge that has overheated the cylinder, and created a head gasket leak for the coolant to escape. Basically a blown head gasket due to a failed injector return line. Hows that sound?
The first easy test is to have a garage pressurize the cooling system to verify the leaks location, and next to run the injector system to verify flow into , and out of the injector port.
I'm pretty sure about this one. Injection is much easier to troubleshoot than a carb system, and I am certified in marine fuel injection both gas/diesel
To top it off the whole issue COULD have been created by "bad gas". IE: Phase separation/water. Injector nozzels are almost micro sized so one tenth of a drop is enough to TRASH an engine.  Sorry if I'm right!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 06:08:08 PM »
Agree with Zombie -- sounds like the head gasket is involved somehow.  This would have to be covered under warranty even if it was caused by bad gasoline.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 09:41:43 PM »
Bad fuel will VOID the warranty. I'd drain it, and re fill with known good fuel before going to the dealer.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 09:43:16 PM »
The warranty covers factory defects... Which this MAY have been. I just used bad fuel as an example of what could cause the issue.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()