Author Topic: ZX 50 4th/or 7th/ or umpteenth build...  (Read 65199 times)

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
Re: ZX 50 4th/or 7th/ or umpteenth build...
« Reply #345 on: August 22, 2012, 02:44:06 PM »
Im surprised you havent relocated your top shock mount more rear and outboard yet. It will make more room for tire expansion and size.
I would worry if using aluminum for the taper adapter as it is a rotating part and not a stationary like a head gasket. You may as well use tin foil and jb weld if you go that route in my opinion, initial thickness of the aluminum will half I would guess. What about shaving it down further on either end and using a bigger "adapter fitting" that wouldnt be so small, like maybe 2mm? What did the guys at the machine shop say?
Im really glad your the one doing this and not me ha, sounds like a PITA but betcha its going to run like a striped rat being chased by a pisse.d off drunk one eyed chicken hawk.
GO GO Zombie! First thing I thought about the front fascia is it needed a gas mask, then that pic the guy posted was really close resemblance to my vision.
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 22, 2012, 10:18:42 PM »
The shock mount works out fine w/ a 3.25 extension on the engine mount. It laid the angle down a bit but actually feels better than stock. The air shock will top it off.
I did get to the rotor today... I did make it w/ 6310 Alum. I got the usable fat end taper of 14.3mm, and the fat end of the rotor of 16.1mm. I cut a paper template, and then used that on some 1mm stock to cut the adapter.

The first one you see shaped on the bench was a trial to see that it could be done well. The following shots are of it installed inside the rotor, and again on the crank. It DID stick out too far from the aditional thickness of the stoch (1mm vs .9mm) but using an impact I was able to get it exactly in position. It is actually harder to remove than steel on steel. The alum deforms down into the key slot, and becomes semi permanent on the shaft. I like the way it worked out.

Here's the cut down rotor side by side w/ an oem... 2mm off made it fit but no fan...

I supose I could have shimmed the fan but that was getting too far off track for me. I want easy. This whole Ign. has been hard to set up from the start. Finally some picts of the fan/shroud installed. It all fits. Between the CVT mods/ crank mod / Ign mods. I estimate 7-8 lbs have been removed from the drive train. This engine should have NO trouble hitting MAX RPM in a second.

Finally one of my Pups... My current distraction... There's 11 of them. Plus four adults

I attempted to weld my Engine mounts, and some small added bracing, and a wire Feed welder doesn't dent the steel of the frame. I have to bring it to a buddies shop for some Tig action this week. The next step is to time the Ign to TDC on the engine. I plan to pull the jug, and do some work on the piston, and Cyl skirts. I'll post it up as it happens. I also need to measure my durations and get an idea how this puppy is gonna perform.
I really thought I would be done by now... Oh well. Always one more tweak. Allways.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 22, 2012, 10:37:26 PM »
Your kitty looks a wee bit concerned.
Damn fine progress you're making on the beast, sir. Definitely an inspiration!
sans scooter, rien

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 22, 2012, 10:43:56 PM »
Puppies!  ;D
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 22, 2012, 10:53:51 PM »
The cats here act like dogs. I walk a dog, and have 4-5 cats tag along. They attack sh** like the dogs do too. I've seen my cats chase off neighbors dogs cause they have 4 dogs of their own to back them. Identity crisis for sure. Lil Gansta Cats.
I appreciate the good words Wass... This build is never ending. I keep finding more to do. Depending on the durations I may mess w/ the jugs porting some more. I'm thinking of widening the Exh. by 6mm more to get 60% area on the port. Right now I am at 55% of the bore size. Up from 47% oem.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 22, 2012, 11:02:29 PM »
Thats a mean lookin engine alright. Its always all the small sh** that eats up the time. Dont know how many times i planned my day out in the garage, "ok, 1/2hr to do this, then couple of hours for that, spend an hour tweaking those and i got to take about 45 mins to paint them. Cool, that leaves the afternoon to chillax"............come 10pm and im still on No2  :D

Least your on the home stretch now, wont be too long till the beast ia unleashed :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 22, 2012, 11:07:02 PM »
Yeah... Home stretch. That's what keeps me going. I could start assembly but after sooooo much I may as well get it all in one shot. Hopefully I covered all the bases. Oh... Found I need a new coper/aluminum gasket for the trans drain plug. Some nice new gear oil on the case today. Never ends.

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 23, 2012, 03:22:33 PM »
Did you roll that collet yourself?
Tig is the way to go welding on the frame permanently we found.
With opening the exhaust port up that much are you worried about ring life or are you like me and figure a good tear down every month or so is worth it? I need to take pics of the porting my neighbor did to one of his corsas exhaust, it looks monster.
I hope hpi sends you something for all this research and hard work, they really threw a monkey wrench in the mix. Seriously you did more R&D than they did on this one it seems. Do you know if the kit you got was also for a honda dio engine? AF16/AF18?
Ive noticed small differences between the kymco zx50 block and the dio af16/18. non interchangeable starter, charging system, engine cover etc, cvt cover etc.
Where do i find the neat fan shroud inlet thing you have? Ive seen a lot of people with them lately. Whatever extra edge to help cool these little AC engines helps.
Excellent work sir.
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 23, 2012, 05:11:45 PM »
The "collet was pretty easy... I have a body hammer with a 5* taper. The crank is 5.5*. I just hel it on the hammer, and rolled it on an anvil. Once it was close enough I inserted it into my OEM flywheel, and drove it home using the taper cut off an old crank. I left it wider than nesc. so I could pull it out, and trim to size. I do have to check it for run out with a dial indicator but I am confident it will be perfect.
I pretty much change rings every few months anyway so I'm not concerned about wear. This is just a weekend track ride anyway. Maybe once or twice on the street but not a daily driver. I'm sticking to 4t's for daily now. Much cheaper to run, and 4-5 times as reliable. I've read that 70% area is the optimal for the corsa's exhaust opening. I'm gonna creep up on that to be sure. I may end up getting the MID size Scorpion pipe to handle that but I'm not sure yet.
The DIO is the same crank as the ZX so the issue will be the rotor. They have the ZX listed as a direct application but Willy told me the 15.5mm rotor is the smallest they have. I do have to call to double check why... Maybe they quit making a 14.5? IDK! I'm sure the rest of the kit will fit. The stator mounting plate is adjustable for several applications, and being aluminum it is easy to re work if needed.
http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=tipsandtricks&action=print&thread=17129
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scooter-Chrome-Fan-Cover-Scoop-GY6-150cc-Chinese-Scooter-Parts-Performance-/150867289137
http://www.racingplanetusa.com/spoiler-scoop-different-colors-universal-p-2592-1.html
Just a few of those fan shrouds... I have no temp gauge on the Cyl head so I can not say it adds more air but all the race bikes use them. It really HAS to force more air over 40 or so mph... I actually had mine pull the screws off at 60mph, and had to screw/glue it on.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 24, 2012, 01:54:41 AM »
..dang z, you got that sh** going on...wish i was headed down there...

..this was supposed to be the weekend of travel...

..also, you gotta buncha dang critters!

..like how the black cat is lurking off to th side..lol..
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 24, 2012, 03:27:28 AM »
Look closer... There's actually three cats in that mix. One is part white, and is easiest to find. The other all you see is a tail. It's under the puppies. I think there's only 8 of the puppies in the pict too. 3 more somewhere. We're looking right at Izzac so this wouldn't have been the best time for hanging out anyway. I'm about 300 yards off the gulf. and 4-5' above Mean high tide. The RV park is ON the gulf. It may get interesting here in a few days. Lots of boat work in the next few months if it happens.

On topic... I did nothing to the bike today...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 24, 2012, 03:32:27 AM »
Noooo!!! Those are Zombie puppies eating a monkey... !!!   :o :o :o

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 24, 2012, 03:41:08 AM »
I love puppies!

Wish me and slinger could have come down there this weekend  :'(. Sounds like it's gonna be a blast. Ridin the scoots together would have been loads of fun. I hope we do all get together at some point. Since I stopped partying all the time and I'm on here so much, I feel like you guys are good friends. Me and slinger have been talkin about goin for a ride sometime. Whenever he's not working and I'm not in school or working myself... Whenever that happens  ???. We should plan a trip to Myrtle Beach sometime. Lots of good strip clubs down there  ;D.

P.S.

I've tried to keep track of your ZX build there. Looks awesome man  ;D
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 24, 2012, 03:42:26 AM »
I still don't have a monkey, unless the animals ate it before I got home... My God! Vivo's right. Those F'n animals ate my monkey. One looks like the Dingo that ate my baby too.

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 27, 2012, 05:02:47 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ghCTZF61ey0?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ghCTZF61ey0?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()