Author Topic: ERMax windscreen finally here  (Read 4012 times)

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
ERMax windscreen finally here
« on: May 09, 2012, 03:17:23 PM »
So I ordered this ERMax windscreen from www.redracingparts.com in early January. I received it two weeks ago. I am not recommending using this site unless you can wait four or five months for your parts. So yesterday I finally got around to installing it on my bike. Personally, I prefer the low-cut sporty black screen the bike comes with, however practicality takes over and I then prefer the wind blocking attributes of the taller screen. It is probably the stock height of the '07 and under XC500's.
One of the things about this screen is that at higher speeds, the wind buffeting does affect the handling of the bike. It was a slightly gusty day yesterday when I took it out for a 100 mile run. This is either something I will get used to, or something that will cause me to go back to stock. The screen is just a hair under my line of sight, but getting used to the top edge of the screen bobbing with my body's motion is another "gotta get used to it" attribute. The screen is nicely made and fit perfectly. It has a dark tint at the bottom and a light shade of blue tint on the clear part. I like the look of it overall and the comfort it brings but time will tell if I like the handling difference over the stock version.

Simon
2009 Kymco Xciting Ri With no mods.

sissy mary

• View Profile
Re: ERMax windscreen finally here
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 07:27:45 PM »
I think you will get used to it. I have the huge Givi and it seems to work fine. It sure looks better than the Givi with the color and all. :-*

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 03:04:02 PM »
I didn't care much for the stock, smoked windscreen that came with my 2012 xciting.  Not because of the looks but because the wind buffetting was just too much.

I bought and had installed, the GIVI tall windscreen.  I love the fact that wind buffetting is almost nil.  It makes for a much nicer ride.  However, it is tall.  I have a concern that in a rain storm, visibillity might be an issue.  So, I rain-x'd it.  We'll see how that works.

As for improving the looks of this big guy, I went out and bought some chrome / vinyl trim at the local auto parts store.  It definitely, adds a finishing touch to the looks and makes the big screen a little more estetically pleasing.

Maybe the ERMax would be a good compromise.  I just don't know if I would want to wait that long as you did to get it.  Can you post a pic or two?

Don in KC.  Wow, it sure is nice scooting weather here.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 04:47:33 PM »
What did it cost you for the screen? And Rain X is worthless on the Givi screen. I have tried it a few times and I think it accually makes it worse in the rain. I hear the only way to go is to use Nu-Finish? I have not tried it yet. :-*

ahonekal

• Jep Jep
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: ERMax windscreen finally here
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 07:01:14 PM »
I think you will get used to it. I have the huge Givi and it seems to work fine. It sure looks better than the Givi with the color and all. :-*

Are you happy with your givi? Im thinking about to order one from italy. Just over 100 euros incl post.

http://www.piqumoto.com/webstore/PARABREZZA-GIVI-KYMCO-XCITING-250-300-500-06

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 08:50:09 PM »
Yes it's great. It is very tall & you can not look over it when it rains. So that's why I plan on using Nu-Finish on it. Someone on this forum said it was the only product indorsed by Givi to use on their shields? If this is true, I have no idea, but many people say it works very well and that the water just blow's off it and does not bead. Thats the problem with Rain X, it seems to make the water bead even more than just a non coated shield. Go figure. But in it's defence, (rain X), it's does not state it is for plastic, so it may work very well on glass? Yes the Givi is tall and wide, it makes it like riding a Gold Wing. My wife says she does not get the wind blast as she has on other bikes in the past. :-*

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 03:30:41 AM »
I paid $107 shipped. Not a bad price for some Parisian plastic, but the delay in getting it was ultra frustrating. In the end, I wrote it off, but it did arrive. I haven't ridden the bike as work got in the way again. Pesky thing...
Simon

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 04:59:32 AM »
Chandler, why don't you try installing it in the lower position?  It'll still be taller than your stock windshield, I believe.  I like my stock one in the lower position -- I can still always duck down a little if I want more protection during rain or whatever.  Thanks for the picture!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 05:01:33 AM by Hoolander2 »

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 05:22:09 AM »
At the position it's in, feels right for cruising around without *ahem* gear, but then again, our temps are up there this time of year. Excellent flying locust protection. Ever have one of them bastards splat open on you?!!
I'll try lowering it to see how it looks. I never gave it much thought until you mentioned it. I hope all is well, haven't read much posts from you but then again, I haven't been online as often as I used to be. The pesky thing called work has been getting in the way!
Simon

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 01:34:55 AM »
Just cut the givi folks to just below eye level. If you wanna kn
ow how to do it pm me.

Oldscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 07:13:31 PM »
That's a good looking windshield. I have an Ermax on my GT300i and would like one for my new 500 Ri ABS (which should arrive anyday).  How tall are you?  Looking over and under the rim is dependant upon my things such as posture, trunk length etc but height is a good starting place.

I purchased my Ermax from Silverstone Motor and had great results. 

Thanks in advance.     

Oldscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 08:35:43 PM »
One more question - which Ermax model did you order? They make a sport, a standard and a tall.  What model year desigantion did you use? In europe they've had the newly designed front for several years.

Thanks.     

Spindrift

• View Profile
Re: Sv: ERMax windscreen finally here
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 08:53:41 PM »
I have the tall Givi vindscreen and like it. Maybee it comes with age... much more relaxing ride but you have to get use to looking thru it all the time.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()