Author Topic: Now I Have To Learn How To Ride In Very Large Group  (Read 3487 times)

Syl

• View Profile
Now I Have To Learn How To Ride In Very Large Group
« on: June 05, 2012, 12:23:02 AM »
This ride coming up will have 2-300 riders and of course they will be broken up into groups. I will be new to this type of ride as many others will be also. This is a great place to learn as always for me and would like some Tips and Pointers in doing so. It's going to be an all day venture as I placed the reason for it on another post here if anyone cared to look over. appreciate thoughts from experience...thanks

MaryK

• View Profile
Re: Now I Have To Learn How To Ride In Very Large Group
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 01:00:51 AM »
The group should no larger than 6 bikes according to MSF.
Many rides like to make the riders bunch up really close and that is dangerous.
So, keep your 2 to 3 second spacing back from the scooter in front of you.

We don't do large rides because:
1.  They are dangerous
2.  They are noisey... just imagine the bike in front of you having no muffler and backfiring when slowing down!
3. The stress level far exceeds the pleasure... we say that we will meet them at the terminus of the ride.

If you must do a large ride, get a good night's rest and pay attention to all of the riders areound you.

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 03:50:06 AM »
I agree 100% w/ MaryK. Stay well clear. Maybe pick out a few of the novice riders, and ask some of the experienced riders to tail you. That way at fill ups the experienced guys can pass on a few tips from what they see.
If that doesn't work... Don't shower for a week prior.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 03:55:13 AM »
When we ride in a group, we plan our route and destination. This way you don't have to tail anybody. It's like riding alone in heavy traffic because you know the route and destination and not worried to be left behind. You can concentrate on your riding more.  ;)

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 01:54:48 PM »
Syl,

Not bad advice from anyone here. I do group rides. From 10-45bikes sometimes.

The safest place to be is all the way in the back. Request to sweep and act like you've done it before.

Why? You can see everyone in front of you and nobody can see you. So you could lag behinf and give yourself as much space as possible. Change lanes as you see fit. Slow down when you see twisties and hit the throttle and take em like a champ.
And.. if anyone goes down or has problems, you get to be a helper.

Being anywhere else except the front is too soldier like and constricted.

Request to sweep, but act like youce done it before.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
I agree that sweep is the best position, but remember that it comes with responsibility.

A cell phone is necessary and tools as well as Med Tech training is good to have.

So, don't be the sweep guy unless you have experience and training, but you can be just in front of him!

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 09:02:50 PM »
Yes, ride in the back until you get used to it. Also never ride side by side, stagger the possition, one rider to the right, and then the fellow behind to the left side with a safe distance between you and the rider ahead of you. :-*

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 11:23:03 PM »
See what I mean.....this is a great place to get advice etc. Thanks everyone for the input, I am hearing and going to act as told. What bothers my mind mostly is that there will be 2-300 bikers. I was going to run my Go-Pro Cam. but at this point I feel I am going to concentrate mostly on all the advice. I'm glad I got the GIVI Box on the back but couldn't get the light kit added yet. Also I have the GIVI Rack for the top of the box but in order to fasten it the liner of the box has to be taken out and if I do so, I may as well do the light kit at the same time. I ran into (met) a guy with a 400 Suzuki Burgman who will be making this run also. He has more experience so I am going to lean on him a bit. I'm anxious to get into this day 10th and as I mentioned before...thanks for all the advice. I certainly will post the experience and will snap a few shots when feasible and not interfering with my mind set to safety etc.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 11:32:03 PM »
I feel a problem with being in the back.....as you know, people want to pass all the time and if they get P.O'd who they going to take it out on? May be a dumb question but I have driven many miles in my life time for the news and the bus.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 01:43:09 AM »
Here, daily riding is like riding in a group. Lots of motorcycles here and I already got used to it. Rush hour has the most number of bikes on the road.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 03:37:16 AM »
I feel a problem with being in the back.....as you know, people want to pass all the time and if they get P.O'd who they going to take it out on? May be a dumb question but I have driven many miles in my life time for the news and the bus.

Get a blow up doll to ride "bitch" Maybe put a fake fur coat on her. Most people will be so amused they will forget about the dumb scooter blocking their way.  Maybe an honor child bumper sticker too.
http://www.bumperart.com/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=2004012090&productid=1410
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 03:46:16 AM »
Get a blow up doll to ride "bitch" Maybe put a fake fur coat on her. Most people will be so amused they will forget about the dumb scooter blocking their way.  Maybe an honor child bumper sticker too.
http://www.bumperart.com/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=2004012090&productid=1410

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 03:47:53 AM »
Just like that!

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 06:37:42 AM »
Yes, ride in the back until you get used to it. Also never ride side by side, stagger the possition, one rider to the right, and then the fellow behind to the left side with a safe distance between you and the rider ahead of you. :-*

Side by side only in front or the back, like the picture above, and when you are competant with your motorcycle.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:16:02 PM by htcneil2 »

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 12:31:46 PM »
Zombie, tell us why you know so much about blow up dolls? Do you have direct experiance?  ;) :D :) ;D :o :P ::) :-*

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()