Author Topic: Is the gas cap supposed to stick out like that?  (Read 1255 times)

jwalz1

• View Profile
Is the gas cap supposed to stick out like that?
« on: May 04, 2012, 07:51:43 PM »
Just picked mine up from the dealer and it had a quarter gallon in it.  I stopped to fill up and took the cap off but did not really look at it before hand, so when I tried to put it back on I had a seriously hard time with it.  I put it back on and the rubber ring presses up against the filler hole, but the rest of the cap is about an inch above that.  Is that right?  It went on fine like the but then the key was stuck and would not come out.  I had to wrestle the cap off, bang it on the ground a couple times and then the key came free. 

Went back on the same way and key came out fine but it sure looks weird to me.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: Is the gas cap supposed to stick out like that?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 06:52:31 AM »
That's normal.
The key will come out easier with time, but you can rush it a bit with some WD40
in the lock.

When you return the gas cap to the filler hole you're just supposed to press it in,
try with both hands and apply pressure from all sides evenly without touching the key.

It should click and key will turn left.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 07:28:29 AM »
Isnt that supposed to be in the owner's manual?

jwalz1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 03:31:31 PM »
Isnt that supposed to be in the owner's manual?

You'd think.  The manual basically says, turn key clockwise and remove, put it back and turn counter clockwise.  But since my key got stuck and would not come out I thought I was doing something wrong.  The rubber gasket was flush, but the rest of the cap was riding up off the bike.  I thought I had to somehow push the rest of the cap so the plastic part was flush for the key to come out.  Turns out every thing was fine but the lock was just sticky.  It was stuck in their REAL good.  Gonna lube that thing up real good or perhaps just never fill it up again and make it a big expensive paperweight.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()