Author Topic: Life @ 120kph  (Read 3094 times)

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
Life @ 120kph
« on: May 19, 2012, 03:27:07 AM »
With the 30-mile commute, I've become somewhat frustrated with the three school zones, multiple rolling stop signs (school buses), aggressive tailgaters in Antioch (Nashville airport area) and other annoyances, so!  I have started to break my rule about in-town interstate riding.

I'm going against the flow of heavy traffic, as most commuters are trying to enter Nashville in the early morning instead of vice-versa, so I'm somewhat enjoying the high-speed terrors of I-440 and I-24, now. That makes my commute about six miles of surface roads, and 24+ of interstate.

One thang: At 70MPH+, I find that my pant legs flap around enough to whack a nerve in the back of my calf, causing the sensation of repeated, low-voltage electric shocks. Anyone else familiar with that (and can a reflexologist explain or mitigate that)?

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Life @ 120kph
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 03:38:34 AM »
Wind + pants (especially polyester blend) = friction = static electricity

Static electricity in pants + skin = low voltage electric shock

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 11:42:55 AM »
How about putting a clip on your pant leg to stop the flapping? Worse case tuck ur pant leg into your sock. And don't go and get urself killed on the interstate, we'd miss you far too much here.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 11:51:46 AM »
biker boots and tuck in the pants.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 12:08:01 PM »
It may be your age, the older you get the more saggy you get. A young guy whos not overweight has no excess or loose skin to flap around like you or i may have? Im not fat or overweight at all but i am 40 so gravity does take its toll over the years. I remember going out in a mates speedboat a few summers ago, it was a lovely day and we all were shirtless, soon as he opened up the throttle and we started skipping thro the waves i felt a similair thing on the backs of my arms (tricep area)and at my sides of my back, cant remember that muscle name. My theory is your skin turns into a human Kazoo with the wind, kinda like blowing on the end of a sheet of paper so it all vibrates. The vibration feels like electric shocks to you.  :-\

Thats my theory anyway.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
How about putting a clip on your pant leg to stop the flapping? Worse case tuck ur pant leg into your sock. And don't go and get urself killed on the interstate, we'd miss you far too much here.

Thanks -- that was very nice of you to say!  I'll stop in my local bike shop and look into the pant clips... good idea!

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 06:27:46 PM »
Thanks -- that was very nice of you to say!  I'll stop in my local bike shop and look into the pant clips... good idea!

Or just wear shorts or tight jeans, the skinny look is in  :)

Chaos is my co-pilot.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 08:57:24 PM »

This is a new thread and a new day, the past is the past and tomorrow looks bright. Happy motoring!
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

S/W

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 10:21:18 PM »
Lots more starch, or epoxy if it's going to rain.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 01:12:41 AM »
or..... no more flappin' pants!!

« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 02:59:06 AM by Vivo »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 02:54:49 AM »
You guys are sooooo cute! I wish I could buy ice cream for you all.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 03:56:01 AM »
You can drop $3.00 in my pay pal account or forward me a cift cert. for some good stuff! Yummy! Hot fudge and all.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 04:01:46 AM »

ice cream, teddy bears, and lollipops.....

I'll have a Blue Stilton Cheese flavor ice cream..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 06:21:09 AM »
for you Zombie....

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()