Author Topic: nimble adiction  (Read 1370 times)

bilyum

• Super 8 150
    • View Profile
nimble adiction
« on: May 13, 2012, 03:43:52 PM »
After owning a 150 cc scooter, is it possible to  like a larger scooter.I keep looking at larger scooters (250's and 400's) but they just don't seem to be as metro oriented as the 150. The super 8 seems to be a do it all scooter and to top it off it is a very maneuverable ride. The only flaw so far is the stiff suspension and storage (no place for garage door opener).
Anyone out there gone from a 150 to 250 and are sorry to have done so?How much difference is there in turning and city riding. The mpg's are near the same unless everyone is stretching the truth  about gas mileage.
Later
bilyum

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Re: nimble adiction
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 12:35:42 AM »
My scooter is 175 cc and I commute to a major city pretty much 5 days a week. I've ridden a 50 cc scooter. They're easier to manually move to park, but I've had no problems getting around on my own bike. Actually I've seen the small scooter riders (especially the 50 cc sizes) recklessly weave in and out of traffic. Sometimes I think the small bikes make riders -- especially if they are new, and without a permit, or training -- more dangerous to themselves and others because they're easy to handle.

-Wolf

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 01:58:21 AM »
I like the smaller scoots better. Otherwise I would get a real bike. Even at the 175cc range there is no caparison between a scoot, and a real bike. Who would want a 250 Kymco when for just a bit more you can have a Ninja 250.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 03:08:44 AM »
Scooter -- cheaper insurance, better storage, free parking on sidewalks (where I live) and in many cases better gas milage.

Personally, not interested in seeing the world at 90 plus MPH. 40 - 60 MPH is fine. Scooters come out as a better deal for me.

S/W

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 03:11:17 AM »
You can, because power corrupts. Actually, you don't need more power until your roads change. Meaning what speeds do you need to travel at to be safe. traveling at the same speed as traffic is much safer, and when you notice that small cars towing travel trailers are passing you while you are at full throttle, yes you need a bigger scooter.

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 10:25:44 PM »
It's going to depend on the 250cc scooter - they are not all created equal.  I do a lot of city driving and like my Xciting 250.  Yes it may not be as nimble as a 220 lb 150cc - it weighs over 400 lbs, but it is still more than maneuverable enough in traffic.  Plus, since it is built to the same specs as the Xciting 500cc, it stops on a dime - very important in the traffic I commute in.  Also I like the added versatility of being able to take it on the highways for 50+ mile trips to Cape Cod or Newport.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

AVGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 03:22:17 PM »
I had a 150 for a year, sold it and got the Grand Vista 250. For me it's the perfect size. My commute is only 4 miles at 40 mph max and this scoot does that very well while still being very maneuverable and getting great mileage. And it has the horsepower to run at 60 mph or more on the highways in the area.

I belong to a riding club that is mainly motorcycles and find myself wishing for a bigger bike for the longer rides on the interstates, which I won't ride on with my 250. Someday I may have a Burgmann or Silverwing also in my garage.
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 03:32:04 PM »
I'm thinking of upgrading to a Grandvista specifically for longer trip. What's your max speed?

-Wolf

AVGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 01:09:23 AM »
I've had it up to 65 on good roads, but haven't yet maxed it out. I'm waiting for a calm day on a smooth road to see what she'll do. I don't think I'd want to cruise all day at interstate speeds - 70 or above.
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 03:50:09 AM »
I've ran my Yager at 65 max. I would imagine you can get higher than that with a 250. Hope so.

-Wolf

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()