Author Topic: Need Help with CVT Issue...  (Read 12596 times)

obz

• View Profile
Need Help with CVT Issue...
« on: May 23, 2012, 03:04:02 AM »
Hey Guys,

So I just purchased a 2005 People 50 2t.  It's a great little scooter but I bought it knowing it has an issue.  The scooter tops out at about 20 MPH.  The engine runs strong and it sounds maxed out when it's doing the 20 but it won't get faster than that.  Now I know they're not made to go 500 MPH, but it should be going around 35-40, right?  Well tonight I pulled appart the CVT and put in new rollers and a new belt.  Absolutely nothing.  Same top speed (if not slightly slower since I put in slightly lighter rollers) and I got nothin'.  The clutch looked good.  The pads looked good.  No significant wear anywhere that I could see.  I have no idea where to go from here.  I don't know if it's the clutch or the variator.  It would seem to me that it's not getting up into the higher "gear" range which is why it's maxing out at 20.  So I put my problem to the Kymco Gods and ask what I should do??

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help with CVT Issue...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 04:46:21 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

Check the width of the drive belt first. Factory width is 18mm. Should be at least 17mm wide. New belts, depending on brand, are known to measure differently from their indicated size. Could be the belt is too short also.

What's the(indicated) size of the belt you bought? What is the weight of the new rollers?

Is the variator boss(bushing the variator rides on) completely smooth or does it have a shoulder on it? Even with the restricted boss it should do more than 20. Look for any reason the variator can't move in and out freely

You've got an awesome scooter. Let us know what you find.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

obz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 02:05:51 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I checked the drive belt size and compared it to the stock belt that I pulled off and they're identical in size and width.  Makes me think I didn't need to swap it.  I put in 7.5 gram rollers with the hope that I'd get a better acceleration, but I got nothin'.  I don't think there was a shoulder on the variator boss, but I could be wrong.  I'll have to take a look.  I read about a couple of other people having a similar problem and they tracked it down to their brakes.  I pulled my front caliper off this morning and drove it around but I didn't change a thing.  I'm also noticing that after swapping out the belt and rollers, the scooter almost "coughs" at high RPMs.  It doesn't happen every time, but it does happen none-the-less.  Another guy I read about found that he had a problem with the auto-choke on his carb and replaced it, then everything was good.  I know a lot about motorcycles (I've built them) but this scooter has me completely puzzled.  I don't want to just start replacing parts only to find out it has nothing do with the issue.   ???

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 05:35:12 PM »
If you don't already have the manual here it is. Go ahead and download it to your computer.

Kymco People 50 EN

Directions for testing the auto-bystarter(auto choke) are in the manual.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

obz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 07:20:25 PM »
Thanks man!  I just rode my buddies Hyosung 50cc and that thing pulls WAY harder than mine does.  I'm wondering if I've got a combination of problems.  Luckily the owner of provoscooter.com is one of my buddies just up the road so if I need parts I know where to find them.  :)  I'm going to take it apart again tonight and see what else I can find.  I'm going to try cleaning the carb and check the compression just to be sure its running like it should.

obz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 02:58:17 PM »
So last night I pulled apart everything.  After doing some additional reading I thought it might be worth checking the compression.  I pulled the spark plug and it was completely gunked up with stuff (never a good sign).  I threw in the compression gauge and I'm getting just below 90 PSI.   :o  So looks like a rebuild is in order.  I'm going to order a BBK and throw it on there.  If I'm rebuilding it, I might as well go the distance, right?

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
Absolutely!

You may want to go ahead and invest in a new carburetor and exhaust to go along with it. Send Zombie a PM. He might be able to find your parts at a discount. If not, he'll know the best place to order from.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 04:23:07 AM »
Pssssst. Buddy! Wanna try some good stuff? Stick with the good stuff for sure.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

obz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 02:58:58 PM »
I got the exhaust (Tecnigas RS II) but not a carb.  Is the carb not a 16mm?  Shouldn't that be plenty with the correct jet?

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 06:45:54 PM »
I think stock is 17.5mm

You might drive yourself nuts trying to find jets for it

You can run with it but it's better to move up to a 19mm. Malossi(Del orto) and Arreche make nice carb kits.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:04:05 PM by Peters »
*2001 ZX-50 beater

obz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 04:20:45 AM »
Well I got everything on including the exhaust.  I've got to find jets now.  We'll see how that goes...

kanbisk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 07:19:37 AM »
Hey Guys,

So I just purchased a 2005 People 50 2t.  It's a great little scooter but I bought it knowing it has an issue.  The scooter tops out at about 20 MPH.  The engine runs strong and it sounds maxed out when it's doing the 20 but it won't get faster than that.  Now I know they're not made to go 500 MPH, but it should be going around 35-40, right?  Well tonight I pulled appart the CVT and put in new rollers and a new belt.  Absolutely nothing.  Same top speed (if not slightly slower since I put in slightly lighter rollers) and I got nothin'.  The clutch looked good.  The pads looked good.  No significant wear anywhere that I could see.  I have no idea where to go from here.  I don't know if it's the clutch or the variator.  It would seem to me that it's not getting up into the higher "gear" range which is why it's maxing out at 20.  So I put my problem to the Kymco Gods and ask what I should do??
  you said, you put in lighter weights? no man put in couple of grams heavier weights, that will give you bit more speed.
Agility 50 4 stroke 2008

obz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 02:56:37 PM »
I think stock is 17.5mm

You might drive yourself nuts trying to find jets for it

You can run with it but it's better to move up to a 19mm. Malossi(Del orto) and Arreche make nice carb kits.

Can I use a tap and die kit to open the hole a little?

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 06:51:09 PM »
No

You can open the stock jet up with a combination very small drill bits and torch tip cleaners. Solder will fill the hole again if you go to far. You'd be surprised how many people use this method. It does work.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 04:09:18 AM »
There is not enough meat left to re tap the threads. Torch tip cleaners are great. 4-7bucks at hardware/home centers. Solder/flux is almost free.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()