Author Topic: New buyer! Help me!  (Read 4248 times)

bigjames

• View Profile
New buyer! Help me!
« on: June 04, 2012, 07:50:59 PM »
Hello! So since gas prices are ridiculous and I am a young guy that needs a cheap way to get to work and something for weekend trips I was glad to find the Super 8! I wanted to know what is a fair price for a kymco super 8 150, I'm going to talk to some dealers and I was hoping to stay under $3000. Is there any room for negotiation on price? Also I wanted to get a top case that can fit a full face helmet but didn't want to spend the big price for a shad.  I found this on Ebay and was wondering if there would be any trouble mounting it http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-BLACK-SCOOTER-MOTORCYCLE-TOURING-TRUNK-TOP-CASE-/200747681908?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ebd7e8874&vxp=mtr. Thanks for the help/advice

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
Re: New buyer! Help me!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 08:21:58 PM »
BigJames, not sure about the case, but prices for the Kymco scooters are posted on their website. If I'm correct, but Super 8 (in the U.S.) is somewhere in the mid- 2,000's for a brand new one with a 2 year warranty. If 3 grand is your limit, you'll have plenty left over for accessories and safety gear (a good helmet, jacket, and gloves are must-haves!).
As far as I've seen, you can negotiate maybe a hundred bucks or so if they lots of inventory, or leftover inventory of one specific model, but otherwise the prices are firm. Your dealer may be different, but the two I've dealt with was not too willing to negotiate price until I wanted to buy two scoots from him; and then I spent 5 grand and was given only 300 gift card for accessories.

Good luck, and let us know what you find. This board is a gold mine of information!

Again, best of luck!

PBAS

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 04:39:10 AM »
Try looking into NOS. Leftovers from 1-2 years ago. I have been looking into Aprilia's, and found NOS to be almost 1,000.00 less than original tag price. Try not to "cheap out" on accessories. You will find they cost more in the long run.
Lets say you drill 4 holes in your scoot to mount a cheap plastic box. It breaks in two months. Now you have holes, and no box. Just saying...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 05:46:27 AM »
I bought a brand new Kymco Super 8 125cc last August 2011 for around $1,400.00 if converted to dollars. One year warranty, free Kymco jacket and helmet.

The S8 is a handsome scoot. Don't put a cheap box on it. You'll destroy the looks.....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 05:48:23 AM by Vivo »

blitzjb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 11:11:46 AM »
They list and generally sell for $2399.  I got mine just before the spring rush.  The dealer told me I got the last red one at the Kymco US warehouse in May.  At that time he was expecting a month back order.  I have just 300 miles on mine and absolutely love it.  I purchased a top case on eBay. You will have to drill 2-4 holes on the rear rack to mount it.  I would stick with the small/medium size.
2012 Kymco Super 8 150

bigjames

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 01:48:27 AM »
Thanks everybody, the dealer said they sell them at 3050 but I could probably get it for 2800 or should I try 2500?. I understand that getting a Shad case would be better but man they are price. Do they Shad cases not require drilling? I already have a helmet and gloves so I just need the scoot and a case to fit my full-face helmet. They only have one Super 8 150 also it looks so sweet!! Hopefully I'll have it by next week if everything works out financing wise.

bigjames

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 01:51:39 AM »
BigJames, not sure about the case, but prices for the Kymco scooters are posted on their website. If I'm correct, but Super 8 (in the U.S.) is somewhere in the mid- 2,000's for a brand new one with a 2 year warranty. If 3 grand is your limit, you'll have plenty left over for accessories and safety gear (a good helmet, jacket, and gloves are must-haves!).
As far as I've seen, you can negotiate maybe a hundred bucks or so if they lots of inventory, or leftover inventory of one specific model, but otherwise the prices are firm. Your dealer may be different, but the two I've dealt with was not too willing to negotiate price until I wanted to buy two scoots from him; and then I spent 5 grand and was given only 300 gift card for accessories.

Good luck, and let us know what you find. This board is a gold mine of information!

Again, best of luck!

PBAS

Yeah, the dealer didnt seem willing to go lower than 2800, he started whining about how they don't make much profit bla bla bla. What about licensing and that sorta junk how much does that cost? Estimates are appreciated. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 03:28:25 AM »
Depends on where you are. In Fl. USA the tag is 35.00 per year. I thought it was a 6 month tag but found out they go by your B'day on the expiration date here. Of course there is always 7% sales tax too.
One BAD way of getting around it all is to have the dealer add the additional costs to the amount financed. That will save you out of pocket but you will be paying interest on that too.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 04:37:49 AM »
Hey BigJames, if the dealer wants 2800 for a Super 8 150 and you live in the U.S., the price seems steep! Like zombie said, tax title registration is different depending on where you live. Taxes, too.

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 11:46:02 AM »
My scoot was brand new in April at $2400.  It was a 2010 model (blue and yellow) but there was no price change since then... the dealer also didn't charge for set up and other such nonsense.  After taxes, licensing and everything it was about $2800.  I would avoid that cheap top box.  I was in the market for a Large top box to hold 2 modular helmets (slightly larger than your standard full face) and I tried to find inexpensive.  Bottom line, cheap don't hold up.  Every review, every product, all had the same warnings... they break, they crack, they leak and they do not secure anything... by the time descent plastic was used, I was looking at $300.  It would be cheaper for you since you aren't shopping large boxes but my scoot suffers/benefits for aspirations of being a pickup.  The cheap boxes have no reflectors (its just red plastic, not reflective in anyway) or working taillights.  It costs about $70 to add taillights or improve them if they included cheap ones... its about $30 to add reflective tape behind the plastic and it takes a lot of careful measurements to cut that tape and put into place... in other words, a lot of labor. My large Givi Blade 47L box is a touch big for my scooter but it does exactly what I have needed... it holds a lot of stuff.  It came with a universal plate that "sandwiches" the back bar.  The case mounts to the plate and is easy to remove (if you have the key).  I will try to post pictures of how it mounts as I am in the process of installing an alarm system which involves me removing a lot of plastic to expose the wires... so I have to remount everything when I put it together again.  My advice, save up and buy a good case... if you need to save money, don't get the options like taillights or padding.  Shad, Givi and Coo Case were the better ones that I settled on... I ultimately bought a Givi because the shipping was free so the price difference was minimal.  Keep in mind, if you get another scooter or motorcycle, you can use the case on that only if its good enough to last that long... that universal plate is really useful for when you grow your fleet. Another option to save money, buy a quality soft case... leather still looks good on a scoot.
I will ski till Hell freezes over... then I will have no fear of death.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 08:51:14 PM »
I got my Super 8 17 months ago for $2200 OTD.  Over $3000 seems really high.  You may want to shop around.

As for accesories, you don't have to spend a fortune.  My Emgo top case was around $60 and after 17 months and 7000 miles I have had no problems with it. 

I added some reflective tape and a couple of reflective stickers.  They work real well.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

old geezer

• View Profile

bigjames

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 02:40:05 PM »
Well I sure appreciate all the information you guys are giving me. So I ended up getting a Shad Top case SH33. After shopping around prices a dealer said $3300 out the door. That's after all taxes and the other junk that comes with it. I don't know if I should have negotiated because he seemed like that was the lowest and he had the cheapest out of all the other dealers. Maybe its because I live in Washington? Anyway ill have it soon enough. Oh and I guess the scooter needs a certain mounting kit?? Thanks again for all the help!

bigjames

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 02:42:59 PM »
I got my Super 8 17 months ago for $2200 OTD.  Over $3000 seems really high.  You may want to shop around.

As for accesories, you don't have to spend a fortune.  My Emgo top case was around $60 and after 17 months and 7000 miles I have had no problems with it. 

I added some reflective tape and a couple of reflective stickers.  They work real well.

Ahhhh! I cant wait to start riding! Nice pics man

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 07:53:26 AM »
Did the scoot price of $3300 include the Shad top case?

My Givi has a universal mounting plate... which is a piece of plastic with a lot of holes so you can put the bolts wherever they fit.  Shad has a plate that is specific to the Super8's luggage rack... I assume the holes are already positioned appropriately so you just put the bolts through them without having to check for clearance.  Regardless, I am sure its easy enough to mount without drilling.  Good Luck.
I will ski till Hell freezes over... then I will have no fear of death.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()