Author Topic: Greece has a run on the banking system  (Read 2730 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Greece has a run on the banking system
« on: May 16, 2012, 11:07:50 PM »
On Tuesday Greece had a run on the banks, some 800+ million in regular deposits were withdrawn.

The Euro is down to 1.27 to the Greenback, if this continues the EU could be in serious trouble, which means a huge part of the rest of the world will be in trouble as well.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: Greece has a run on the banking system
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 12:02:42 AM »
And yet it was only a few years ago that many Arab nations where seriously considering giving up trading in US $ and switching to the Euro because the $ had slipped so far against other currencies   :-\ How things change  ???

Latest talk is that greece is forced to leave the Euro, reports today here say the Bank Of England is putting plans in place to deal with this very scenario. The £ is at a high against the Euro and since the UK has massive exports to Europe there is even talk of de-valueing the £ to make it more competitive as today it is too expensive for other Euro nations to buy UK goods.  I doubt the Euro will fail, yet. At least i hope not.

Thanks US bankers, nice one  >:(
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 12:04:37 AM »
...god bless greece...and america, of course...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 12:38:04 AM »
Greece forced to leave the EU after all that bail out money? Now that's rich!
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 12:49:50 AM »
Greece forced to leave the EU after all that bail out money? Now that's rich!

Sometimes its better to cut your losses than keep pouring cash into a bucket with a hole in the bottom  :-\

I hope they can work something out, and soon, dont want to see anyone leave if it can be helped. The whole system we have in place is unsustainable anyway, it had to all come crashing down eventually, thats how its always been, ride up on the highs then crash down on the  lows. We need a new way, dont know what way, but a better way than what we got at present.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 01:18:09 AM »
Sometimes its better to cut your losses than keep pouring cash into a bucket with a hole in the bottom  :-\

I hope they can work something out, and soon, dont want to see anyone leave if it can be helped. The whole system we have in place is unsustainable anyway, it had to all come crashing down eventually, thats how its always been, ride up on the highs then crash down on the  lows. We need a new way, dont know what way, but a better way than what we got at present.

Ahhh but you miss the point, the banks and speculators can't get rich when things are steady. They need to roller coaster to drive things up, the avg Joe gets onboard and then they bail, leaving the avg Joe holding the bag.

Remember, by the time the Press satrts talking about the next big thing it's too late.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 04:19:25 PM »
On Tuesday Greece had a run on the banks, some 800+ million in regular deposits were withdrawn.

The Euro is down to 1.27 to the Greenback, if this continues the EU could be in serious trouble, which means a huge part of the rest of the world will be in trouble as well.

Just last summer when USA almost went bankrupt, US$ was falling to the EUR like there is no tomorrow... now nobody even mentioms this epizode... also, this story about 0.8 billion EUR withdrawn from Greece is just some news sent around the world... Greeks have sent out of the country at least 19 BILLION EUR in the past three years.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 10:53:41 PM »
... Greeks have sent out of the country at least 19 BILLION EUR in the past three years.

Good to know.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 11:41:01 PM »
Ahhh but you miss the point, the banks and speculators can't get rich when things are steady. They need to roller coaster to drive things up, the avg Joe gets onboard and then they bail, leaving the avg Joe holding the bag.

Remember, by the time the Press satrts talking about the next big thing it's too late.

Yup, us morons just get ripped off or make a little gain now and again, which is balanced out by a loss normally, while the sharks are always well fed. I dont own any shares or stocks anyway, my cash is tied up in my property but luckily i bought my home during our last downturn about 12-13yrs ago so i got it at a knockdown price really. Within a yr it had doubled in value from what i paid and since my mortgage is minimal i could pay it off in 5-6yrs if i really wanted to.

I think the other Euro nations may well be using scare tactics to try get Greece back on the track THEY want, regardleas of what the Greeks want. Things should sort themselves out one way or another in the next 2-3wks, then we just need to worry about Spain and Italy  :-\
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 03:53:17 AM »
08087 -- Just curious: Do you have a scooter?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 03:55:06 AM »
08087 -- Just curious: Do you have a scooter?

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 03:58:47 AM »
Simply put, I've only seen this user post on geopolitical topics, and never about a scooter.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 04:25:06 AM »
I could respond to this a couple of ways, I could get defensive or I could be calm cool and collected, or I can answer both ways.

Of course I have one, didn't you do a search for my posts? You can find my posts under the Peoples s200 section, check out topic "Top speed" as an example. Also try the thread in this section under buying a new helmet. I hope that helps you.

Now on the other hand I can't say that I remember reading anything that proves you have a scoot so why don't you go ahead and prove to all of us that you have one. Then I'll prove to you that I have one. It sounds as though your implying I'm a troll panning for something. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Who knows anyone here for certain, we could all be living a lie, I could easily tell you anything you wanted to hear, be smarter then this and do some research. I always found it smart to know the answer to the question before I asked. you should try it one day.

FYI, this question has been asked and answered in this forum before. Peoples s200 2009 model year, red purchased used a few months back with 700 miles on it. I'm going for a road test the 24th of this month for my lic.

I don't ppost much in the other sections cause my scoot doesn't have any problems other then me having an issue with the batt. not doing well in the colder months. Should I make something up? Should I give advice to others on somehting I know very little about?

I discuss things that I understand and like, things that I don't know about I ask about then I thank the person(s) for their taking the time to educate me.

I hope this helps you draw a conclusion, I hope I don't get any more questions about who I am and what I'm looking for. It's a freeking forum, if all we talked about was scoots it would move along slowly, that's one of the reasons the owners put in a gen discussion forum/ thread area. Politics, religion, economics, all relevant topics in todays world. Also I like to learn about other parts of the world, so I travel, should I list where I've been in the world, maybe my genetic background?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 04:42:24 AM »
BITCH SLAPPED! POW~
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 11:10:30 AM »
BITCH SLAPPED! POW~

Heh -- didn't feel a thang.  :)  That carefully-constructed strawman's probably gonne need re-stuffing, though.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 11:12:40 AM by jprestonian »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()