Author Topic: Gun control and Politics  (Read 5182 times)

Vivo

• View Profile
Gun control and Politics
« on: June 02, 2012, 09:07:16 AM »
In our country, one can purchase a gun and have it licensed but it is unlawful to carry it outside the house concealed or otherwise. There are specific rules if you want to bring your gun to the range for practice. If you want to carry your gun, you have to get a "license to carry" and this has requisites e.g. your line of business require you to carry one like a money changer or jeweller. If there is a threat to your life and you can prove this, etc. The type of gun one can only purchase must not exceed .38 or 9mm. High power firearms like magnums and military type guns (M16, AK-47) are not allowed. There are some campaigns from several groups to ban the gun. Politicians are still not reacting to this maybe because most of them own firearms also. I don't know about the rest of the world how gun issues are being handled by politicians.

I think that only those who can't appreciate firearms want guns banned.

axy

• View Profile
Re: Gun control and Politics
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 09:28:32 AM »
In our country, one can purchase a gun and have it licensed but it is unlawful to carry it outside the house concealed or otherwise. There are specific rules if you want to bring your gun to the range for practice. If you want to carry your gun, you have to get a "license to carry" and this has requisites e.g. your line of business require you to carry one like a money changer or jeweller.

The same in Croatia. In your home, the gun has to be kept in a locked safe SEPARATELY from ammunition. Police performs periodic checks, they visit you in your house and check how the gun is stored. You also have to go the psychiatrist for evaluation before you get your license.

License to carry is very difficult if not impossible to obtain.

You can have a gun that has to be reloaded manually (no semis or automatic weapons) or hunter's rifle with less than 5 rounds.

---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 09:44:29 AM »
Police don't check here. That's why a lot of people have unlicensed firearms. Some have Paltik (paltik means fake) These are copies of popular guns like colts and smiths made by a backyard industry in one of the provinces here. Paltiks are illegal guns and cannot be registered. A Paltik revolver may cost around P4,000.00 versus around P50,000.00 for the original one.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 01:04:15 PM »
We are almost the same as Axy only All handguns are illegal here, shotguns or rifles for hunting are all thats allowed. Nobody can carry ANY gun in public unless on private land, ie hunting area or a range. Gun ownership is tiny here, nobody i know has one.

Handguns were banned in the 80s or early 90s after a few nuts went crazy, one guy took out a load of kids and teachers at a junior school and that sealed their fate. Good thing imo, we have no need for guns in private hands. At least until the revolution begins.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 06:53:51 PM »
Here in the US it varies by state, I live in NJ and owning a rifle or handgun is allowed (actually is allowed in every state by constitutional order and Supreme court ruling) but licensing for a hand gun is more strict then the hunting rifle.

Getting a carry permit is highly regulated. In some state like (Arizona and I think Florida) have open carry laws, which pretty much states you can carry your handgun as long as it is visible for everyone to see (hip holster etc.).

My beef with our states system is that going through all the motions to own a gun legally is a hard thing to do, finger prints, full background check, Interpol, paperwork, fees, renewals, transportation rules etc...

Meanwhile a criminal can pick up pretty much anything he/she wants on the street for a couple of hundred dollars give or take.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 09:32:24 PM »
to own a gun legally is a hard thing to do, finger prints, full background check, Interpol, paperwork, fees, renewals, transportation rules etc...

Exactly the same thing here, the only exception is that in my country, handgun is considered to be the least harmful weapon, so it is the only kind of weapon, except rifle if you are active hunter, that you can get.

Sometimes I watch documentaries about militia members in USA that have gatling guns and automatic assault rifles... nobody is allowed to have those here.

We had war here 20 years ago and from time to time they discover people that have howitzers, RPG launchers or ground to air rockets hidden in sheds. :) :) :)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

automattic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 10:46:41 PM »
I live in the state of Michigan in the USA. Here you are allowed to own rifles, handguns, and tasers(if you have a concealed pistol license). This state is also an open carry state meaning you can carry a rifle or pistol on your person as long as it is visible and not concealed. No special license is needed to open carry but the gun must be registered. To conceal a pistol on your person requires a concealed pistol license. As long as your record is good with no felonies, assaults, etc. you can get a CPL. You are allowed to carry as many guns on your person that can fit and there are no restrictions on magazine/clip size, like in some states like California that only allows 10 rounds in the clip/magazine.
Check out this youtube vid of a Michigander open carrying a AK-47 assault rifle LOL. May not be safe for work as he uses swear words.

If your wondering why he doesnt have to show id, its because you only have to show id if you are under suspicion of committing a crime. Since open carry is legal its basically the same as if he was just merely walking down the street without a gun.
Silver 2007 Kymco People S 250

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 10:53:09 PM »
Exactly the same thing here, the only exception is that in my country, handgun is considered to be the least harmful weapon, so it is the only kind of weapon, except rifle if you are active hunter, that you can get.

Sometimes I watch documentaries about militia members in USA that have gatling guns and automatic assault rifles... nobody is allowed to have those here.

We had war here 20 years ago and from time to time they discover people that have howitzers, RPG launchers or ground to air rockets hidden in sheds. :) :) :)

If guns were my main hobby I'd no doubt have a bunch of them, but I have other hobbies and responsibilities that take precedence. Boating, scooting, my little girl in reverse order. Guns can be had in NJ but it is far easier in other states, states like NY can be harder then NJ, cities like NYC can be very hard.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 03:35:58 AM »
Every person I know has several guns. My daughter has had a CCW since she was 21. (carry concealed weapon) If everybody is legitimately armed not many thieves will be around. I don't know how many people remember Bernhard Goetz... He is one of my real life heroes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhard_Goetz

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

hippiebrian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 04:41:50 AM »
Personally, I could care less one way or the other.  If it suddenly became legal in Ca. to carry (lol, ya, right, that's going to happen!) I still wouldn't.  I've owned guns.  I used to hunt, shoot skeet and target shoot but got away from it.  As far as protection goes, for me it's a cost vs. reality issue.  I really don't go anywhere where I'd ever have a gun pulled on me and I don't own anything that's so important that I would feel the need to shoot anyone who tried to take it.  Besides, a vast majority of home invasions happen when no one's home anyhow!  So from a cost/benefit and risk assesment perspective, it would make no sense for me to be armed.  If it makes sense to you, however, go for it.  Like I said, I couldn't care less one way or the other.

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 10:35:13 AM »
No firearms and no other dangerous weapons (like long knives (blade >=85mm), slingshots, ...) allowed.
There is a legal limo allowing kitchen knifes, as they are considered tools used for their designated purpose.
Posessing an illegal/unregistered weapon is considered an offense.
Carrying with you (even if not using it) during a theft etc. a felony.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 08:14:13 PM »
Personally, I could care less one way or the other.  If it suddenly became legal in Ca. to carry (lol, ya, right, that's going to happen!) I still wouldn't.  I've owned guns.  I used to hunt, shoot skeet and target shoot but got away from it.  As far as protection goes, for me it's a cost vs. reality issue.  I really don't go anywhere where I'd ever have a gun pulled on me and I don't own anything that's so important that I would feel the need to shoot anyone who tried to take it.  Besides, a vast majority of home invasions happen when no one's home anyhow!  So from a cost/benefit and risk assesment perspective, it would make no sense for me to be armed.  If it makes sense to you, however, go for it.  Like I said, I couldn't care less one way or the other.

I can't argue your points much as the numbers are certainly in your favor, to be contrary though the Zodiac killer used to hunt his victims at night when they were home sleeping, the gun may/may not have helped but I'd rather have it. As for the cost issue a $100 hand gun isn't too expensive and a .22 round will do more damage then some think.

Ts1 where are you from?

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 02:45:00 AM »

I had four handguns. Sold the three because they just collected dust and rust. I just retained one, and my favorite, the .38 American Derringer. My collection are knives and I carry one folder everyday since
high school. It's like a hanky, can't leave home without it. There's no law on knives here also and they sell knives in every mall or sporting goods store.  Thieves here prefer the daytime and with people in the house. They knock, point a gun or knife, enter your house, tie-up every one, get money and valuables, then leave. It's easier for them this way. That's why I have three dogs. I have a knife near the tv, dining area, bathroom, garage, in the car and in the scoot. Knives are silent, easily maintained, and they don't jam.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 03:45:14 AM »
I have Louisville Sluggers at every entrance of the house/shop. + one special item under the mattress. Forgot... The dogs.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 05:40:29 AM »
I have Louisville Sluggers at every entrance of the house/shop. + one special item under the mattress. Forgot... The dogs.

oh....I thought for a while you said "slugs".... ;D

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()