Author Topic: The butt buffer and my quest for a comfy seat  (Read 4544 times)

duesouth

• View Profile
The butt buffer and my quest for a comfy seat
« on: May 25, 2012, 03:55:02 PM »
I thought I'd share this for those who are interested. I spend a lot of time on the DT, I've had it a year and have 7000 miles (11000km). If you're like me, you find the seat a tad bit on the uncomfy side for rides longer than 20 minutes. After scheming of ways to get more leg room and comfort. I stumbled upon the butt buffer. Jokes aside, and after reading a few reviews, I bought it. It's a medical gel filled seat cover that comes in a lot of different sizes and coverings. First few rides, I thought it was great, then I wasn't sure. Now, a month later, I don't think I can ride with out it. It adds about 1/2-3/4 of an inch to the ride height (2cm +/-). Perhaps its psychological, but my legs felt a tiny bit less squatted. Which feels good, but then it puts my helmet more into the air stream coming over the windshield. It has long broad hooks that grabs the useless plastic on the bottom of the seat that protrudes down into the storage area. I purchased the vinyl covering thinking that if it rained, it wouldn't be a big deal to wipe off. And it's not. However, with the straps running under the seat, I found that the rain water just follows the strap down and into the storage. My gloves got wet on that day. So, now I remove when it looks like rain. Very easy to do. I also noticed that the black vinyl and gel traps heat. Leaving it in the sun makes it feel uncomfortably hot. Except when it's a bit chilly, then it feels good. Perhaps a lighter color, or different fabric would solve the problem. But again, not hard at all to unhook and toss under the seat. Overall, I'd buy it again. I find when I'm actually riding, I suffer less fatigue on my soft side and the seat is noticeably more comfy. Now if I could figure out how to move the seat bumper back a little....

espresso

• View Profile
Re: The butt buffer and my quest for a comfy seat
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:25:53 PM »
hi, this is what im looking for. the downtown seat is just not that comfortable for me. i was just wondering what size did you get and how much was it?

thanks
espresso

duesouth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 02:21:57 PM »
12 x 16 prices are at buttbuffer.com. Roughly $87.

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 05:17:35 PM »
Looks like you styole that from grannys sittin chair, you may as well go get the switch from the willow tree now
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

duesouth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 05:37:13 PM »
A long time ago I quite worrying about what other people though, and started buying what I liked. It's why I gave up sport bikes and started buying scooters. I just spent 7 hours on the granny seat yesterday and didn't suffer nearly the butt and back fatigue as I've experienced without it. If I could get it to fit on my WR450, I'd put it on there too.

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 05:43:39 PM »
Ha the wr450s seat is extremely uncomfortable, wedgie machine, Ive rode them, DS350/400s, KLR250/650, KE100,125,250, and last the 87 XL600R I just bought. I love the enduros, but cant ride them for too long before the butt goes numb. Except for the KE series, it was like riding a couch cushion, and they were 2 strokes too!
Either way at the end of the day I agree it doesnt matter what it looks like as long as my butt and back dont hurt.
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 11:42:15 AM »
Many people use AirHawk seats cushions. I thought they were too expensive. I purchased this option here from AirVent for around $50.00

http://airventusa.com/lt2003test.htm

Has worked well over the years. I don't know why Kymco must make such a hard seat.
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 01:18:18 PM »
I guess AirVent went out of business. Sorry for the bad link!

I found another scooter seat that looks nice in neoprene or sheepskin. It's memory foam & gel combo.

I like the 14"x14" (large) for my GT300i in neoprene myself. My current AirVent is ok for short runs, but after an hour, it seems like my backside starts killing me again. Just a "Heads-Up"
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()