Author Topic: Said My Goodbye to 300i  (Read 3579 times)

Syl

• View Profile
Said My Goodbye to 300i
« on: May 13, 2012, 11:10:30 AM »
Well, I stepped up in the world, I hope...and will pick up my new Xciting 500RI tomorrow. Have been with the 300i Forum for a time and hope to put my
layman comments and questions to 500i owners. Like a kid with a new toy, I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow and a white one at that. Looking forward to some of the different items of change especially the power and weight increase. My first question is from the 500RI owners, did I make a mistake in any way?
2nd, I have a V46 GIVI Box on the 300i, is there a mount available for it to the Xciting? Further...any advise, remarks would be greatly appreciated. I am a retired News Photographer (Photojournalist) and not a mechanic but am a tinker with things. Lookimg forward to meeting people here and reading the knowledge that one can obtain...

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: Said My Goodbye to 300i
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 11:18:34 AM »
I already replied to your other new thread :) but this one tells me that we can expect some quality photos..  ;D
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 11:27:49 AM »
Yes, I read your reply and thank you for that. Also, thanks for the praise of "Quality Photo's", will hope to live up to that! At least I know some of the great people leaving the 300i Forum will be available here! I am expecting a feeling of a bit more power so hopefully it will not be something that isn't what I expect it to be. I said before that a 200 wasn't going to be sold but here I am at a 500! This time, this will have to do and I can honestly state that I won't go up any higher...money wise and other! Thanks for your advise.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 11:43:29 AM »
Yes, I read your reply and thank you for that. Also, thanks for the praise of "Quality Photo's", will hope to live up to that! At least I know some of the great people leaving the 300i Forum will be available here! I am expecting a feeling of a bit more power so hopefully it will not be something that isn't what I expect it to be. I said before that a 200 wasn't going to be sold but here I am at a 500! This time, this will have to do and I can honestly state that I won't go up any higher...money wise and other! Thanks for your advise.

You will feel more power, even if only subjectively, the DT300 will keep ahead of the XC500 from my experience up to
around 75mph  ;D and with 14gr Dr pulley sliders on the DT300 by the time both reach 75 the DT would be a few bike
lengths ahead!

BUT!

XC500 will work great with Dr Pulley sliders too  ;)
I'm surprised you didn't already try that..

Going some 10% lighter will get you from 0-60mph 1-2 seconds faster, and
cruising revs above 65mph will be considerably lower. It's the best, cheapest mod
that I've encountered on any scoot!

As for pics.. we should totaly do a Kymco Pic competition here.  ;)

'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
Yes, Givi makes a box mounting kit for the X500. :-* Take it from me, leave it stock and ride it! :-*

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 08:34:36 AM »
sissy Mary, sri, don't know what you mean about "leave it stock and ride it"???

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 11:12:04 AM »
I mean do not change anything in the clutch or variator/transmission. It will work perfect for what you need and how you ride. I have tried Dr Pulley sliding roller weights and my drive belt shredded twice? Both times wiping out my variators along with the belt. Some people will say that weights can not snap belts, but if the weights hang/lock up in the variator, or one or more get out of place at install time your screwed and left at the side of the road. The rollers in your bike now ROLL. Dr Pulleys SLIDE. If the Dr P's do not slide or get jammed in the variator pulley's, then it can not open & close as it should, causing the belt to heat up, break the belt and maybe even worst, lock up your variator as it did on my X500 twice. My bike has over 30,000 miles on it now and the clutch pads are still in good working order. Go ahead and ad a box and or windshield. But leave the engine and transmission alone. My bike is now a stock carburettor 2007 model. I road it 100 miles saturday and I got 55 MPG. I once road 1,004 miles in one day. The X500 is perfect for around town or touring. You need to change nothing. Take it from me, (an idiot), who just had to tinker with stuff, and who now is out of pocket a few grand because of my stupidity. enough said! :-*

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 09:43:32 PM »
sissy mary, thank you for all that and it is well taken. I will add a box and that is it! I don't like the mounting procedure I looked at from GIVI, SR91, $140.00 and the bracket mounting involved. I have to think hard about that at this point. Again, thank you for the input. Bye the way, I just picked up the new Xciting 500Ri this morning! Going to relate in my next topic a bit!

Oldscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 10:10:33 PM »
Syl - I'm thinking of adding a 2012 500R to my collection.  What are your impressions comparing your new 500 to your former 300?   

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 11:00:15 PM »
Thanks for asking....it was definitely a good move. I am a fairly good size male and the 300 had some limits with my weight and staying up with bigger units of same or different make. I would do it all over again. One thing noticeable of course is the weight, I didn't struggle at times with backing or moving the 300 about but with the 500, the weight difference is very noticeable in doing the same. I have a bad knee but even still I am able to do want I need to with a bit more effort. Also, even though I had many good comments on the 300, I get many people coming over and asking about my white 500 RI and the words from them was all very good at what they were looking at. The gas, well, as can be expected, the 3.38 gallon tank doesn't give the mileage the 300 did of course but rest assured when you want some power and speed, it is there and than some. You will not go wrong with thinking up for sure. Good Luck!

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 11:08:50 PM »
I placed this photo a while back but feel some may not mind seeing the until I am very happy with!

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 11:12:40 PM »
Just the other view!

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 11:15:49 PM »
Sorry, one more of my unit!

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 11:30:01 PM »
I don't want to leave out the fact that I went from my 200 - 300 & now the 500 with a Box on the back. This is one of the best things I kept doing with the fact I am a retired news photographer and carry my cameras and at times, one of my body guards.....pistols!! Am including the photo close up of this Givi 46.

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 08:17:10 PM »
I heartily reccommend a big Givi windshield as the most practical mod you can make.

Easy to mount and easy to return to stock, and the further you go, the more you enjoy the quiet, smooth ride. That little shield must get tiring from all the buffetting at speed.

I have the tall stock one on my 07, and it's comfortable, but not as luxurious as the Givi, so I only use it when it real hot out.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()