Author Topic: Why buy 50cc?..  (Read 7403 times)

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Why buy 50cc?..
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 02:08:02 AM »
But on the subject of Kymco, I like you am unyielding.  A comparable deal (used, generally, but reasons to buy new abound...) on another brand/model may occasionally arise, especially if you have a lot of tools and a lot of time, but no one makes machines this nice for these prices.

Very..well said.... ;)

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 05:35:54 PM »
I am considering stepping up to the 125, or 150 class, getting my motorcycle license,and registering and insuring it.
Include the Genuine Buddy 125 in your research.  These engines have an oil filter element (vimeo.com/5377019), in addition to the typical strainer screen.  Two completed the 2012 Scooter Cannonball Run.

North Carolina legislators are well aware of how the 50cc riders are "gaming the system".  Future moped statute amendments are always a possibility . . example.

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 06:28:13 PM »
This subject has produced the most response in some time.
In Indiana a 50cc does not require an endorsement or plates.  However some counties are incorporating a local permit like $25 or $50.00.  A few years back an uninsured scooter caused a Dump Truck to veer off into a school bus.   There was then an effort to  require some type of
registration and insurance.  I had a 50cc Agility and had it insured.   It had it's place.  I clipped the
CDI wire and it too would go 45 with a good tailwind.  Primarily in Indiana,  this presents the ideal
solution for DUI's that have lost their license and you can find neighborhoods of them. 

Now...If insurance is the same for a 50 - 250cc and a local permit is $50.00.  Don't waste it
on a 50cc  (If you have a drivers license).  However,  I periodically see above 50's running without
plates.  I even took a picture of a suspect 250 Honda Reflex I've seen several times to my local police.
You see..If I have to pay good money to be legal,  then everyone should.

baddi

• Top speed: 38 km/h and fuel economy: 50 km/l
    • View Profile
    • My project fuel injection gallery
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 10:58:20 PM »
In Denmark, 50cc scooters can be driven by an adult without a licence or by anyone over 16 years old, who has taken a 24 hour course and have gotten a "Licence" from that course. :)
50cc's will also have to be registered (if sold for the first time after 2006) and insured, but weather the insurance covers anything when its derestricted, i dont know. :D
First Kymco agility 50 (2008) 11.000+ km (dead)
Second kymco agility 50 (2010) 20.000+ km. Project Fuel Injection. Stolen.
Kymco K-pipe 125 (2014) 7400 km.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 03:03:17 AM »
Here, every scooter has to be registered, insured, and driven with a driver's license regardless if it's a 50cc or 1000cc, stock, modified, race tuned, etc.  There are no categories here when it comes to two or three wheeled vehicles. All are considered motorcycles. Cars have categories depending on engine size.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 08:29:10 AM »
I cant believe that in the states you can ride without insurance or registering it, that seems a crazy idea to me  ???

We are similair to Vivo, we MUST have our vehicle registered, MUST insure it, MUST tax it, and we MUST have the appropriate license to drive it. To allow a vehicle on the road with no insurance, especially when riden by a novice or young rider, is a recipe for disaster. What happens if he runs into the side of my parked car? He has no insurance so now i have to wait for him to pay me himself for the damage? What if they refuse to pay, do i need to take him to court? What if he gives a false name and address, the scoots not registered to anyone so how would i trace him? IMO all powered vehicles on the road should be made to have insurance and be registered.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 08:37:57 AM »
I cant believe that in the states you can ride without insurance or registering it, that seems a crazy idea to me  ???
There was a time when it was allowed in France too. A big contrast to Switzerland, where even bicycles must be registered and insured.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:13:00 AM by ts1 »

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 08:41:03 AM »
And novice riders must pay higher insurance premiums because the chances of them to hit someone or something is greater than experienced riders.

hippiebrian

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2012, 01:35:23 PM »
One thing glared at me on the original post.  A dealer is telling you to be dishonest.  This dealer thinks it is okay to be dishonest.  Why would you ever trust him?  Run away, quickly.

That being said, here in Cal. 50cc scooters and mopeds do need to be insured and registered, but somehow those morotized bicycles get away without needing either.  I'm sure that won't last long, though.

Also, here in Cal., a driver's liscense is required for any motorcycle up to 49cc (most advertised 50cc scooters are actually 49 cc) and a motorcycle liscense is required for anything 50cc or above.

Do yourself (and the public) a favor.  Take a motorcycle safety course and get the bigger scooter.  You'll be happier and you'll get a faster scooter that is actually reliable!

MikeKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2012, 04:54:31 PM »
Very..well said.... ;)

Thanks, man.

Yeah, Kymco is the way to go.  Usually in a market like that for these machines, if you deviate from the biggest brands, you run into parts availability problems.  But not so with the Kymco brand.  Three shops that sell scooters near me, two of which don't even sell Kymco, say that Kymco is the biggest selling brand worldwide.  I'm not sure if that's true, though.  And since I learned of them, I see that they're really popular in my area.

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2012, 06:29:05 PM »
I cant believe that in the states you can ride without insurance or registering it, that seems a crazy idea to me  ???

We are similair to Vivo, we MUST have our vehicle registered, MUST insure it, MUST tax it, and we MUST have the appropriate license to drive it. To allow a vehicle on the road with no insurance, especially when riden by a novice or young rider, is a recipe for disaster. What happens if he runs into the side of my parked car? He has no insurance so now i have to wait for him to pay me himself for the damage? What if they refuse to pay, do i need to take him to court? What if he gives a false name and address, the scoots not registered to anyone so how would i trace him? IMO all powered vehicles on the road should be made to have insurance and be registered.
What would you do if a bicyclist damaged your car ?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2012, 07:31:31 PM »
We have similar laws in Fl. as Calli. You can own a motorized bicycle, but you can not drive/ride it on sidewalks because it is motorized, and you can not ride it on the street because it is not registrable. (DOT lights/blinkers/horn/EPA emissions laws, ect). So you can ride them on your own property, or where ever you have permission to ride.
Basically they are everywhere in Florida. In an accident they are impounded, and the Victim of the accident has to sue in court to get paid for damages. 49cc's need a valid drivers lisc. over 50cc's requires a Motorcycle endorsement. If you have a Motorcycle Only lisc. you can ride a Harley but not a 49cc scoot.
Funny how laws don't work out most of the time.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

kerllycrueaz

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 05:46:06 PM »
There are most two reason for buying 50cc scooter or moped. First is the power which is important for all the people. Performance is also good of 50cc scooters or moped.

bilyum

• Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 06:23:52 PM »
The best small size would be the 125. It is a little better on gas ,msrp is lower and cc's allow a very small hp difference.
Now, your best bet would be a used Honda, then maybe an Aprillo,,, and then a kymco much better resale value and easier to sell used. Honda is the bullet proof scooter. I see elite 125's often . Never buy new! I shouldn't have to tell you why. All this is probably everything you did not want to hear. Sorry!
Later
bilyum

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 11:34:52 PM »
Regarding laws and engine size, a lot of 49cc riders are in a bind in neighboring Massachusetts.  The dealers there read the law to their advantage and sold people 49cc scoots that went faster than 25mph, unrestricted speed.  So Mass got smart and started going by advertised specs of the scooters.  If it advertises going over 25mph, then it is a limited use vehicle and you need a motorcycle license, registration (and I believe insurance, but am not positive).  25mph or under is a moped and does not need a motorcycle license, registration, or insurance.  Of course anything 50cc or larger is a motorcycle.  The upshot is a lot of used 49cc scoots are now for sale in Mass, since they almost all advertise as going over 25mph.  People in Mass are royally pissed!
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()