Author Topic: Any body had this problem?  (Read 2974 times)

sissy mary

• View Profile
Any body had this problem?
« on: May 20, 2012, 10:29:13 PM »
I may have gotten some bad gas as this just happened after the last fill up? I just filled up and put in sea foam, and I will see what happens? The bike takes off slower than usual. It seems to want to run at 50, but it will do 55 ok, but it seems like it is pushing a huge head wind or something? Try to do 65, it just bogges down as I open the throttle. More throttle, the more it boggs as if I am letting in to much air and not getting enough gas? If not bad gas, I am thinking fuel filter, it has never been changed, (30,000 miles). Clogged main jet, carb diaphram tear/hole or fuel pump is going bad? Anybody else run into this situation? It run's fine, idles fine, run's smooth, does not over heat, (to me this may rule out carb)? Just a general lack of power as if not getting enough gas. :'(

ce

• View Profile
Re: Any body had this problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 04:10:50 AM »
The diaphragm is pretty easy to check, open up the top of the carb and slide it out.

My 250 did the same thing, and it was cracked in a couple places. I repaired it with some red gasket goop, and it worked until the new one arrived. They cost $47 at Stadium, but I figured it would need replacing anyway.

I found a lot of crystalline stuff in a fuel filter after only 5,000 miles, so swap that out for sure.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 05:24:27 AM »
You did nail all the poss. issues Sis... Just have to narrow them down. New filter is a must have.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 12:13:08 PM »
Will the carb diaphram come out when I take the lid/cap off, or will it stay in place so I can inspect it first before removing it? Looked at service manual, looks like you need to take the whole bike apart to get to the fuel filter? That's not cool. :(

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 01:43:09 PM »
Incase I need it? What is this red goop called? Is it red gasket cement? :-*

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 09:35:10 PM »
Just watch out for the spring, it's like 4 inches long and a half inch across, it sits in the piston so it shouldn't come sproinging out, you'll feel the tension as you loosen the screws. I use a magnetic screw driver so I don't lose the screws, and then a bigger magnet to retrieve the screws I lose.

Ya done good lookin' at the diagram of the diaphragm, it's easy, don't be skeered. Slide the piston up, examine and replace it with the needle back down in the main jet.

The red goop is indeed gasket maker, the rubbery kind, called RTV, or BVD, or LSD, sumpin' like that, it says not for fuel use, but it held up pretty well for a while.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 11:20:54 PM »
The slide does pull right out. NEVER use the red crap or blue crap or any color RTV EVER. It will soften, and get into your engine/carb. For every sealing job use http://www.go2marine.com/product/78394F/omc-gasket-sealing-compound.html This stuff works.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 08:08:34 PM »
I put in a new fuel filter. You do have to take the seat and storage box off, disconnect socket and light, but no big deal there. I then took off the left side plastic and the floor board plastic, rubber and such. I did not need to take the right side stuff off as I used a long screw driver to hold that side up in the air so I could get to the filter. (lift or pry up the left side plastic, like you are lifting a hood on a car, put s-driver or wrench between plastic and frame to hold it up so you can work on getting filter out). I can now see that doing this once will make the next time much faster. Not hard to do, but time consuming. Put it back together, took for a ride, gave it some gas, and still little power. Run's fine, but no power. Has to be carb or pump? Took lid off carb, and there it is, a small crack in the diaphram! I should have looked at it first, but I did not want to mess with the carb and screw something up. At first it looked good, but it did have a slight rise on one side, not  flat or even with the rest of the rubber. Could not see a tear? Took a small screw driver and pushed very lightly on that area, and the crack opened. I could not see it untill I pressed on it. I almost put it back together to go on and take out the pump so the dealer could test it. Glad I took the extra time. I called the dealer to over night it as I am trying to get it up and running for the 3 day weekend. Man the last few weeks have been he-ll. :'(

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 11:26:51 PM »
We ALL have those cascading failures. Blue went thru hell for a month or more... Every part on his scoot was breaking as he fixed the ones before it. I play catch up every day fixing something on each scoot.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 01:07:08 AM »
Put the new slide/diaphram in today, had it over nighted to the dealer 75 miles away. Had to put a tiny amount of grease in the carb body recess as the new diaphram would not stay in slot. Tear was about 1/2 inch in old one. Run's like a raped ape. Must have had a or some pin holes leaks for some time as I can not remember it ever running this strong. ;D :-*

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 01:49:20 AM »
The diaphragms get swollen from Eth in the fuel. They all lose responsiveness over time. I replace mine twice-three times a year. I think the best fix is to convert to a slide carb. They don't have the accel. pump but that only works when you Nail the gas anyway. I only have one appropiate slide carb now so I switch it between engines as needed. The GY6 runs best with it.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 02:23:36 AM »
Great, Sissy!  I'll look at mine one of these days even though no problems of that nature.  I'm hoping my constant use of Startron is keeping mine in shape.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 04:25:07 AM »
That's what Startron does. Same with Sea foam, ans the new Stabil formula. They all neutralize the effects of Eth, and clean out most soft deposits in the fuel system. I run 1 oz. thru every third tank. And I try to make that tank last as long as possible.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 02:05:56 PM »
Replace 2 or 3 times a year! What kind of gas do they use over there, or what do they put in it? Somethings up? Are you using chinese parts? ???

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
Road between 150-200 miles yesterday. The bike has never ran this strong from what I can remember? Just fly's up hills, passing power is very good. I was on a freeway for about 250 miles or so. The throttle is just cracked open a tiny bit to maintain 70MPH. If I had the $, I would be feeling a cross country trip comming on. ;D :-*

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()