Author Topic: new project 2003 people 50, back on the board!!!  (Read 5662 times)

soop703

• View Profile
new project 2003 people 50, back on the board!!!
« on: June 05, 2012, 07:48:11 PM »
Hope everyone on this forum is doing good, I just bought another people 50 yesterday for 300.00. It's running, but needs a little bit of cosmetic work.

Needs new key lock, needs new mirrors, the speedometer dosen't work either and the seat could be replaced or reupholstered

all in all im happy, curious if there's anyway to tell the milage and if that really holds any weight in the reliablity? i'm just trying to ensure I bought a scooter that has some life in it, it's almost 10 years, but my 2002 kymco people 50 runs like a beast!!!

soop703

• View Profile
Re: new project 2003 people 50, back on the board!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 01:12:07 AM »
just reupholstered the seat with leopard print duck tape  8)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 06:29:59 AM »
A compression test will tell you more than anything else. You should have 120psi Minimum. 140-150 is good shape. The floor boards, and grips will tell alot about actual riding time too. Compare them to yours.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

soop703

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 07:13:52 PM »
Thanks for the response zombie!!! I was thinking of either taking it to my local scooter shop and paying 125.00 for a tune up, or possibly doing the work myself with this forums help

obz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 12:46:23 AM »
Definately do it yourself.  I'm a computer programmer and somehow I managed to rebuild my engine (which says a lot).  These guys are pretty easy to work on.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 02:34:34 AM »
..like them peoples..i have a cpl of them myself!...

:o
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 04:59:51 AM »
Keep it in house Bro! You will be real glad you did. You really have to Know how they work/what each piece does to really make them last.
Most Shop repairs wind up in the back yard after the first repair bill. (fool me once)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

soop703

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 02:15:11 AM »
You guys have convinced me to do it myself, i've taken the front apart so far and plan on repainting the body and tuning it. What tools do you guys suggest? i'm a complete noob, all i own is a ratchet set and some basic tools

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 02:27:34 AM »
..some 3/8" drive metric sockets and ratchet..a cpl or four 8-10" screwdrivers, phillips and straight..a set of off-set box-end metric wrenches from 8mm-17 is handy..

..i gotta 1/2" drive 19.2 volt craftsman cordless impact wrench that's th' bomb!!..

....theere's a few specialty tools that are nice to have when you get into removing drive faces and clutches and such, but they aren't  "required", if you can be a bit resourceful..lol....

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 06:06:42 AM »
1/4" drive metric socket set too. Stubby philips driver. Needle nose pliers. Vise grips. test light or Multi Meter
For a hundred bucks you can get it all at Harbor freight. (both slingers, and my list) They are not the best quality but they will do everything on your scooter.

soop703

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 07:22:03 PM »
appreciate the advice fellows, this project will be afternoon hobby for the month of june, take some pics soon with my progress.

soop703

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 04:22:23 PM »
So i've started to de assemble the front a bit, i'm installing a new lock set today, the speedometer does not work for some reason?? Any suggestions on that repair??

Would home depot be a good cheap place to get the tools needed to do this restoration??

Also I looked at the handles, there is much much more wear than my current red people. This people I bought for 300.00 definitely has a considerable bit of wear. Will I still be able to make this a economical project?? So far i'm in 350 with the new mirrors and lock set purchased, it runs decent, but i haven't the slightest clue what could help have this baby running better, I'm a perfectionist and I've been trying to clean all the rust off the nuts etc and there is a hairline crack on the side panel right under the seat  ???

appreciate all the help!!!!

some pics

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 11:13:58 PM »
..just use caution when assembling the plastics back in place...

..don't over-torque the fasteners...

..be mindful of the molded plastic clips down front, underneath...

..theres also plastic tabs in the headlight tupperware...dont snap those...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:16:37 PM by wordslinger »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 01:39:03 AM »
Even if you went mildly nuts, and spent 400.00 fixing Everything the bike is still worth 800.00. I think it's a fair investment in saving money down the road.

soop703

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 01:25:26 PM »
What should I begin with to start tuning it and ensuring I get some life and is safe?

complete noob,

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()