Author Topic: Newbie saying Hi  (Read 4458 times)

The Rookie

• View Profile
Newbie saying Hi
« on: May 24, 2012, 12:27:02 PM »
Just to introduce myself, My name is Simon and I'm an auto engineer (for 25 years), I know how to spanner cars and bikes (of the human powered variety) but I've just got an Agility 50 for my daughter as she needs it to get to work, we've got a fairly clean 2009 bike but the previous owner has been playing with it somewhat so I'll be seeking lots of advice while I seek to restore it to it's former (restricted - I care about my 16YO daughter) glory.

To summarise the work that may need doing
1/ Variator has been changed changed (malossi - new rollers and springs), may or may not need to reverse this (rather not)
2/ Sports air filter fitted (and then lost) so I'll be fitting a standard airbox
3/ Main jet changed, presume I'll need to change this back when I fit the airbox
4/ Exhaust changed, have the standard one so that will be going back on
5/ The Black panel under the rear coloured one (with the rear reflector and above the rear hang down panel) is broken by the right hand indicator, does the coloured bodywork have to come off to change this? I at least need to get 'behind' this to fit the indicator better than it is now, a replacement panel isn't much so may as well swap it out - suggestions anyone?
Thanks in advance

blue

• View Profile
Re: Newbie saying Hi
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 01:00:37 PM »
Hi and welcome to the fourm.
As far as the variator I would just keep it.the jets I would put in a 82 main.the plastic and lights yes get the scoot looking nice again. looks like your on the right track good luck and keep your doughter safe. teach her some safty about scooting also.

The Rookie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 02:09:36 PM »
Thanks Blue for that, I'm guessing the carb is easy to understand once it's out from the bike, so will refit the original Jet (I'll check sizes in case it IS the original in there now!)
Any ideas on the rear panel?

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 04:19:38 PM »
Yeah like blue says an #82 main jet once you refit the stock air box, you can do this with out removing the carb from the bike totally, loosen off both hoses, intake and the manidlfold side, then you can flip it over in situ with all other wiring and acc cable in place. Slide a rag under it before you flip it to catch any fuel that leaks out the bowl, wont be much.

I took off my coloured panels last yr to spray them, im sure the rear panel needs to come off to remove the bottom black rear panel, may be wrong tho.

Where are u based? Uk? If your swapping the exaust out to the stock one and dont want to keep the sportier one let me know, maybe we can do a deal on it? If your in the UK? My exhaust is due to be replaced in the next few months so if you want rid of it and it suits what im looking for i would maybe be interested in buying it, if you dont want to keep it.

Message me once you get round to doing the work if your interested.

Oh and welcome  :)

You may want to look at this derestriction guide i made up, you would just do it in reverse to go back to stock.
 http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=6198.0
Chaos is my co-pilot.

The Rookie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 05:26:22 PM »
Thanks streido, yes I am in the UK, the exhaust on it is a Leo Vance (see them everywhere!), I'm based in the Midlands (Leamington Spa, just south of Coventry).

Hmm so going to be a PITA of a job to fix the indicator - Oh well!

The derestrictor guide is very helpful, helps explain the tape wrapped CDI unit that came in the box of spare bits! Presume it's fitted by the battery somewhere?

EDIT: Well there was a LOT to takeoff to do the indicator, but just needed to cut a panel out of some spare plastic sheet a drill a hole and it's sorted

Trouble is the more I take off the more I find to do!

Found the CDI unit, the one on there is unbranded (no Kymco logo) so is it likely to be de-restricted or just a 'chinese copy'.......
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:57:27 PM by The Rookie »

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 08:24:51 PM »
Mmmm, Leo Vince is my favorite  :D

Im in Glasgow, Scotland so if its in sound condition and you do decide to sell it on just let me know when the time comes. I'll def be interested if i got the cash and we can sort something out.

On the cdi, im not sure they are branded with the Kymco logo, i'd need to check? Mine has green connectors on it, a lot of the chinese cdis have white. If its been cut there should be evidence of it on the bottom edge? If its a chinese copy the chances are its an unrestricted one.

You will find there will be a few small jobs need doing to get it up to spec maybe, i had the same small issues on mine for the 1st month or so but once its all sorted it should be fine hopefully.

There was a guy on ebay breaking one a day or 2 ago, maybe try him if you need any plastic parts or stock bits? He had an ad listed under "Kymco agility belt" i think.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

The Rookie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »
Thanks Streido, I'll let you know once it's off!

I have a standard CDI with green connectors and it's marked Kymco and has a part number, the one on the bike has no logo, no part number and white connector, may see if I can get a stock unmolested one in exchange for this!

I've already got the heel panel and an airbox coming, the rest are screws and so on, so will get from a dealer for the right parts if they aren't too expensive, biggest issue is that one bolt holding on the rear grab rail has stripped the boss in the frame (how the hell do you do that!)

The spare main get is labelled as an 80 while the bag it's in is labelled as a 90, so suspect the 90 is in the carb, will change that!

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 09:25:14 PM »
Yeah 80 main jet if its re-restricted, 82 if its de-restricted, anything from 84-110+ for open filter and leo vince.

You can just solder the cut in the wire on the original Kymco cdi, save you buying one? If it comes to it you may need to solder in a pice of wire depending how its been cut but should be simple to do once you find the 2 ends.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

The Rookie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 09:37:03 PM »
I thought of trying to resolder, but
1/ Not sure if it works (yes easy to try), he's presumably replaced for a reason
2/ No exposed wire to solder to, as the wire is thin I think I'll struggle to dig away round it without breaking the wire!

OK the 80 will go back in....anyone want a 90?

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 09:48:21 PM »
Its def worth a try since your not planning on using the cdi anyway, if it doesnt work just bin it. The wire runs along the bottom end, opposite end from the connectors, if you take a large file and file the top edge off you should eventually find the cut wire, mine was just above halfway deep im sure when i filed mine down to cut it. I could see it when i got to it and stopped filing and just cut it with a knife. Should be simple to solder then.

Maybe the guy swapped it for the other as the other may be a cheapo "race" cdi meant to improve the power curve etc? Did you try the original one in yet to see if it works? If it does then it should be fine if you rejoin the restricting wire.

And yes, its in by the battery  :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

The Rookie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 06:21:50 PM »
Thanks, using the trusty dremel I cut either side of where he filed through the wire and pinged away sections of case and the potting and now have circa 10mm or wire exposed each side so aim to solder a bridge in and then cover over with some silicon.

Previous owner has confirmed it's a 'race' CDI unit fitted with modified mapping, also swapped the main jet back to an 80.

I've fitted a new airbox, but have a question

The long thin 'vacuum sized' hose ending bottom left, where does that go? I can't find anything like it on the bike and haven't a clue where to route it to!

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 06:42:02 PM »
that would be the crankcase breather tube, its all part of the "SAS" system or "secondary air system" mine came off and got chewed by the rear wheel so i just left it hanging with the rest of the overflow pipes that hang around the bottom left hand side of the scoot. ONCE i get mine sorted my secondary air system will be obselete because there aint really any need for it....and welcome to the Forum  ;D
Courage is measured in how much tyre you use.

2010 Kymco Agility 72..Naraku 72cc race cylinder...Naraku 50cc race head
Naraku Race CDi...Polini free flow filter...Motoforce Racing Carb
NGK Irirdium plug...Naraku Race Variator...Malossi fly clutch
Stage 6 cnc clutch bell...1500 Rpm torque sprin

The Rookie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 07:40:32 PM »
OK thanks, I think he's put some non standard hose on there so can put this on it's place......

Most emissions regs require a 'closed' breather system so fumes don't ent to atmosphere, that will be why it's fitted!

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 11:09:21 PM »
Yeah just take off the new hose he fitted coming out the top of the valve cover and fit this one on. Should be fine.  :)

I would def fit lighter rollers when you get to the variator, 5.5g maybe, will help a little with hills and getting up to speed. Given all the other mods the previous owner did i would guess they prob are lighter now, he may even have a stiffer torque spring in too, i would keep it in if he did cos the agility tends to die on hills as stock and it becomes annoying seeing the huge traffic queue behind you at every hill.

None of these will affect the top speed if you fit the restricted boss, it just makes it more useable and rideable.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

The Rookie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 05:09:43 AM »
Thanks, I think it has lighter rollers (seeing as how I have a Malossi bag with used ones in it) and also new clutch springs (I have anoter Malossi bag with 3 different coloured spring sets), no sign of a variator boss though!

Anyone know what the spring colours in the Malossi set are and what they mean, that way I can hopefully use a process of elimination to determine what is fitted, I know it needs a good wristful to get going, but then picks up really well.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()