Author Topic: please help me with a decision  (Read 2688 times)

jld621

• View Profile
please help me with a decision
« on: April 27, 2009, 02:53:14 PM »
Hello, I am new here.  I joined to ask you if anyone can compare the xciting500 to the burgman 650.  I have ridden a 650 burgman, but cant test ride the 500.  Is it as smooth?
I have been debating for a while now on what to get. I have a 1997 Kawasaki Concours now so I dont think the weight will be an issue.  I m sure it will have enough power, but my main concerns are how smooth it runs and how it rides and how it handels on twisty roads. Any help would be appreciated.
there was someone on here from Louisville ky that was purchasing a 500 from Station Park. Thats where I would be getting one from also. If you are on here, how do you like the scooter and are you still pleased with the dealer?
My son had a Grand Vista and I know that Kymco has great quality. Help Please.

bongoman

• View Profile
Re: please help me with a decision
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 06:27:48 PM »
I have not ridden the 650; when I realized there was more value for the money, I went with the XC500. I also fell in love with it at first sight & ride.

My '07 is about 17 months old with nearly 20k miles, most of them road. I bought it new and have been all over central Texas as well as a trip from San Antonio to New Orleans and back for a total of some 1400 miles in four days. Mine rode great. Whether on the road or in the city, I like my XC500.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:00:07 PM »
You will sit a little bit higher on the Xciting, have a little more foot space - and miss the power of the Burgman 650. Both are not optimized for twisty roads, the Tmax would perform better. But all of them ride very stable.
The Burgman stores more fuel than the Xciting at about the same consumption. It has the far superior engine and transmission.

Is the power (or the handling of the Tmax) worth the money?
There are few rational arguments for an expensive bike, because the gain on a trip (observing traffic laws) ist just a few minutes.
Only you can decide for yourself: How much to pay for fun.

I went with the Xciting, because I could afford him much more easily. (Still having the option to upgrade some time.)

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 09:48:58 PM »
I have a friend with a Burgman 650 and put a few test miles on it before I bought the X500.  More power, bit lower seat...  I do not think it was smoother, as a matter of fact I felt it had bit more vibration under load and vibration seemed right under my feet.  For the price difference I felt the X500 was a better value and I have not been disappointed.  Would have liked a bit larger fuel tank, but I guess you can't have everything.
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

Rozz

• Picture taken on Mount Smokey, Cape Breton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 10:38:45 PM »
Oh the debate!  Just went through all of this myself.  I wanted a Burgman 650 until I sat on one and found it a little intimidating as I was moving up from a 250.
Then I saw the 500 Xciting.  Loved the sporty look, thought it was balanced perfectly.  My dealer let me test drive it.  In fact, he insisted that I test drive as he wanted to be sure I was happy with it.  My husband took it out for a spin and ran it up to 160 kms hr (about 105 mph).  He said it was very stable at that speed.  I doubt I will ever do the same.
I also considered the SilverWing and the T-Max.  Might have gone for the T-max but the price differential here is 4000.00 Cdn. + for all the maxi scoots.  There wasn't enough to be gained from the competition to make me feel like spending the extra bucks.
So I bought the Xciting.  I've already been caught in a hail storm with it and did just fine.
Will I love it forever?  Probably not.  But I'm certainly enjoying it for now. 
It gets lots of attention.  I have the white and black one and I'm loving it more each time I ride.
I got lots of good info from the forum guys, particularly Wingin'Man who helped me a lot with the decision.
Rozz
2008 Xciting 500ri (Hers)
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900cc (His)

jld621

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 01:32:54 PM »
Thanks for your responses.  Winginman, do you still recommend station park honda in Louisville?
As I have been reading I have some other questions.  If  this is right? The 500 is getting about 45-50 mpg and will top end at about 95mph.  What is the top end of the 250 and its gas mileage?  I am not sure that a 250 would do.  I would possibly be taking it on a 1500-2000 mile tour each year. I would sometime ride two up but mostly single. I hate trying to make decisions!!!!!!
My Concours get about 42-48 mpg the way I ride it.  It is just getting too heavy for an old man to lug about.

I would like to get close to 50mpg and more would be great. I am just not sure the 250 would satisfy me. .

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 04:20:19 PM »
I would recommend Station Park in Louisville to any of my friends.  They are competitive in price and treat you good.  I have done business with most of the dealers in the Louisville area over the years and these folks are tops.

Looks like my X500 is settling down to about 45 MPG city driving with the way I drive it.  It does a bit better on the highway, but then I have the tall Givi windshield and tend to ride a bit fast out on the open road.  I am sure that will affect the mileage as well.  Best MPG was during break in when I kept it below half throttle and piddled around at 35 MPH and took off gently from stops, MPG jumped up to 55 or better, but that was no fun. This seems to be pretty normal.  Physically the X250 and X500 look about the same size, real difference seems to be the engine and drive train. Station Park has a 250 sitting right next to a 500 and you have to look close to tell the difference.

I love the performance of the X500, if you are used to the bigger bike the X500 will fit the bill.  It is well balanced and seems a lot lighter than it really is. 
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

jld621

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 12:32:45 PM »
Well, I went to station park last Sat. and yesterday I called them about a x500.  They offered a deal that is almost too good to pass on. So If everything goes through, I will be  be on a red x500ri soon. I hope I am making the right decision. I have wanted a maxi for a good while now, but bought the concours  instead ( 4 years ago) . I always had a lust for the burgman 650 but they are so expensive.
I believe that this scooter ( kymco) can do all that the burger can do . The x500 gets really good reviews from Europe and South Africa, but not so good in the US. Why??? Any way, it also seems to be loved by those who own them.  Like I said before, my son had a GV 250 and it fact sold Kymco for a couple of years so I know their quality is good.  I guess I am hoping some says, " great decision, you wont be sorry".  I hate making decisions. 
If I get it I will post my feelings later. This is a great forum. Thanks everyone.

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 01:19:59 PM »
Here's one guy who thinks you made the right decision for yourself. The X500 offers more value for the $, and it will run with the Burgman.

And maintenance . . . X500 is slightly less to maintain

The more I ride my X500 the more I like it. And now mine is way customized for my style so . . . I went from a motorcycle - 650 & up - to the X500 and was pleasantly surprised that this big ole thumper runs with the big twins. Unless you're riding 2up, then the extra power comes in handy.

Like any scooter or m.c. it has its own quirks.

I admit my prejudices, I like the style and value of the X500.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()