Author Topic: Global warming in the past, must have been all those cars!  (Read 15688 times)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Global warming in the past, must have been all those cars!
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2012, 11:06:04 PM »
..yeah, imma do the same thing...

This is the position of the US gov towards the rest of the world.

We are #1

...kinda like being #1..not that it really matters who we vote for, or where we throw down the gauntlet, or how many interns answer our letters...

peace

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2012, 02:30:44 AM »
That was awesome. I couldn't have said it better myself.

God bless America, my home, sweet home.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2012, 02:50:30 AM »
..thats it, ce...

..blessed be our homelands...wherever...

..would one expect anything different??

...i'm glad i was born here...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2012, 03:32:49 AM »
..fuch th' squeegie-man...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2012, 03:45:49 AM »
..fuk th wall street brokers...

..self-styled masters of the universe....

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2012, 03:47:05 AM »
...i'm rambling....

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2012, 03:54:50 AM »
My dad was in the US Air Force so I grew up on airbases and was  overseas a lot. 2 years in Alaska, 4 years in Germany, 4 years in California, 2 years in the Azores, and then I went to high school in the Panama Canal Zone.

A lot of kids were typical Americans from Indiana or Ohio ro anywhere, but a lot of us had mothers who were German, Italian, British, Japanese, Filipino, or like my mother, French.

It was really important that we cultivated an American culture, and it was a real melting pot, not multi-cultural, we all wanted to be Americans first, and of another heritage second. It was like small town America on another planet, and we all pulled together to make our little home town wherever we were.

When we went to visit the family in France, we stood out as 100% American, we weren't French at all, and all the French kids wanted to hear what it was like in America, and was it really cool in California.

Albuquerque, New Mexico

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2012, 08:17:28 PM »
My dad was in the US Air Force so I grew up on airbases and was  overseas a lot. 2 years in Alaska, 4 years in Germany, 4 years in California, 2 years in the Azores, and then I went to high school in the Panama Canal Zone.

A lot of kids were typical Americans from Indiana or Ohio ro anywhere, but a lot of us had mothers who were German, Italian, British, Japanese, Filipino, or like my mother, French.

It was really important that we cultivated an American culture, and it was a real melting pot, not multi-cultural, we all wanted to be Americans first, and of another heritage second. It was like small town America on another planet, and we all pulled together to make our little home town wherever we were.

When we went to visit the family in France, we stood out as 100% American, we weren't French at all, and all the French kids wanted to hear what it was like in America, and was it really cool in California.

Just to expand on this post a little, I had a friend when I was a kid, he was a kid without a country. His parents were from Italy and he was first generation American. Americans saw him as itialian American and when he went to Italy his family there saw him as distinctly American. It must be tough on kids in that situation.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2012, 02:19:35 AM »
We all wanted to go to America too and become "Americans" Why, not because of culture but because of all the nice things America has to offer (at least before). Mostly material things. Culture is not a subject matter for a child or a teener or even most grown up Asian to ponder upon. It's the milk and honey that wants us to be there. My brother and lots of relatives are in America. The only reason why I don't live in America is that I don't like a fast paced life.  ;)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2012, 02:48:02 AM »
 It takes alot of backbone to get thru a day here. Really too much in my opinion.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2012, 05:17:05 AM »
It takes alot of backbone to get thru a day here. Really too much in my opinion.
When my brother started there in the 80's, he gets up early to deliver newspapers (he called this exercise), goes home and prepares for work, after work he prepares for another work, then another. Weekends he worked at an amusement park entrance tearing tickets. If he's not working, he stays home and cries. Now, he has his own Company, a French wife, and all the good things in life. He just worked hard and reaped his rewards. However, he definitely won't retire there.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2012, 03:23:31 AM »
That is what brings us to me! I can't see taking the chance. Working 80+ hour weeks to plan for the years when you are too worn down to enjoy the "reward". Who says you are going to make it that far anyway? I Respect those that do it all for later... I've just seen toooooooooooooo many burst bubbles. Maybe I'm jaded but I enjoy every day now. I ride a scoot because it is like waking up on Xmas morning to find a mini bike under the tree. I smile every day.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2012, 08:05:23 AM »
That is what brings us to me! I can't see taking the chance. Working 80+ hour weeks to plan for the years when you are too worn down to enjoy the "reward". Who says you are going to make it that far anyway? I Respect those that do it all for later... I've just seen toooooooooooooo many burst bubbles. Maybe I'm jaded but I enjoy every day now. I ride a scoot because it is like waking up on Xmas morning to find a mini bike under the tree. I smile every day.

Thats why i refuse to take out a pension plan, i saw and heard of way, way too many folk who scrimped and saved all their days to pay into plan to give a decent pension in retirement. Come retirement they get very little relative to what they paid in. I even know at least one guy who got less than he paid in to the plan after 40yrs!

My house is almost paid, i got 15-25 yrs left of work depending when i decide to retire, and i have some savings, that'll do me. We get a state pension anyway which i could live on as it would provide the basics, add 15-25yrs of savings on top and i will be just fine. State pension pays boring stuff like bills etc, my savings pays for fun stuff like holidays and scoots etc.

Over here there is no incentive to save for retirement, the more you have the less you get. If you have nothing you get the full state pension etc but if you had a private/company pension then you get less state pension so are penalised. My money will ne taken out tje bank 6-12 months before i quit and stored away safely. I wont be rich or even well off but i will be happy and i will have no finacial worries till i die at 120.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2012, 01:58:46 AM »

Same here, I go to the office on the scoot everyday and log on to Kymcoforum and others. I go home at around 6, prepare my rhum and watch TV, be with my kids, eat then sleep. Luv it!!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()