Author Topic: My Kymco Scooter maybe in trouble?? [SOLVED]  (Read 4125 times)

Aceforever

• View Profile
My Kymco Scooter maybe in trouble?? [SOLVED]
« on: May 29, 2012, 08:14:57 AM »
Hey yall,

I am experiencing a little hop when I try to throttle the scooter at a complete stop. It didn't use to hop before only started this week.

Scooter Details:
- Kymco Agility 125 [Correcting]
- Done 16000kms so far. Last service was done at 13500kms.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance
CHEERS :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 02:11:39 PM by buckmajor »

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: My Kymco Scooter maybe in trouble??
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 08:24:20 AM »
You mean it jumps off the line too aggressively? If yes check your clutch fly springs.

May as well check over the whole cvt system too if your in there anyway. Check belt, clutch pad condition, variator, rollers Give it all a good clean up etc. Belt dust etc and general wear and tear of cvt can cause all sorts of issues. I would def check clutch springs 1st tho or just replace them if theyre old anyway since they prob need done if you havent did them for a while.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Aceforever

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:57:51 PM »
You mean it jumps off the line too aggressively? If yes check your clutch fly springs.

May as well check over the whole cvt system too if your in there anyway. Check belt, clutch pad condition, variator, rollers Give it all a good clean up etc. Belt dust etc and general wear and tear of cvt can cause all sorts of issues. I would def check clutch springs 1st tho or just replace them if theyre old anyway since they prob need done if you havent did them for a while.
Hi Streido, thanks for the quick response. Yes, it jumps off the line a little bit. Man, I have no idea how to open the bike up or check the clutch springs, etc? Does this mean I am better off taking it in for another service? I remember the mechanic telling me before "The belt normally last up to 15000-20000kms". I have been consistent with a service at every 4500kms.

I appreciate your help.

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 02:38:21 PM »
If you were planning to have the belt changed professionally , that would be in the same area and be a good time to change your clutch springs . I had my roller weights , and clutch weights , which contain the clutch plates replaced at the same time . That way all of the normal wear items have been redone . Good luck .
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 02:45:43 PM by juice »

Aceforever

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 04:00:59 PM »
Cool! At least I know what to expect now. Thanks. Time for the professionals to get dirty with my bike ;)

CHEERS :)

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 04:17:43 PM »
Hi Streido, thanks for the quick response. Yes, it jumps off the line a little bit. Man, I have no idea how to open the bike up or check the clutch springs, etc? Does this mean I am better off taking it in for another service? I remember the mechanic telling me before "The belt normally last up to 15000-20000kms". I have been consistent with a service at every 4500kms.

I appreciate your help.

I really think a full proper service should have covered the clutch springs, maybe not tho. Maybe call and act as a new customer looking for a service and ask what their service will include? Maybe they just checked your belt, air filter and rollers and swapped out the oils?

My stock belt lasted 8000-9000km before it was at its service limit of 16.5mm wide (17.7mm or 18mm is new). I still kept my old belt as a back up emergency belt. If your old springs were worn and loose then perhaps they have swapped the springs and thats why it now feels more "jumpy" off the line? Its not something to try yourself if your not too mech minded or used to servicing working on things yourself. Its not too hard to do yourself if you have the tools tho and want to try it?

The spring stiffness controls when your clutch will engage, stiffer and the rpms go higher till it lets the clutch pads grip to give better take off. Softer springs give a less aggressive slower take off. It def sounds to me like something is amiss in the clutch, either with the springs, or the clutch itself, could just be belt dust and grime in it tho too. Without seeing it its hard to pinpoint exactly. Must be something in the transmission needing cleaned up, replaced or repaired i would say tho. Shouldnt be anything too expensive or serious. Sometimes these things sort themselves out or just go away themselves, gremlins messing with your scoot  :D

Keep us posted how you get on if you get it sorted out. My money is def on something in the clutch needing attention.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 04:18:38 PM »
Btw those belt widths are for my Agility your size is prob different.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Aceforever

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 04:43:13 PM »
I really think a full proper service should have covered the clutch springs, maybe not tho. Maybe call and act as a new customer looking for a service and ask what their service will include? Maybe they just checked your belt, air filter and rollers and swapped out the oils?

My stock belt lasted 8000-9000km before it was at its service limit of 16.5mm wide (17.7mm or 18mm is new). I still kept my old belt as a back up emergency belt. If your old springs were worn and loose then perhaps they have swapped the springs and thats why it now feels more "jumpy" off the line? Its not something to try yourself if your not too mech minded or used to servicing working on things yourself. Its not too hard to do yourself if you have the tools tho and want to try it?

The spring stiffness controls when your clutch will engage, stiffer and the rpms go higher till it lets the clutch pads grip to give better take off. Softer springs give a less aggressive slower take off. It def sounds to me like something is amiss in the clutch, either with the springs, or the clutch itself, could just be belt dust and grime in it tho too. Without seeing it its hard to pinpoint exactly. Must be something in the transmission needing cleaned up, replaced or repaired i would say tho. Shouldnt be anything too expensive or serious. Sometimes these things sort themselves out or just go away themselves, gremlins messing with your scoot  :D

Keep us posted how you get on if you get it sorted out. My money is def on something in the clutch needing attention.
This is awesome! I am learning a lot here :). I have the same scooter '09' Kymco Agility 125cc, Red Color: http://www.kymcousa.com/showroom/scooters/agility125/index.html. I will take it in to the mechanic and definitely find out. Will post back soon.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 06:17:25 PM »
Mine is only a 50cc Agility..........

I just ride it like its a 125cc  ;D

Good luck, hope its a quick and easy (cheap) fix  :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Aceforever

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 04:11:54 AM »
I'm back. Yea its gonna cost over $350 for a new belt, cable, etc :(. Didn't expect this but it had to be done for a scooter.

Thanks guys.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 09:01:12 AM »
Wtf ??? Seems awfully expensive?

Guess thats why most of us do our own work now instead of paying the man.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 10:47:18 AM »
Wtf ??? Seems awfully expensive?

Guess thats why most of us do our own work now instead of paying the man.
True that parts are even geting expensive as scoots are geting back on the road again.
its been years sense I seen so many back on the road.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 12:25:04 PM »
Still even then its still expensive.

I got quoted £45 for a new belt the other week locally from a dealer, found the exact same one online for £15 delivered, just shows the dealers mark up is WAY too high. Same with carb jets and even spark plugs, all around 3x higher from the official Kymco dealer, hence why i dont use tjem unless its an emergency or i cant source the part elsewhere.

I know they have overheads etc that online store dont have but the belt i got online was from a place that also has a physical shop too ao if they can sell for £12 + £3 delivery why cant Kymco dealers sell for the same ???
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Aceforever

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 04:58:26 AM »
Hey guys, I just got my bike out of the workshop. Kind of disappointing. My bike is still kind making a little jump but not as heavy as the first time. I asked for the belt and seems like nothing was wrong with it, hard to tell maybe to a professional it looks differently. Anyway, I'm pretty eager to learn how to fix myself.

How often do you have to change the oil? But the oil wouldn't make it jump, will it? The oil was change the last time I got it service about 3Ks ago.

Thanks for help again :)

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 06:00:22 AM »
The oil won't make it jump. Just follow the manual with regards to oil change intervals.

Jumps may be caused by a glazed clutch. What they do is sand the surface of the clutch to remove glaze.

I had jumps before but since I don't have the time to dismantle things, I just ignored it and rode. No more jumps now. Maybe a few hard accelerations may cure some small jumps.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()