Author Topic: Decision Help  (Read 2697 times)

yoster

• View Profile
Decision Help
« on: May 19, 2012, 10:39:51 PM »
Hello,

I'm 6'2" weigh 225 lbs.

Looking to get a new scooter - probably the People 150 or the Like 200i.  Neither are in stock around here.. so I'm waiting.

Here's the problem.. I LOVE the looks of the Like 200i LX, but everything I read says it's not suited ergonomically for someone of my height.  Are there any 'mods' you all have done to help with this? Anyone here my height that could weigh in with their opinion?

I also own a 250cc Chinese Scooter.. well not TOO Chinese  after everything I've done to it.. I'll be keeping it but I'm looking for a 2nd because it's not 'scooter' enough for me (LOL.)  It's the Honda Reflex Clone.. looks more like a sportbike than a cruiser.  That does NOT look like a scooter!

Anyway, I know this is a LONG shot, but does anyone here own both the Like AND a 250cc China scoot?  I'd like a comparison on the power difference.  My China scoot moves my 225lb butt through traffic pretty darn well - been commuting to work on it on nice days for the past 3 or so years now.  I want the 'fun factor' of a smaller scooter, but I don't want to get squashed like a bug either.  These California drivers are crazy!

Thanks!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Decision Help
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 10:48:09 PM »
..yelcome to the forum yoster!!

..i have had a couple of people 50cc scoots..

..i love riding the people, and i'm 6'1", 225....

..i ride with my feet on the flip-out pegs, and the balance is great!!

..those 16" wheels feel real good...

..the 50 and 150 have pretty much the same frame, with different tupperware..

..post some pics!!!!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

yoster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 10:53:39 PM »
Pics of what, my China scoot?  Are those even allowed on here? LOL

Like I said I'm trying to decide between the People and the Like (since my local dealership won't be getting any in for a few months... so I can't even test ride them yet!  They're purchased within a day of getting them in usually..)

Thanks for your feedback on the people.  Didn't know it had front pegs.  Does the Like have anything like that?

Wiz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 10:56:49 PM »
I tried sitting on the Like before I got my GT 300i. I am 6' and about 200 Lbs. With my feet on the floorboard my knees were hitting the handle bars. Because your taller it would probably be worse for you. I owned a People 150 and the only problem I had with its physical size was that my feet were a little too large for the floor boards. I had to ride with them hanging halfway off or point my toes inward to make them fit. The People would definitely be a better fit for you.
Current Rides: Can-Am Ryker Rally 900cc, Gold 2012 People GTI 300.

yoster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 11:00:31 PM »
Ugh, that's what I was afraid of.  I sat on a people 150 and wasn't crazy about it for the exact reason you described.. my feet.  Plus it isn't 'retro' enough for me (hence why I want the like).  But it is 'cute' (a guy saying cute.. hmm.. yes I am married so I can safely say that LOL.)  

What about just scooting back on the seat so your knees don't hit, is that not an option?  

I suppose my only other option is a Super 8 150?  But man.. no storage.. and not retro at all.  I don't really want to get into the $3k+ range because this is just my 'fun' scooter - I plan to use my 250cc scoot more for my "long" hauls.

[edit] - here's my China scooter when I first got it in 2008.  Looks the same now except one day I was revving it up (standing next to it.. not on it).. forgot it was on the kick-stand and not the center stand... ya... and off it went.  Scratched up the left side.  I'm going to be replacing those plastic parts though.  As far as mods, it has all replaced fuel and vacuum lines, lighter roller weights (getting dr pulley soon,) all lights replaced w/LED (HID's on their way as well,) upgraded the charging system from a shop that custom makes Regulator Rectifiers, e3 spark plug, and.... the BEST part.... wait for it..... a cup holder!! :D

« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 11:07:26 PM by yoster »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 11:03:58 PM »
I sat on a people 150 and wasn't crazy about it for the exact reason you described.. my feet.

..size 13 boots here...that's why i use the pegs...lol...

..maybe the 150 doesn't have them...imma google it...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 11:05:11 PM »
...yeah..it's got'm..

yoster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 11:06:44 PM »
Do you mean the rear passenger foot pegs?  Show me a pic of these front pegs if you can - very interested in checking those out.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 11:10:30 PM »
...this is a pic of a bud of mine on one of my people 50s..

..hes same size as me...

..click on pic for larger view...

yoster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 11:12:07 PM »
Ok so ya, those are the passenger footpegs he's using (I thought you meant front ones, like cruiser-style.)

That doesn't look too uncomfortable I guess.  Perhaps I'll consider that.  I wonder if that's a riding position option on the Like?! 

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 11:15:52 PM »
..i ride my super 9s and my a50 the same way...

..seems it creates a better center of gravity...

..scoots handle betteer...

..i dunno about the Like...

yoster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 11:18:41 PM »
Man sounds like you're the one to be talking to!  Quite a collection you have?

What's your opinion on the Super 8 150 vs People 150 then? (or in your case the 50cc equivalents)

Which is more 'fun' to ride (subjective, I know)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 11:26:43 PM »
sounds like you're the one to be talking to!  Quite a collection you have?

..i've had a few, but by no means have i ridden all...

...that super8 is one wicked scoot, from what i hear, here....

..have never ridden or owned one....        yet.....

..if you like the retro look, and want an awesome ride, then i can vouch for the peoples....

..my only beef with the 50 ppl, is the seat-lock recess, underneath the seat, can get annoying to your ass-cheek on a long ride...

..not sure if the 150 lock-set is in the seat, or the body...

..imma google it..

;D

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 11:30:54 PM »
..it's in the seat, but it's toward the rear....shouldnt be a prob for the primary rider..

..pillion might not care for it tho...

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 12:27:48 AM »
...this is a pic of a bud of mine on one of my people 50s..

..hes same size as me...

..click on pic for larger view...

Ya look a bit over sized for that bike of yours.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()