Author Topic: what do you guys use to keep the sun out your eyes?  (Read 3305 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
what do you guys use to keep the sun out your eyes?
« on: May 28, 2012, 08:45:45 AM »
Eventually i plan on getting a helmet with a built in 2nd sun visor but until then whats the best for keeping the sun out your eyes? What does everyone else use?

I can slightly tint my visor but it has to be clear or only have a only a very mild tint to comply with our traffic laws here. Also tints are not allowed at night so i would need to carry a spare clear visor if i planned being out after dark. Dont see much point in such a low tint anyway so i havent done that. I could go for a dark tint and hope i dont get pulled but its not worth the hassle.

Tried sunglasses under my helmet but the legs got pushed into the side of my head and felt too uncomfortable to use for anymore than a short journey, maybe there are special sunglasses for using with motorcycle helmets?

Or do i just ride with my eyes closed?  :D

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 08:47:48 AM by streido »
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: what do you guys use to keep the sun out your eyes?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 08:59:39 AM »
I use Bolle' Safety Glasses similar to these.  They fit snugly and run to the sides so wind can't come in while wearing only a skull cap.  The temples are thin, flexible, comfortable, adjustable, and quite strong enough. And since they're safety glasses, you can use it while working in the shop.

Sunglasses are not really good for wind.

Another is to look for sunglasses pilots use. They usually have straight and flat temples.

Or if you have the money..... Tag Heuer

http://motorcycles.about.com/od/gearreviews/gr/tag_heuer_squadra_sunglass_review.htm
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 09:14:35 AM by Vivo »

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 09:18:59 AM »
Hmmm pilots glasses? Maybe, ill have a look. I even tried cutting down the legs off an old pair of sunglasses i had so i had just enough to slip under the helmet but still it was not wearable for any great length of time. Too uncomfortable.

I want UV protection for my eyes too tho so not sure those dark safety glasses have that? Will look into that idea too.
Cheers.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 09:21:35 AM »
These Bolle' safety glasses have UV protection because they are recommended for outdoor work.
They are also anti-fog.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 09:23:45 AM by Vivo »

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 12:30:38 PM »
I use Bolle' Safety Glasses similar to these.  They fit snugly and run to the sides so wind can't come in while wearing only a skull cap.  The temples are thin, flexible, comfortable, adjustable, and quite strong enough. And since they're safety glasses, you can use it while working in the shop.

Sunglasses are not really good for wind.

Another is to look for sunglasses pilots use. They usually have straight and flat temples.

Or if you have the money..... Tag Heuer

http://motorcycles.about.com/od/gearreviews/gr/tag_heuer_squadra_sunglass_review.htm
x 2 I got 2 one clear and one yellow the yellow is ok for the sun but not much.check out harbor frat there cheap.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 12:32:24 PM »
Also chek out the hunting dept.in stores for the shooting glasses.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 12:50:12 PM »
Also chek out the hunting dept.in stores for the shooting glasses.

Our stores dont have hunting dept's. Gun ownership etc is practically zero in our country unless your a farmer or something. We prefer to shoot Tequila  :D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

hippiebrian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 01:25:11 PM »
Try out those built in shades before you buy.  I have an HJC that has one of those flip down things, but can't use it because it hits my nose.  You may be better off with the Harbor Freight safety glasses.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 01:28:56 PM »
We use the add-on sunscreen from an auto parts store.  The kind used for automobile windshields.
Apply a 1" strip across the top of the helmet visor...  on the outside of the visor.

It is not low enough to view through unless you tip your head down, but it cuts the glare from the sun most of the day (not late evenings).

Easy to apply, easy to get off,  ok to have some lack of smoothness since you don't see thru it.

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 02:27:34 PM »
What?!?! No one uses their hand anymore? Ya know, like salute-style to keep the sun out!?!   :D

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

Wiz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 02:47:29 PM »
Here is what I use --

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/69/19887/ITEM/GMax-Flip-Tint-Sun-Shield-Conversion-Kit-for-GMax-Helmets.aspx

It's on the outside of the shield so you don't have to worry about it hitting your nose. You can flip it up for night riding or if it gets cloudy.

Here is another option

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/visors/helmet-sun-blocker/
Current Rides: Can-Am Ryker Rally 900cc, Gold 2012 People GTI 300.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »
I just wear a pair of sunglasses under my helmet. However, Harley Davidson has a pair of safety glasses I picked up at Home Depot that come in both clear and tinted. I keep the clear pair under my seat to wear at night if it's really windy or raining.

-Wolf

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 04:26:49 PM »
What?!?! No one uses their hand anymore? Ya know, like salute-style to keep the sun out!?!   :D
One hand for holding a cig and a beer and the other for working the throttle, got no hands left to block the sun?  :D

I like the idea of the visor attatchment from Wiz and also the car windshield sunvisor thing on my helmet visor. Prob give those a go 1st i think.

Will look online tonight and see if i can get one that def works for my helmet.

Good ideas, thanks everyone.  :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 05:13:30 PM »
One hand for holding a cig and a beer and the other for working the throttle, got no hands left to block the sun?  :D

I like the idea of the visor attatchment from Wiz and also the car windshield sunvisor thing on my helmet visor. Prob give those a go 1st i think.

Will look online tonight and see if i can get one that def works for my helmet.

Good ideas, thanks everyone.  :) sounds like you need a helmet with the beer holders on it.......

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 08:12:56 PM »
I use modular helmets with additional sun visor.
Imho the only option, as we have several tunnels, partially without illumination.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()