Author Topic: CDI Question  (Read 4449 times)

philipgunter

• View Profile
CDI Question
« on: May 07, 2012, 08:23:05 PM »
New CDI Unit question just replaced CDI Unit still no spark :( the new unit has a Green Led on the end of box  anyone know what it for ?? i hooked all 5 wires up
here is how i hooked them up the green led does not come on.

CDI Box                    Scooter
Red                         Black/Red Stripe
Black                       Black/White Stripe
Blue                        Blue/Yellow Stripe
Green                      Green No Stripe
Yellow                     Black/Yellow Stripe

Still no spark and put on New Coil also.

Thanks Everyone

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: CDI Question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:00:16 PM »
Looks like you have it connected correctly.  The green led flashes every time it fires.  I would be suspect of the pulser coil on the stator...sounds like it's not telling the cdi to fire.  To test it disconnect the stator connector and measure resistance between the blue/yellow wire and ground.  It should be between 80 - 160 ohms.

philipgunter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:03:28 PM »
Thank you Shaka,

I will test this out right :) and post what i find.

Philip

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 12:35:45 AM »
Switch the Blue, and the Yellow. You may not see the led light either at starting speed. It does glow better at rpm. The pulse is too fast for low speed/rpm. ( on mine anyway)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

philipgunter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 01:10:34 AM »
Thanks zombie,
But no matter what i try i just cant get spark to come out of the plug:) maybe i should just torch the scooter :) i did the pulser coil test also read was 150 ohm the only parts i have not bought now is a stator and pulser coil and a ignition switch. and a new wiring harness. are there any hidden fuses switches.

Philip 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 01:16:19 AM »
No fuses for the cdi but there is a kill switch on the throttle side control. This will startle you but have you HELD the plug to verify no spark? It may just be weak, and you won't see it. You can get a stator on ebay or the dealer for about 40-50 bucks. I have had SEVERAL bad stators in four years w/ this scoot.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 01:17:25 AM »
Check the engine ground wire too. It should attach at the starter motor. If that is broken/missing it wont run

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 01:30:33 AM »
Check the engine ground wire too.

Good point! Check for continuity between the green wire and the frame.

philipgunter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 01:39:46 AM »
Hi zombie,
I did check the kill switch with a meter when i pressed it the meter went on and off so i guess this part is ok :) as far a spark plug i have not held it in my hand :) should i stand in water for this test  ;D just kidding but you did talk about the green wire on the starter that seems to be on very well. is there a chance when i turn on the key switch it mite not be making contact ?  is there a way to test this switch ?

as always thanks for your help.
 Philip

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 03:07:48 AM »
I was referring to the green wire leading into the cdi...make sure it is grounded.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 03:18:45 AM »
One of those wires goes to the kill switch I think it's the black, and red. Try snipping that one near the cdi. I have had a bad switch on a customers scoot. The kill stayed grounded even with the key on.
Don't stand in water. Use black powder instead. If it don't spark just sweep it up. Water gets your socks wet.
On the real.... Try to spin it over holding the plug. That will tell if it's dead, or just lazy. The ground at the starter should be direct to the battery, and another ground to the cdi will eliminate that issue for testing if the spark is just weak.

philipgunter

• View Profile
CDI Update but still no spark?
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 06:56:44 PM »
Hello Everyone,
after taking all the info from this post i started i am down to still no spark so let me post all i have done :)

New - cdi
New - Plug
New - coil
checked the ground wire to starter.
checked the green wire going into cdi.
checked connection to cdi all are no good.
 ;D Held spark plug in hand while trying to start it no shock to me :)
checked kill switch it is good.
But there is some good news the Green led on the cdi box does flash when i try to start it. not bright But it does flash. so this is where im at no spark at plug.
clipped Black and red wire at cdi did not work so i hooked it back up.
Any ideas will be checked out?

Thank You
Every one for all your input.  
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:25:38 PM by philipgunter »

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 09:06:43 PM »
Do you have a copy of the service manual?  If not here it is...http://www.kymco.it/contributi/download/MANUALI_OFFICINA/MO%20ZX50%20(inglese).zip

philipgunter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 09:12:26 PM »
No but i do now  ;D thank you.

Philip

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 09:42:52 PM »
No worries!  Read through that and post any ?'s.  I don't know what the problem is?  It seems the only thing you haven't replaced is the stator and ignition switch.  Maybe re-check all of your connections?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()