Author Topic: What about a Flat Tire?  (Read 6176 times)

Syl

• View Profile
What about a Flat Tire?
« on: June 03, 2012, 10:35:54 AM »
While still learning about scooters, I am wondering about all the options when one would happen to occur? My first thought is...at least carry a can of fix a flat  to limp to better help, call a friend with a truck if known, use AAA if one has it, or ??? Depending on the type of flat, is it ok to use "fix a flat" and carry one with you? A while back, I inquired about AAA for scooter insurance for such an event but the price made me forget about it for awhile. Years ago, I had a hauling trailer (not for (scooters) but that is years ago before getting into this new hobby! The other thought I have is to ask the dealer if they have a hot number for such a situation but I look at that as having to take a loan out! Appreciate your thoughts.

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
Re: What about a Flat Tire?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 11:06:02 AM »
Tough Question...I pay about $180.00 / yr. for AAA so I can have the Towing Package for Scooters.
It covers up to 100 miles of towing.  Used it once for a flat a mile from the house.  All calls to AAA
go thru OK. and takes like an hour for them to get there.  Second flat used my own pick-up at 5:00 am.

Two flat bed tows from accidents paid by insurance towing.  Might check for that feature on your
insurance.   These accumulated in over 50,000 miles of riding on 4 bikes.

I have sold my truck and now have a trailer,  but that will no longer help me because my wife
would be involved.  Too much work for her.

The best insurance I've found is my tires had already started to lose air when I left home.  I bought
an Orange Plastic hammer and sometimes thump both tires as a double check and periodically check the tread for foreign objects.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 11:40:03 AM »
Google (ride on) tire sealant. Much better than slime, the green stuff. Ride on will not dry out, it will balance your tires. Unless you have a something go through the side wall of the tire, or have a huge bolt or something go into the tread area, you will have nothing to worry about. You could put 50 nails and screws into your tire and it will not go flat. Non toxic, seals instantly, and your tires need to be air'ed up much less often. This stuff works. ;D :-*

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 09:56:51 AM »
I don't leave home without a can of that tire sealant, but I've got some roadside assistance membership
too ($50/year), and I have no idea what it covers.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 11:21:41 AM »
I carry a tire plugger kit, a small air pump and AAA (RV +).  I hope that with all of those I'll get home safely.

In my car, I carry a can of fix-a-flat.  My experience with that is it works but it can throw the tire out-of-balance.  On a car that's not THAT big a deal.  On a scoot, I'm not so sure.

Don in KC.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 11:25:17 PM »
So with nothing else at hand, is the Fix-a-Flat not a good idea to depend on due to the balance problem that may be created?

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 03:23:13 AM »
I carry a tire plugger kit, a small air pump and AAA (RV +).  I hope that with all of those I'll get home safely.

In my car, I carry a can of fix-a-flat.  My experience with that is it works but it can throw the tire out-of-balance.  On a car that's not THAT big a deal.  On a scoot, I'm not so sure.

Don in KC.

+1 on the tire plugger kit and a small air pump. A small bicycle hand pump will be easy to store.

As to Fix-A-Flat, there are many brands on the market today.  Choose one that do not have butane or other flammable propellants. These fix-a-flat products are purely temporary and is used just to get you to the nearest tire shop while the plugger kit and pump can be a more permanent application.

As to the tire sealant, get one that does not contain corrosive chemicals that may damage the internal part of your wheel.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 12:40:35 PM »
I have never had a flat with ride-on. You will be amazed at how much smoother the bike is with perfectly balanced tires. I do not carry anything for a flat like plug kits, fix a flat and so on. If you get a flat in the side wall, or if the tire separates do to a defect there is nothing you can do anyway, but to have it towed? So why carry all of that stuff? It won't do u any good anyway. :-*

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 10:25:48 PM »
Get an AMA membership:

$49.99/year and it covers all your cars, trucks bikes, and trailers, and rv

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/membership/amaroadsideassistance

35 miles of towing is tops, but to me that would be sifficient.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 11:47:50 PM »
This will get a laugh... I call a buddy to bring a rope. I "water ski" it home regularly. My left arm is just a bit longer now ;)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 03:38:35 AM »
Heh heh . . . but can you do that with a flat tire?  ;)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 04:43:26 AM »
On the Avons, or Pirellis ...   YES.  I had forgotten to fill the Pirellis (rear) after painting the rim, and rode it for three days with no air. The side walls are strong enough to do it.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 02:00:53 AM »
I will never do that. 

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 04:04:44 AM »
...So technically, the Avons or Pirellis would be the best tire to have if you fear flats or punctures along the ride? I was thinking about this the other day. Do they make a "run flat" tire for bikes? I like to ride when it's friggin' hot out. I mean well over 105º but only since the weekends are my available free time. My biggest fear is a blowout or other tire failure while cruising at my regular 75+ speeds. Crazy as I may be, it's too hot to wear a helmet at those temps.
Simon
2009 Kymco Xciting Ri With no mods.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()