Author Topic: ZX 50 4th/or 7th/ or umpteenth build...  (Read 66698 times)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: ZX 50 4th/or 7th/ or umpteenth build...
« Reply #255 on: July 28, 2012, 12:41:55 PM »
..what's next...retractable wings??
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 28, 2012, 12:43:56 PM »
don't give him any more ideas until this situation is solved (though being the fabrication master, you know it's formulating...)
sans scooter, rien

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 28, 2012, 12:44:56 PM »
...lmao...yeah, ur right there wassonii!!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 31, 2012, 01:19:31 AM »
Hmmmmmm Wings... I could mount all my head popin Gennie bottles under them.
Been busy making money the past two weeks anyway. The ZX is sitting. It breaks my heart seeing it all blown apart, and no work gettin done on it but Oh Well. I plan to get back on it this week. Maybe I can start re assembling it by Friday. My welder guy is available all week so I will have a buddy drop/pick up the frame for me, and I'll paint it before Fri.
The only part missing is my Tach. I forgot where I ordered it. I finally found where, and they said it shipped 4weeks ago... They are sending another.
If anyone wants a copy of this TuneBox software to play with let me know, and I will have to Email it to you. It's pretty cool for understanding how these cdi's work, and what they do. The program allows up to 20 point of timing on the curve. The Factory CDI's we all run have as few as 3 points on the same graph.
Example   OEM Kymco 2t      15*Before TCD @ 1000rpm/25* @ 3000rpm/straight line to 0* @ 10,000rpm
              My sutai              13 *BTDC @ 1k/28* @ 3000rpm/28* right thru to 15,000  (still just 3 points)
                                       The curve I have laid out for the HPI is about 12 points matching the timing to the exhzust temp at every rpm. The idea is to keep approx. 900* egt from 1krpm thru 15krpm where a rev limiter will be set. This will keep the pipe pulsing at a constant rate, and avoid jetting conflicts due to Temp. changes in the pipe. Hot pipes pulse faster, and if you are lean, and the pipe speeds up you just get leaner.
That is the idea behind programing the Ign timing. Matching all the components so they work together, instead of fighting each other.

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 01, 2012, 03:03:27 PM »
Hiya zombie, if you can send me the program it would rock. Im interested in no more melted pistons too lol. I just finished rebuilding a 86 suzuki lt80 for my nephews and Im thinking about using one of our cdis for it. Did you give up on the msd? I used nology racing wires for my 04 vette before I sold it, they had ground straps for each wire. Nice quality.
How much you want for another purdy cluster thing youre makin with that fiberglass?
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 02, 2012, 01:23:30 AM »
Hiya zombie, if you can send me the program it would rock. Im interested in no more melted pistons too lol. I just finished rebuilding a 86 suzuki lt80 for my nephews and Im thinking about using one of our cdis for it. Did you give up on the msd? I used nology racing wires for my 04 vette before I sold it, they had ground straps for each wire. Nice quality.
How much you want for another purdy cluster thing youre makin with that fiberglass?

I'll get your email from the forum info, and send it to you. I have to rename it to TuneBox v5.03.cxc so the email will not see it. When you get it simply right click, and go to "rename". You will rename it TuneBox v5.03.exe. It will change appearance, and is ready to run. The new driver is included. I'll send all the assorted info I have as well.
After looking at several different coils the Nology is by far the cleanest power available It is rated at 45k volts MIN. output. That should fire a piece of driftwood. The reason I gave up the MSD was for this coil. The MSD is a 12v fired cdi so a good battery is a MUST. I had planned to run dual batteries, and an isolator for the Ign. but then I would not be able to run such a hot coil. Id be stuck at 30k volts where I started. I believe I made a newly educated wise chioce... Well see!
As for the Dash pod... I can make any shape style you like. The one I made for the ZX is about 9-1" wide x 4" tall x 6" front to back. I have about 60-65 bucks in materials, and 7-8 hrs labor total. I guess 150.00 is a fair price for something similar.?.?. What I would need is some picts of the bar set as is, and stripped with dimensions. Then some sketches of the idea you like or Picts. of a similar pod. I think it is best if I build it, and leave the final cuts/fitting/mounting to you. My mounts cost all of 2.00 at Ace hardware. I greatly appreciate your interest cause making sh** is what I really prefer doing. Mechanic stuff just pays the bills.
Emailing the Program now Bro!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 02, 2012, 01:28:25 AM »
Yo Love My... Check your PM. I need the Email to send it..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 02, 2012, 02:28:31 AM »
Sorry no Picts. yet... I ordered a card reader for like 3 bucks on Ebay to get the Picts. out of the phone. I'll update the picts when I get it.

Anyway alot got done in the past two rainy days. Split the cases, and finished the porting inside them. There is enough room now for two cranks (almost). I do believe I hit close enough to the 40% volume increase mark. With the cases empty I filled them both (OEM case, and modified case (i have two sets)) with mineral oil. The OEM held .75 Qts., and the modified held just short of 1 1/4. I had to refill the area I milled out for the Ruima jug as the boost port was MASSIVE on that, and it left a 2mm gap behind the Polini boost. JB wled, and ALOT of tink 1/8" holes for it to bite into, some re milling of the boost, and done.
When I originally set up the Polini I used a 3mm spacer (to save time) for the base, and had a 1.75 squish (sucky). From http://www.onlinemetals.com/aluminumguide.cfm I bought an assortment pack of 4x4" sheet aluminum for spacers (jug base). So today I cut the spacer, and using a paper gasket between the spacer and the case, as well as an oem Polini aluminum gasket between the spacer and the jug I got a perfect .5mm squish. The paper gasket is bedded with OMC Perfect seal, and the aluminum gasket is bedded with Permatex Flange sealer. BULLET PROOF! I mover the exhaust port up 1.5mm, and 2mm wider on each side. The forward transfers I moved up 1mm, and left the rear transfers as is. This should raise the power band up in rpm, while still making power below the pipe. That was the time consuming part. It took all day to get the jug set, and mounted.
The fun stuff was in the cvt. I drilled 6 7/8" holes along the belts path (top, and bottom), and a series of 7-8 holes thru the bump out where the kickstart lever is mounted. Right over the Var. These along with the 6" hole over the clutch will let in enough air to keep it cool.
I installed a Stage 6 MKII instead of the Malossi Delta for various reasons... Mostly ease of tuning. Along with that I am using a Stage 6 race bell so again... Bullet proof. I am using the second strongest fly springs Stage 6 offers (orange), as well as a Malossi red Contra. w/ a Malossi torsion controller to shim the spring tighter. The reason for all the pressure on the TD is I have some NEW gears. I got my Polini instead of the Malossi primary gears, and Steve from Moped Hospital was generous enough to part w/ a set of custom cut secondary gears from back in his racing day. He tells me they never had a bike that could push these gears so they sat on the shelf for years. I promised I would not bitch... The OEM drive ratio is 10:1. I had a set of secondaries that gave me 8.3:1, and ran 3 kits that way. The Polini over reved at 12.5krpm. I ran out of gear... Installed the Malossi primary set 7.1:1, and ran off the speedo before again running out of gear. Now with the Moped Hosp. gears, and the Polini Primaries I have a final ratio of 5.75:1. I don't see running out of gear w/ that ratio. It will be NO wheelie popper but it MAY get the 90mph mark I want. The rest of the cvt is a Jasil var/7.5gr Jasil rollers (Damn best rollers I have used... NO wear visiable after almost 700 miles of breaking in the kit), and a Malossi Kevlar (of course) belt. The cvt is all an educated guess at this point because of the new gears so springs/rollers may be swapped out in testing.

Here's something just for Batts... In swapping the gears I found the main shaft on the secondary gear was TIGHT in the boss on the case. I actually had to tap it in. Then I couldn't turn the input shaft by hand. NO GOOD. Pulled it back out, and chocked it in a drill press. Using 2000 grit emory paper I hand lapped the boss, polished it out w/3000-5000-6000-#7 rubbing compound, and finally Dupont polishing compound. The gear dropped in. No play, and spins like a top. The thrust washers, and shims were replaced with new ones along with the seals, and bearings. I did have to use a point file on one of the secondaries as it was just a hair too tight. Now the whole deal spins like a new bike. Somewhere in all that is what I think Batts missed. Tight is great for lots of things but NEVER on a gear set.
Anyway I did have to shim my boss because the Malossi belt is .5mm wider. I also destroyed my cvt cover gasket so the kick start crown gear is hitting the drive face... Two-Three cover gaskets will fix that.And finally I am trying a new set of Boysen .035 reeds. I use .030 for most all reed engines but this one has a 15krpm red line so I believe the thicker reeds are needed. We'll see.
Thanks for the love guys!
 Ps... The engine held pressure for 1/2hr w/o the carb or pipe. Tomorrow I want to test it with the pipe installed to verify the integrity of all the 25 welds. Thanks to my handy dandy TSG Pressure tester I can now do this test like a gentleman. http://www.thescootergarage.com/

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 02, 2012, 02:42:22 AM »
Boy, you type fast...!  :o

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 02, 2012, 02:49:14 AM »
That took 1/2hr? You must have blinked really hard.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 02, 2012, 03:42:26 AM »
That took 1/2hr? You must have blinked really hard.

8 hours blink....

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 02, 2012, 03:50:34 AM »
180 proof? I need a stiff drink about now. I would actually quite enjoy one-three

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 02, 2012, 03:57:59 AM »
180 proof? I need a stiff drink about now. I would actually quite enjoy one-three

100 proof... ;D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 02, 2012, 04:07:37 AM »

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 02, 2012, 05:17:06 AM »
Just water....

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 05:20:40 AM by Vivo »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()