Author Topic: 2012 OEM CDI is restricted  (Read 5527 times)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 OEM CDI is restricted
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 12:28:17 PM »
The boss was already smooth did not need to change it.

..that's what i've been seeing on nearly every new scoot i've looked at....

..bet there's a smaller, or non-adjustable carb on it!!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 12:43:25 PM »
I also have a 2012, I changed the CDI to a race CDI, took the washer off the variator and installed 5.5 rollers. I'm getting 44-45 mph now. The boss was already smooth did not need to change it.

Which washer on the variator? Mine had no washer?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 01:20:30 PM »
...i have not seen any washers either....hmmmm...

Exe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 03:48:03 PM »
The boss was already smooth did not need to change it.

..that's what i've been seeing on nearly every new scoot i've looked at....

..bet there's a smaller, or non-adjustable carb on it!!

Smaller not sure, but there are new EPA regulations so you have to have specialized tools to adjust the carburetor.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 04:18:58 PM »
Smaller not sure, but there are new EPA regulations so you have to have specialized tools to adjust the carburetor.

What a pain  ??? Makes sense does it really? Im sure the proper tool to open it will be available on ebay etc for a couple of bucks so whats the point of trying to keep you out the carb? If you cant buy the tool then its not servicable, unless your a Kymco dealer, so i would swap it over for a new aftermarket one if it was me as soon as i needed to upjet, clean jets or tune it.

Im all for improving the enviroment and cutting emmissions etc but this seems a complete waste of time in the US. While you ride your little kymco with its sealed carb the guy overtaking you is getting about 15-20mpg in his truck, why not tarvet them instead kf 50cc scooter guys?  :-\
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Exe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 04:24:01 PM »
What a pain  ??? Makes sense does it really? Im sure the proper tool to open it will be available on ebay etc for a couple of bucks so whats the point of trying to keep you out the carb? If you cant buy the tool then its not servicable, unless your a Kymco dealer, so i would swap it over for a new aftermarket one if it was me as soon as i needed to upjet, clean jets or tune it.

Im all for improving the enviroment and cutting emmissions etc but this seems a complete waste of time in the US. While you ride your little kymco with its sealed carb the guy overtaking you is getting about 15-20mpg in his truck, why not tarvet them instead kf 50cc scooter guys?  :-\

Smaller engines burn fuel and treat it differently than more modern and advance full sized vehicles.  A lawn more currently outputs more harmful gases than an eight cylinder SUV or truck does.  I believe lawn equipment has new regulations which started this year.

kwflfire

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 08:37:52 PM »
Which washer on the variator? Mine had no washer?

under the nut that holds the varator on there was a rather thick washer.  that was the first thing i did and got 3 mph just by removing it.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 08:46:20 PM »
under the nut that holds the varator on there was a rather thick washer.  that was the first thing i did and got 3 mph just by removing it.

Nope i dont have that and never did  :-\

All i have is the nut that goes onto the crank to hold on the variator, no washer on mine but i do have a metal washer thats molded into the plastic fan on the outside. If def wont come off mine as its part of the fan itself. Mine sits flush anyway so i guess it makes no difference on my 2008 model.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 09:23:05 PM »
under the nut that holds the varator on there was a rather thick washer

..ummm...removing that washer will do nothing to change the geometry of the variator...and will not affect performance in any way...

...the purpose of that washer is to give the nut a hardened seat to tighten against, as opposed to seating against the splined fan retainer.

..i suggest puttng it back!!!!!

kwflfire

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 10:42:42 PM »
under the nut that holds the varator on there was a rather thick washer

..ummm...removing that washer will do nothing to change the geometry of the variator...and will not affect performance in any way...

...the purpose of that washer is to give the nut a hardened seat to tighten against, as opposed to seating against the splined fan retainer.

..i suggest puttng it back!!!!!

the splined fan has a metal washer thats molded into the plastic fan on the outside.

i had read on the this forum to remover it, and it did give me 3-4 mph after it was removed???

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 10:49:12 PM »
the splined fan has a metal washer thats molded into the plastic fan on the outside.

Thats like mine then,i dont have a washer apart from the one molded into the plastic fan?  :-\

Just wondering now if i di have one but maybe i forgot to refit it sometime in the past  ???
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 11:25:47 PM »
Excuse us KWFI... Can't you see the facts don't matter? It's a cdi war going on.  Git um Slinger!!!!!!!!!
Just kidding you KWFI. We are ALWAYS glad to see positive results... Now back to the war!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

kwflfire

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 12:17:18 AM »
LOL....so true, now back to our regulator program.... ;D

I took out the OEM CDI and replaced it with a Race CDI and grained another 3-5 mph so the OEM CDI must be restricted....

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 12:20:43 AM »
...all oem 50cc kymco scooters have a washer there streido...

...kwfi, i'm sorry...but it just isnt possible that removing that washer increased your performance...

...to change the variators drive ratio, you must change something that affects how close the two drive face halves can come together...removing the washer from th OUTSIDE of the drive face does nothing to change that.....

...love you bro, but itsa true story....

kwflfire

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 12:33:37 AM »
next time I open it up I'll put the washer back on and see.....

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()