Author Topic: buying new bike  (Read 2085 times)

gazza1989

• View Profile
buying new bike
« on: May 07, 2012, 04:55:41 PM »
im about to buy a kymco super 8 2010 second hand with one previous owner but was wondering this due to comments from friends should a uk dealer be selling a second hand bike without an MOT? as the one on the bike ended end of april

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
Re: buying new bike
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 05:38:13 PM »
they can but i would ask about the price, if its pricey i would ask him to knock it down so you can get it mot'd. just like cars a car with mot would be summit like £1000 second hand but without mot it would be £600-700 at a guess. as long as the price reflects the fact it has no mot then i would get it, but then i would also take into consideration the condition of the bike itself you may be able to knock sum more off.
Courage is measured in how much tyre you use.

2010 Kymco Agility 72..Naraku 72cc race cylinder...Naraku 50cc race head
Naraku Race CDi...Polini free flow filter...Motoforce Racing Carb
NGK Irirdium plug...Naraku Race Variator...Malossi fly clutch
Stage 6 cnc clutch bell...1500 Rpm torque sprin

gazza1989

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 06:20:12 PM »
well the MOT ran out last week on it and the price is £1399 so im assuming the price was on it when it had an MOT. im trading in my agility 50 2005 which the trade in valur in there book is £285 so he is giving me £300 off the new bike so bike price will be £1099 i pay so do you think i should say well get it MOT'd n al play the £1099 otherwise i wouldnt be willing to spend more than £800!

it is a 2010 n from what i could see it was in exellent condition so very unlikey it wont walk through an mot as my agility 50 2005 did even without working battery and had been off the road in a garage untouched in 5 years.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 07:58:40 PM »
well the MOT ran out last week on it and the price is £1399 so im assuming the price was on it when it had an MOT. im trading in my agility 50 2005 which the trade in valur in there book is £285 so he is giving me £300 off the new bike so bike price will be £1099 i pay so do you think i should say well get it MOT'd n al play the £1099 otherwise i wouldnt be willing to spend more than £800!

it is a 2010 n from what i could see it was in exellent condition so very unlikey it wont walk through an mot as my agility 50 2005 did even without working battery and had been off the road in a garage untouched in 5 years.

Dont buy it without an MOT. Well I wouldnt anyway, not if im spending close to a grand on a scoot. Only time i would ever consider buying something with no MOT would be if it was real cheap, and im talking under £500. Tell him you need it MOT'd and dont want to spend so much only to have to go spend more time and money to MOT it, if he wont do it walk away. If hes a decent UK dealer he will be able to have it MOT'd no problem, do they not do mots at the dealership? If he does then def dont buy it cos there has to be a reason why he didnt mot it, maybe he knows it needs work?

It should fly thro an MOT no probs if its a good one so he has no excuse not to put it thro for you, and he shouldnt ask you to pay the MOT the price, your buyin a scooter and paying over £1000 for it so im sure he can afford the £28 to mot it for you. Oh and the £18 for a yrs tax too. I would tell him you def do want the bike but it must be road legal so you can ride it home once its ready, ie taxed and motd.

Tho the decision is entirely yours, i wouldnt buy,unless he mots and taxes it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 08:01:52 PM by streido »
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 08:02:29 PM »
What dealers is it, i may have heard of them?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

gazza1989

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 08:25:59 PM »
ride on motorcycles im getting it from thats where i got my agility 50 from! can they get the tax tho? do you not need to provide insurance info at post office to get tax disc?

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 09:09:57 PM »
Personally i only use ride on when i really need to, i dont like their prices, they actually quoted me £45 last week for a new belt, not fitted, just the belt  :o The same belt is under £20 online. Dont know how good their service is for mechanicals but they def do mots it says so on their site, http://www.ride-on-motorcycles.co.uk/service.aspx so i would at the very least want it motd cos they can do it themselves in the shop no prob for you.

About the tax, he can easily tax it by showing his insurance to do it for you, despite what he may say.   ??? I know when you buy a new bike its on the road cos my bro just bought a brand new triumph and he drove it out the showroom when he collected it, they had it taxed and motd and he had his own insurance arranged. The guy will prob want to see yiu insuran e cert before he lets you ride it away too if he does mot and tax it for you. Dont listen you their excuses, just tell them what you expect, ie tax and mot and see what they say? If they domt agree i would really walk away. If theyre willing to lose a sale for a half hr mot and tax which will cost them about £30-£40 at most then it would make me suss.

Do you get a warranty of any kind? Since theyre dealers i prob would ask for somekind of warranty too, 3 months maybe.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

gazza1989

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 09:45:59 PM »
i didnt get into full discusion about it as i knew i would be buying today as i needed to go home and speak to insurance company as had agreed an amended price on insurance for a agility 125 2007 so when i found out today i couldnt buy that bike i wanted to have the agreement in place with insurance again! also driving away same day is prefered as im trading in my bike so i wanna drive it there and drive away in new 1.

do u recommend any other local dealers? in that kinda area or closer to my area uddingston

REDKYMCO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 10:34:47 PM »
Have you set your heart on the super 8 because kymco uk have now started selling a new scoot the kymco dj which looks quite sporty and at 1199 brand new with 2 year warranty plus no mot for 3 years it would be a more economical buy and peace of mind, also if the mot has ran out on the super 8 it must be at least 3 years old so 1399 seems a little steep.....
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:44:14 PM by kisbee »
IF IT IS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT:)

gazza1989

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 10:40:32 PM »
that did sound ideal but i went and had a look online and that is a kymco DJ 50 i am looking to move up to a faster 125 bike

REDKYMCO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 10:47:53 PM »
My wife has the agility 125 rs and it is a lively scoot I was thinking of also upgrading to 125 from my a50 but I have just been diagnosed with glucoma so the dvla may take my driving licence of me in a few weeks if I don't pass a field test....
IF IT IS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT:)

gazza1989

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 10:56:53 PM »
sorry to hear that! well if you do pass the field test id personally recomend an upgrade if for no reason other than saftey as even de restricted i can only go 43 on a flat 60 and 30 uphill and you can feel n see people behind to preparing to over take you as your going to slow. had a fair share of close calls due to idiots not waiting for an approprate time to over take n trying it on blind bends ect so thats y im upgrading so i can go speed limit on whatever road im driving

gazza1989

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 06:09:14 PM »
New bike Bought! :D love my super 8 125cc could never go back to a 50 lol paid £1099 n didnt need mot as is only 2 years old n i got them to road tax it!

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 08:48:53 PM »
Cool  8)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ailixhomes

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 10:46:44 AM »
kymco super 8 is really the best bike for ride and it have good features like  125 cc engine. Its looks is really very nice and its runs easy on road. I am also using this bike in last 2 years and it never make me in trouble. It also give good average.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()