Author Topic: Going for a new helmet  (Read 6524 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Going for a new helmet
« on: May 13, 2012, 11:57:56 PM »
I'm going Tuesday for anew full face or modular type helmet.

Are there any ratings that would point me to 1 being safer then another 1* VS. 5* rating etc?

I see the various options for air intake etc. on the higher cost sets but do they protect any better to go alone with the higher price?

I'm looking to get an inexpensive helmet (under $200) but can be persuaded to spend more if it really makes a difference.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Going for a new helmet
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 04:39:25 AM »
A lot of shops will have demos that you could try out. I would avoid on line purchases for something as personal as a proper fitting helmet.
This one is extreme but will protect your noggin'.

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 09:22:11 PM »
More expensive helmets tend to have a better finish, be more comfortable, have better vents and be quieter.  There is NO evidence they are any safer.  Until the most recent Snell Standard came out, the cheap, non Snell rated helmets were probably safer.   I recommend you find something that fits well and is in your price range.  I recently bought a full face helmet at Cycle Gear for $50.  I bought it as a back-up/ spare to my modular helmet.  I am pretty happy with it so far and am not the least bit concerned about how safe it is since it does meet DOT standards.   
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

S/W

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 01:20:01 AM »
Yes, don't buy a helmet with out trying it on. Also, if you have a funny shaped head, keep the helmet on for as long as possible to bring out any "hard spots".

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 01:47:04 AM »
Safety standards for helmets has nothing to do with comfort and fit. The ratings are done to determine if it will protect the user or not. The usual test for helmets is the anvil test wherein a helmet is dropped on an anvil. This is usually done on your DOT approved helmet. This simulates an "accident" while riding at normal speeds.  Other helmets use the accelerated anvil test or crashing the helmet at a high speed to simulate a crash from a high speed ride or race. I think this is one of the ECE rating and is more stricter in the testing process because each manufactured batch has to be certified by an independent testing facility while the DOT Standard can be tested and self-certified by the factory where it was made. There are a lot of standards being used worldwide. JIT, BIS, etc.  Also, DOT helmets may be made of Polycarbonate plastic and the higher rated helmet made of Fiber Reinforced Plastic, carbon fiber, etc.  Choose a helmet that is snug on your face. A full face helmet that is loose is dangerous as it's strap can choke a person in an accident.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 01:50:48 AM »
Full face helmets scare the heck out of me. I feel too limited in vision. For track type stuff I wear a standard old Bell. On the highway only I wear a skull cap. Around town I hope it will be quick!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 04:42:01 PM »
Thanks guys, I have a helmet now but not full face and need one for my road test, going to pick one out in a couple of hours. Going with modular if I can get one I like. Will wear it around the shop for awhile to make sure I don't get a headache.

Will report back on what I get.

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 05:07:37 PM »
I just got a Hawk modular full face.  I had to shave a little off for my ears.  The helmet is great.  Very comfortable and I hope very safe.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

jwalz1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 06:21:46 PM »
Well this is probably late for a recommendation but I thought I would throw in my two cents on a particular model.

I bought a Scorpion EXO 700 for ~$110 on an internet site.  You will find a similar price at several.  It is DOT and Snell rated (if that means anything to you) extremely comfortable, has good airflow and WILL NOT FOG.    It is a nice helmet for a good price.  And as far as full face visability goes, it does not intrude into my vision at all.

The downside is that Scorpions can have a larger shell size than say an Arai, so it has a bobblehead look, but it is a nice piece.

I was looking at user reviews on one site and a guy claimed he high-sided at high speed and hit head first at the track on a crotch rocket and walked away.  He could be lying, but he swore by the thing.  I have seen threads on other boards about bad helmet experiences and lots of dental work using cheap helemts.  I will spend the extra cash, thanks.  I plan to keep the Scorpion as a second and get an Arai next year.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 11:02:21 PM »
OK shoot me.

Out of rounds?

Here's what happened, I went to the local bike shop and they didn't have a modular in stock for under $200 so I picked up a full face unit for $104. The kill me part comes from I don't remember the nemae brand of the helmet or the model. I'll have to wear it again and report back. It has 2 air vents and I like the fit.

I could have ordered a modular unit from their web site but I need a helmet with a face sheild for my road test which is next week and I didn;t want to take a chance of it not coming in, in time.

I'm happy with the purchase but will have to see how hot it gets in summer, I do have my 3/4 helmet for hot days with no face protection.

Thanks for all the advice, knowing me I'll still pick up a modular in the coming months.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 11:51:26 PM »
Yeah you tend to pick up new helmets every now and again, i got 7 so far  :D 3 of my own, 1 for the wife, 2 for my son and 1 for my daughter.

Usually starts with "Ooooooooooo shiney", closely followed by "kerching" as the register closes  :D

Im on the look out for number 8 now, i dont own an open face one yet  :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 11:53:30 PM »
...i wouldn ride with anything other than a full-face...always have...

..i have this one helmet with a 2 inch gash right down front, where a rock zinged at me...nearly knocked me off the scoot, and i even saw it coming...

..with a skull-cap, or whatever else, that rock woulda shatterred my teeth...

..im currently wearing a Fulmer modular that i got on sale at a yamaha shop for $125.00...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:00:48 AM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 11:59:12 PM »
You might want to check out one of these for your 3/4 at the motorcycle superstore : Bell Flip-Up Visor Shield for Shorty and R/T Helmets . They scratch easily but work well and are cheap .

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 12:06:56 AM »
35 years ago I was on 95 north in Miami, and a dump truck in front of me looked odd. The reason was a round rock the size of a grapefruit was wedged between the rear duely tires. Just as I realized what was going to happen... it did. The rock shot out like a cannon, and missed my BARE head by enough that I heard the wizzz. I heard it hit the car about 100' behind me, and the skid that ensued. I stooped/turned around on the grass, and the rock went thru the windshield, broke the headrest on the passenger side, and dented the roof of the car.
You never know...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 12:07:44 AM »
..you sure dont...ever know...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()