Author Topic: Kymco yup 50 Steering head bearing size?  (Read 3708 times)

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: Kymco yup 50 Steering head bearing size?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 12:11:40 AM »
so basically i just loosen the bolt on the front and adjust them back? as in the wheel is not straight when the bars are

You got it.

colourcode

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 12:14:38 AM »
thats amazing i thought i  had to loosen the yokes and all that crap after i fell off :( and the handlebars went not straight :(

Nex question lol, will 16mm end weights fit it as in these ones? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290643211070#ht_912wt_1163

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 12:50:24 AM »
May be able to roll the front wheel up to a curb or pole and "smack" it sideways to straighten the bars back out also....I've done that more times than I even know.  ;)  To replace the headset bearings your going to have to drop the fork and remove the stem and bars anyways, so may as well just deal with it then...

I'm not 100% on the bar weight size and I really don't want to go pull mine out to measure right now.  The external bar size is 7/8"/22.2mm so 16mm sounds about right for internal diameter, plus the rubber expands quite a bit when you tighten the screw.  Better too small than too big. 

colourcode

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 01:02:31 AM »
all brilliant cheers mate, i think I can get the bearings in without taking it all off using thick grease to seat them until i've finished so instead of giving kymco 50p per bearing ill get a big pack for a couple ££ then sort it all out, will try whacking the wheel but the front mudguard is cracked and could give in!

Many thanks mate you've been a superb help and sorted me right out!

All the best!

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 01:18:30 AM »
No worries!  I would still recommend dropping the fork and cleaning out both the top and bottom cups and repacking both.  You should not be able to get the bearings in without removing/loosening the top race and lockring.  To get to those the stem typically needs to be removed and it takes 2 big flat wrenches (something like a 44mm).  It's not that difficult, having someone hold the handlebar assembly will help...that way you don't really have to fully disconnect all the wiring and brakes.  You just have to pop it up/off and move to the side.  Good luck!!!

colourcode

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 10:47:28 AM »
no thats what I did trying to adjust the steering, I live on a farm so I have a lot of big wrenches for tractors etc, the bottom bolt comes loose when you unscrew the lockring and thats how all the bearings fell out LOL, i should get away with just loosening all the way off then pushing from wheel up and holding it there with something then greasing up and popping in one by one :D

then simply screw the bolt and lockring back down!

Thanks every so much for your help i'll let you know how it goes! the bearings weren't even bad in the first place I just f***ed up lol

colourcode

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 12:30:23 AM »
Shaka i've started a new thread can you help please x

colourcode

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 12:39:03 AM »
I will do tomorrow morning sometime if you could help (picture heavy)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 03:21:55 AM »
It's a bearing cage that is supposed to be in there. If the balls fell out... The bearing is destroyed. Just mike out the size or see if the top bearing is good enough to compare. They're cheap! http://www.partsforscooters.com/ or the local hardware.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 04:41:51 AM »
I figured they may be caged, although Stadium lists it as 55 individual and not 1...never dropped the fork on my ZX though.  The Chinese scoot I did had loose balls...that's how I prefer to run them anyways...less friction!  Pun intended ;)  If they are caged you can run them loose, you just add a few extra to take up the extra space.

colourcode

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 11:23:20 AM »
no thats not the problem, adjusting the steering is! amongst other things :( i need to upload all these pics but the bearings are loose not caged x

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()