Author Topic: Need Help with CVT Issue...  (Read 12597 times)

obz

• View Profile
Re: Need Help with CVT Issue...
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 03:56:35 AM »
Well I ended up buying a new carb instead.  With the restricted boss and CDI still restricted I can get up to 50 MPH.  I'm waiting for the new BBK to break in before I take off the restriction on the CDI.  The smooth boss should be here in a couple of days.  We'll see what I get out of it with the new boss.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 04:06:10 AM »
Nice.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

obz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 02:53:15 PM »
Okay, rather than start another thread I thought I'd ask it in here.  So everything is running good.  No issues after installing the kit/carb/exhaust/intake.  Now, I have to get it passed for inspection and for some reason the rear tail light stays on.  It doesn't matter if I grab the brake or not, it stays on.  I'm guessing something's wrong with the switch?  It's not just the tail light either, I don't have to pull the brake to start the scooter (which is a nice feature actually).  I've done some searching and I found only 1 thread that had a similar issue though there never seemed to be an answer.  Ideas?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 10:02:52 PM »
I forget how the goofy wiring works there. It is a three wire set up on the right brake, and two on the left.
The left/right switch can be bought for 5 bucks on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=gy6+brake+switch&_sacat=0
There are two types for the right side. One is a tube type, and the other is a roughly square shape box.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

obz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 02:34:07 AM »
I forget how the goofy wiring works there. It is a three wire set up on the right brake, and two on the left.
The left/right switch can be bought for 5 bucks on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=gy6+brake+switch&_sacat=0
There are two types for the right side. One is a tube type, and the other is a roughly square shape box.

Rockin!  Thanks for the help.  I traced it down to a faulty brake switch on the right side (master cylinder side).  The little tip that pushes it in is broken off (making it act like it's always all the way out).  Ordered the part off of e-bay and should have it in a few days!

obz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 10:16:49 PM »
Okay, so I've run into another problem. When I get to WOT (keep in mind this is still regulated by the CDI) it runs fine but kind of "barbles."  My buddy thinks it's because it's running up against the rev-limiter which is causing the problem.  This could very well be, but I'm not 100% sure.  When I'm slowing down and I try to give the scooter gas I get nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing.  It won't pick back up until the RPMS drop down to probably around 3000 or so, then all the sudden I get my power back.  Thoughts?  Is it my main jet?  I pulled my plug and it's nice and brown (slightly dark perhaps) so I don't think I'm running lean, but perhaps I am.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 10:44:24 PM »
What size is your main jet now?
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

obz

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 01:09:26 AM »
It's a 105.  I'm in Utah and above 4500 feet.  I can definately get a bigger jet.  I've got a 19mm carb so I thought I would be safe with a 105.  On the way home I noticed that when the wind was blowing on the scooter it bogged horribly, even up and speed it would just lose power.  The intake on it is just a wide open sponge.  You think I should up my jet size?

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 01:20:35 AM »
Higher Altitude = Less Air...Less Air = Less Fuel

I'm around 1000 ft above sea level and I'm running jets between 95 and 100 with similar mods.

It won't hurt to try a larger jet but I think you're too rich right now.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

obz

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 01:46:23 AM »
I've got a 95 that I can through in.  Let me try that.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2012, 01:50:54 AM »
Okay, so I've run into another problem. When I get to WOT (keep in mind this is still regulated by the CDI) it runs fine but kind of "barbles."  My buddy thinks it's because it's running up against the rev-limiter which is causing the problem.  This could very well be, but I'm not 100% sure.  When I'm slowing down and I try to give the scooter gas I get nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing.  It won't pick back up until the RPMS drop down to probably around 3000 or so, then all the sudden I get my power back.  Thoughts?  Is it my main jet?  I pulled my plug and it's nice and brown (slightly dark perhaps) so I don't think I'm running lean, but perhaps I am.

There are a few things in here. First the barble MAY be the rev limiter. Try going down hill so there is no load on the engine. At 9,000 rpm the engine should cut in/out skipping every other beat. Once you fall below 9k it should return to normal.
How many turns out is your idle mix screw? And which side of the carb is it on. The air box side or the engine side.I am thinking your no power on take off may be due to flooding at low throttle/slide positions.

obz

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2012, 02:42:38 AM »
Both the Air Mix screw and idle screw are on the airbox side.  I'm not sure how many turns the idle screw is out, though I can check.  What you describe on the barble is exactly what I hear.  Going down hill it does the exact same thing and I swear refuses to go faster.  Because I'm in the mountains I drove it down a pretty decent grade and it just wasn't having it.  Going up the hill it ran awesome with no barble at 45.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2012, 02:47:53 AM »
That is your rev limiter/re stricter. It is important to know how your mix screw is set to determine the jet needed

obz

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 02:53:33 AM »
My mix screw was way out.  I read it's supposed to be out about 1 1/2 turns.  It was probably out 4 or 5.

obz

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 03:15:57 AM »
Okay, screwed it all the way back in and then unscrewed it a turn and a half.  No more stutter... at least for now...  I'm going to ride it some more and I'll keep everyone posted.  Oh the joys of tuning.   :-\

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()