Author Topic: cut down customized seat  (Read 2512 times)

bongoman

• View Profile
cut down customized seat
« on: April 18, 2009, 02:55:33 AM »
"Happy Birthday!", says my darling wife with the cutest dimpled smile you've ever seen light up a morning. "Let's go get your new seat."

I want to tell you folks, it looks nice. And is very comfy. Here's a link to some pics. What do you think? http://picasaweb.google.com/bongo420/PuffSNewSeat#

It came from www.carservicesinc.com run by a craftsman named Tony. He had a lot of different colors and materials to choose from, with this foam from Germany that is good stuff. Not as hot as memory foam, does not compress as much, yet it does provide comfort. He can layer it so that there's density without thickness, that seems about the best way to describe it.

The new seat is about an inch lower, and narrower, which is good and bad. It's easier to control the scoot at flat footed stops, but the width of the OEM seat added a measure of comfort.

At first I was discomfited by the new position. When I voiced this to Tony, he offered to take the seat apart and rarrange the foam to my satisfaction. "You want to be comfortable, right?" is what he said.

Now the new seat has some fancy stitching details and for him to make this offer speaks to the quality of his work.

I've made a couple of short tripps, and one of a couple of hundred miles, and after getting adjusted to the new position, I like it.

This guy, Tony, also worked with me comming in from out of town by setting up an appointment. I deropped the seat off, and picked up later that afternoon.

So that was my birthday present. Nice hunh.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
Re: cut down customized seat
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 01:07:04 PM »
Nice...  Keep us updated on the comfort after some long rides.  I need to ether raise the handlebars a bit or lower the seat a bit so I am in a little better riding position.  Seat is comfy but I have to lean forward a bit too much and it bothers my back after riding awhile.  I am used to sitting more upright so I don't have to bend my back or neck to look forward. About an inch would do it.

I really like what he did with the different colors, too.
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 02:52:22 PM »
Hey Winginman,

There are handlebar risers available for the XC500 @ http://shop.dragoncustom.com/main.sc

At my Kymco shop I found some pullback bars for around $30 to $40. I did not compare specsw against those offered @ dragon customs.

The new position does address some of the problems you wrote about. When I tried the Jac Vinsen backrest with the new lower position, it was not as comfortable, and I prefer the way the scoot handles with the lower butt bumper. I do intend to take the Jac Vinsen to Tony and see what he comes up with.

As for the colors, those were my choices from the available ones he had. And he had quite a selection without ordering a custom color. Gotta go, wife is calling to cross the border to Mexico and shop for . . .?
2009 Xciting 500

hgw75

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 04:31:55 PM »
Looks GREAT!!!! :o

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 08:32:36 PM »
Here is the 600 mile report on the new seat. I've made several trips of 100 to 150 miles each and it's getting broken in, you know, that little impression for the butt cheeks has formed.

At rest, the narrower, lower seat gets my feet planted more firmly and it rides more like a cruiser. The butt bumper is more padded than the OEM, so I'm pushed a bit forward which makes holding the handlebars more comfortable, but crowds my legs somewhat. It seems like the lower posture bends my legs more. My sizer is 6'3" - 200#.

The covering material feels like it gets warmer than the OEM. That could be the smooth finish compared to the bumps on the OEM which might let some airflow. The foam is much softer, and denser.

So for tall guys here's something to consider, sitting lower puts more of a bend in the legs and ankles. The floor boards provide enough different foot positions to counter that. The narrower porfile is easier to straddle, but not as wide and forgiving. The new foam is softer and easier for long hours in the saddle. I did take off the Jac Vinsen backrest and go back to the butt bumper for most rides of less than 4 hours.  I like the control.
2009 Xciting 500

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 09:44:27 PM »
Thanks for the report.  I am still looking at the risers.  Anyone know if the dragon risers will work with the stock bars?  If you have enough brake line to move the bars back a bit?  I actually like the plastic cover on the stock bars and really do not want to change the whole mess to go with custom bars.  Especially when you start adding up the cost.  But then on those long rides my back tells me to fix something...
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 08:02:18 PM »
How's this for timing, I just spoke to the Motorcycle Shop - my dealer henh henh henh - about risers and the stock shroud and whether the cable and lines would have to be replaced. Jason's suggestion was to email dragoncustoms and ask since they have probably encountered that. He was not sure if they would have to be replaced, he would have to see exactly how high the risers were.

I also asked about adding some pullback bars and keeping mirrtors, shroud and some of that, again, he would not commit without actually getting into it.
2009 Xciting 500

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 09:40:10 PM »
Ha, I was afraid that may be the case.  My dealer had no clue and said so.  I will call dragon custom and see what they say.  And post their reply.  I have changed bars on motorcycles before and in most cases the cables were ok, if a bit stretched when turning lock to lock.  The don't use an inch more cable or hose than they have to. 
I did look at a repair manual and there are stock round bars under the plastic.  You are right that the dragon custom folks should know having done this thing before.
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 12:13:26 AM »
Since you're calling them, I will wait for you to post. I'm not adding bars or riser till next month or so. The seat took my spare change for this month. It sure is softer than the OEM though.

2009 Xciting 500

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()