Author Topic: downtown seat latch  (Read 11963 times)

espresso

• View Profile
downtown seat latch
« on: May 23, 2012, 03:15:41 PM »
i just purchased the 300 and im loving it!!! i seem to be having a little bit of trouble gettin the seat to open? I have to always play with the key and is it normal to have to force it back down on the latch to close?
thanks

jwalz1

• View Profile
Re: downtown seat latch
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 06:29:15 PM »
The key turns clockwise to start the scooter.  From that position, turn it counterclockwise until it stops normally.  From this point, you can either push the key in and turn further counterclockwise to lock the steering OR without pushing it in give it a firm twist counterclockwise to get a little "click"  which is popping the seat latch.    

Or basically, from the position you insert the key, the firm counterclockwise twist (without pushing in) will pop the seat.

And I have to either kind of slam the seat, or close it and give it a good thump to get the latch fully closed so I think what you are experiencing is normal.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:26:39 PM by jwalz1 »

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 07:30:11 PM »
I thought I would add this here instead of starting anew.

Since brand new the seat latches have been a problem.

The muffler side latch is hard to lock.  I determined that the plastic seat pan must be warped a little bit and one side of the seat is higher that the other.  Note: there are no adjustments to the seat lock/latch mechanism.

My fix was to shim ( about 1/8" inch) under the metal loop on the muffler side.  Now it is easy to close/lock both seat locks. 

Another note, on a previous scooter the seat lock cable 'froze' and I could not open the seat.  Normally you should know which panels can be removed so you can get to the lock and manually release them.  It looks very difficult to do on the Downtown.  Remote possibility is to use a 'coat hanger" and trip the locks, but you would have to make a couple of 'bends' to the coat hanger.

There is another fallback method   ..... involving wires attached to the release latches  .... think about it.
2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

bdrannik

• Southwest Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 11:45:40 AM »
Try loosening the nuts that hold the "hinge" at the front end of the seat.  Keep them still firm but not tight (you want to be able to move the seat by hand but not on it's own) - then try moving the rear of the seat side-to-side in very small increments and attempt to close/latch the seat.  After a few wiggles back and forth I found a spot where mine closed easily.  I then re-tightened the nuts at the hinge and all is well since..

"wheels" mentioned the seat base might be warped but I think another possibility is the strut that holds the seat up is on the right side and may be putting pressure on the seat distorting it or pushing the rear of the seat over to the left.

I think the scooters are shipped to the dealers with the batteries either disconnected or not installed and maybe the mechanics are in a hurry to get the seat back on and do not take the time to adjust it correctly for easy latching.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:55:24 AM by bdrannik »
2011 DT300i - Givi Windshield - HID 5K Low/High Beams - LED Tail/Turn/License Bulbs - Front signal mirrors converted to running lights/signal - Dummy bulbs to LED 5K white running light/amber signals -  Givi E55 w/Admore LED Kit & custom paint - Scorpio SR-i900 Alarm - NGK CR7EIX - Amsoil Synthetics

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 06:32:30 PM »
I tried the search, but surprisingly few people have had documented latch issues. This thread and feebleknievel's thread helped me get started as well.

I had to open up the Downtown 300i yesterday because the seat latches would not release when the key is turned at the ignition switch.

edit- it may be possible to open the front of the bike first and play with the cable adjuster at the ignition. Turn the adjuster so the key becomes rather difficult to turn, and then give the key a solid turn. With some luck, there will be the rear seat will pop open. This will avoid prying.

At the rear of the bike, the big grab rail/luggage support comes out, but it can be difficult to get an Allen key into the bolts on the sides of the bike. A pair of pliers helped grab the Allen key and give me leverage. Next, the plastic middle panel above the taillights comes out. There are two Philips screws, but also two plastic tabs that securely lock the middle panel to the side panels. Use some tape on a screwdriver and be very careful to reduce scratching or chipping of the paint. If in doubt, use a flashlight to examine where everything is and take your time. The panel may come out with some force as it's under quite a bit of tension while prying.

The latches should then be in sight. Use a flat blade screwdriver to push the latch mechanism on the left side, and use your fingers to pull the latch on the right side. The seat should audibly pop loose.

For me, the right side cable had a little tension when I turn the key, but not enough to unlatch. The left side cable had absolutely no tension. I could adjust the right side cable to a usable range with the adjusters under the seat, but the left side cable adjuster I could max tighten but feel no tug from the key side.

If the adjusters under the seat work fine, then you can stop here. Be sure to manually test the latch mechanisms and key release a dozen times to make sure they latch and unlatch properly before putting the seat back on! Sometimes the latches will unlatch themselves if you have the cable too tight. Too loose and the latch feels sloppy. If you run out of adjustment, then keep reading.

I then removed the front of the bike to access the ignition switch. You can then see the cable assembly as it runs through the bike. In the Downtown, the ignition pulls on an upper cable that runs down by the coolant reserve bottle where it splits into the two cables that run to the seat latches at the rear. It is all one piece, as the splitter is fully enclosed and doesn't look serviceable.

The barrel adjuster at the upper cable controls how far the upper cable and thus seat cables are pulled when you turn the key. I had to loosen the adjuster to increase the slack on the cable, allowing the cable to be pulled a longer distance. You know when it's too tight when you cannot turn the key very much or at all. Increasing the slack gave my left seat cable a noticeable pull again. Test everything and remember to secure the locknut on the upper cable adjuster before you put the front plastics back on the Downtown.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 03:32:32 PM by thesurgeonistherobot »
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

sklnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 05:33:18 PM »
Thanks dear , this is a well explained tutorial ,if anyone encounters a similar problem ,this would be of great help . ;D

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 03:52:17 AM »
You are very welcome. The service manual surprisingly doesn't cover the procedure, so I figure someone else would have loved to have directions if their big useful spacious cubby gets locked away or if only to improve the latch effort. :-)
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

8eeman77

• Work hard, ride safe
  • I'm a scooter loving Apiarist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 02:17:19 PM »
It's easy to unlock the seat, just turn the key to the left while lifting the seat at the same time. Sometimes you may have to turn the key twice, but my seat has always opened without much trouble for me.
More importantly, to close the seat, softly is best. Let the seat fall back down onto the latches, then press gently but firmly to lock into position. This will always work, many people make the mistake of slamming the seat to close (including the salesman who sold me the bike!), but your more likely to damage the seat this way.  ;D
The Kymco DT 300i ABS is the best scooter you can get. I love it's carefree automatic ride. I would like to see kymco make a 600cc version but no heavier then the 300. I would buy it for sure

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 01:20:43 AM »
8eeman77, those are good tips. I hope your seat continues to be easy to open and close.

In my case though, turning the key did not pull on the latches at all and no amount of pushing or lifting on the seat would allow it to unlatch. The first time it happened, I thought it was a result of cables freezing in cold weather, and lubrication got the latches and cables working again. The second time, the cables likely stretched enough to be out of adjustment.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 01:23:24 AM by thesurgeonistherobot »
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 11:01:57 PM »
Just in case a scooter engineer ever reads a scooter forum:
The fancy ignition-key-flipping-seat-latch-gizmo is very impressive on the show room floor.
But think about it.....that has too many moving parts & is too fancy for its own good.
Down the road, in time, that is going to fail.
Put the seat latch key hole near the seat latch!
We aren't going to mind.
(when you're sitting on the seat and reach down to the ignition to open the seat it ain't going to open anyway - your keester is on the seat! So, you have to stand next to the scoot and bend over awkwardly to work the ignition key to open the seat. Old guys ride scooters. Old guys don't do 'bending over awkwardly'. Put the seat key hole on the side near the latch! Where a fellow stands some chance of getting it open with a coat hanger... like on my LIKE200i!
Just sayin'
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:29:28 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Philly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 06:00:59 PM »
Found an interesting video on youtube where the guy is re-routing the seat release cable and putting it inside some other tubing. I don't know if this would help or not but you can check it out.

8eeman77

• Work hard, ride safe
  • I'm a scooter loving Apiarist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 12:59:10 PM »
An important point I failed to mention in my previous post is that you MUST turn the scooters power on first before turning the key the opposite way to unlock the seat.
The Kymco DT 300i ABS is the best scooter you can get. I love it's carefree automatic ride. I would like to see kymco make a 600cc version but no heavier then the 300. I would buy it for sure

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 06:46:17 PM »
An important point I failed to mention in my previous post is that you MUST turn the scooters power on first before turning the key the opposite way to unlock the seat.

you do NOT need to turn on the power to open the seat. just turn the key counterclockwise and it pops open.

mitch

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 08:08:18 AM »
Hi.

I took the gas strut off of the bottom bracket to release and fully open the seat up so as I could take the pot (Under seat storage) out to see how easy it was as compared to other scoots and to have a look see at the engine etc.

When I finished I re-installed the pot then bolted the strut back onto the bottom bracket and tried to shut the seat.

The LHS latch was fine however the muffler side latch would not engage as the seat was slightly warping as I closed it down

I knew the seat had been fine before I took the strut off and so I knew the problem was down to me.

I thought it through and realised that I had bolted the bottom of the strut onto the wrong side of the bracket.

Although the difference in spacing was only a couple of mm or so it was sufficient to cause the seat to slightly warp when almost closed and this was the cause of my problem.

I undid the bottom bolt and nut from the bracket and transferred the bottom of the strut to other side of the bracket and all was then OK.
Mitch.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()