Author Topic: ZX 50 4th/or 7th/ or umpteenth build...  (Read 66635 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: ZX 50 4th/or 7th/ or umpteenth build...
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2012, 06:21:53 AM »
Forgot. On another thread someone linked an EGT set up. Now I'm gonna f' up a good pipe when I should have asked for it to be done when it was built. I have a business friend that welds so I'll ask his opinion on installing a bung. I would think blowing the hole out w/ a torch, and then brazing it would do fine.

Here's the ebay links
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250842647144?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250787715391?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Yep! The the head set is coming off.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2012, 06:28:25 AM »
Depends on the size of the probe. Will it not affect the exhaust flow? create turbulence inside maybe?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2012, 06:46:39 AM »
Man... Gotta burst my bubble... Not! I'm going to try a collar type bung to cut/tap till just enough of the tip is exposed to get a reading. If there are ill effects it's easy to change.
See the real point is tunning an MSD unit to run the Ign. The EGT is the only verification of changes in timing. I don't have access to a dyno so I ride it out. I want this one to last a few years.
I did try one of the gapless plugs on the other pipe, and begining jetting, and what I found was with optimal mix they delivered more power. Lean they felt better but rich... They misfired at least 1:7 strokes. But that is with a claimed 30k coil. I believe the reason they made power was because the flame starts exactly at the apex of the combustion chamber, and all of the energy is focused downward. Baring Pre Det. there are No opposing flame fronts as there are when you project into the chamber. So more Real power. +1cc. I'll take em where I can get em.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2012, 08:41:38 AM »
Lookin and soundin good.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2012, 09:05:55 AM »
I forgot to mention the front end. The forks are off an '09 Agility that I re-tuned using 1" tube shims, and drilling the relief valve to 3.5mm, I also cut off the cast in fender mounts from the legs. The brake caliper is the dual piston off the same Agility. The forks are Much stiffer, and much quicker than the wore out 05 ZX set up. The ZX OEM was a single piston caliper. Also Malossi ceramic pads. The whole deal is much better.

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2012, 03:54:15 PM »
The probe is small enough it will never create a disturbance coming out of your J pipe. The real tuning of your 2t exhaust is by sound and not flow at any rate. Sonic tuning. You want to place the probe 6 inches from the outlet, otherwise you will get a bad reading. Too close and you will burn it out. Ive run them as far as 3 feet from a rotary and still got perfect results, but rotaries can max out over 1700 F and anything closer than 1 1/2' will burn up in a few runs around the track. Same with A/F meters, those need to be pretty close as well. There has been several cheap Stoichmetric meters on ebay lately also. You can use any O2, 0-6v 6v-0v etc, that is the same voltage as them and it will work. Majority of 1 wire O2s are around 30$ A/F gauge cheap is 5-10$
Next time I go out to my friends Ill take a pic of his elite, its got a trailtech vapor, EGT, A/F, Voltage, Fuel level, and a huge 6 inch tach. Theres a way to install analog tachs on our scoots also if you didnt already know. Riding his scoot is like driving an Auto cross car I swear. So much to look at.
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2012, 03:56:03 PM »
Can you take a pic of the front end set up you have? Im interested in doing this as well. I was looking at the peoples front end, a guy I just met has one that was hit from behind so whole rear is done for, it actually split his case in between.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2012, 05:31:24 PM »
I always wanted an analoge tach, got 3 sitting in my garage, just never got round to looking at fitting it yet. I got a small digi tach on my A50 for now but it look too cheap for my liking. Got a nice vintage tach thats on my to do list tho for my Vespa. Also would like an oil temo gauge too, had one in my beetle that went in the sump plug, thought i could adapt one of those sensors maybe for my scoot. Again on my to do list.  :D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2012, 09:22:42 PM »
I really hate digital displays but for the egt I'll live with it. I found some anolog looking digital tach speedo set up that I may try. They imitate the gauges pretty well. I simply plan on a speedo w/ fuel gauge, a tach. and the egt. on naked bars.
Cynthia from Scooter Alley is leading the search for gauges. The more "old school" the better
These will replace the head light...http://www.ebay.com/itm/150822185055?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Here is the gauge except this one only hits 10k. http://www.ebay.com/itm/52mm-2-inch-white-red-Tach-digital-gauge-prosport-Glow-/280721136206?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415c489a4e&vxp=mtr

Iv'e learned to take my time with this build.

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2012, 09:30:42 PM »
How are you going to drive the tach? Im guessing with the MSD? Nice Lights too, I use some 9 LED fog lights that come on via a relay hooked up to the head light plug. Bright as hell and no battery drain really. But those look sweet!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2012, 09:45:25 PM »
The tach will be fired off the coils input, and the lights are the bomb. They normally use the H3 halogen bulbs but I will be using the H3 replacement LED's. I have the 4 led fog lights on the Vruk, and they work fine as driving lights. I just thought the projector lens's looked cooler. They can mount right on top of the front cowl, and another pair mounted inside the cowl at the sides of the wheel.
I'm running dual H7 batteries with an isolator so the leds will never be noticed. All the lights have been converted to led. I need my power for the coil/msd. 

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2012, 11:58:26 PM »
Yeah that gauge does look sweet. Modern but with old styling. Much nicer than digi displays. Lights look the business too.

I assumed i could prob run one of my tachs off the coil too, thats how i had my Monster Tach running on my beetle.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2012, 12:51:39 AM »
Yeah. They all wire up the same. I used one from a 4 cylinder Out Board for awhile. Just had to X's by 4. I really have no love for washed out digital displays. I'll be sure to post up what Cynthia finds.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2012, 08:01:54 AM »
Yeah. They all wire up the same. I used one from a 4 cylinder Out Board for awhile. Just had to X's by 4. I really have no love for washed out digital displays. I'll be sure to post up what Cynthia finds.

Cynthia?

Monkey who works your computer for you?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2012, 01:39:54 AM »
Not the monkey... She smoked all my   tobacco.
Cynthia from scooter alley cynyo21@yahoo.com   This is one smart tuner chick. She can answer any questions you may have. She also has inside routes to the Japanese parts market. I was told by WeBike that the Windjammer is no longer being made (no dies for the header). This is AFTER paying $827.00, and waiting almost a month.  I mentioned it to Cynthia, and I'll sit tight to see what she can find. There HAS to be ONE pipe somewhere.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()