Author Topic: video of S9 running badly  (Read 7389 times)

stljimmy

• View Profile
Re: video of S9 running badly
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 09:10:17 AM »
I think you are on the right track zombie.  I wonder if somehow I changed the float height pulling off the bowl? Does anybody know what the float height should be set at?
Current toys include 08 Super 9, 78 Columbia Commuter, 99 Yamaha Blaster, 82 Yamaha YZ490, 04 SRT-4, 94 F150, and a quick John Deere 70

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 03:59:54 AM »
I have been setting floats to inverted level for ever as a base line guide. You have to keep the spring loaded pin in mind... That has to be extended during adjustment. You may have an issue with your auto choke. If it's not connected, or malfunctioning that would do it. The tip should move at least 4mm when the key is on so I would check that too
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

stljimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 02:49:24 AM »
ok, so the jet I took out was around a 102.  It was mid 90s before I went up to 102ish. I've been from that all the way down to 86.  It almost seems like it is something besides the carb. To try to solve the issue I first put in an aftermarket CDI, which I thought helped.  It would run alright for a couple of minutes then struggle to get up a hill from a dead stop.  Then I started playing with the jets and still no improvement.  Next I put the red 30% clutch springs because I thought the problem was the motor wasn't making any power in the low rpm and bogged it to a rich condition. (It runs worse the longer it is running). This really didnt help either. Today it would barely start and I went from the 86 to the 94 main. Changed the plug also and I got the compression tester loan a tool from autozone.  I did a compression test and it was 135psi.  I hooked up the air compressor at 5 or 6psi and did a pressure test (spark plug hole)sprayed a lot of soapy water around the base, head and intake gasket (made sure it was BDC). I made a plug for the exhaust and it leaked a little, but no where else and no bubbling.  No air came out of the carb and it wasnt plugged up or anything....I just left it on.  My dilema now is take it to a shop and have them do a proper vacuum and pressure test and check the scooter out or should I gamble on an aftermarket carb? Is it likely to blow a base/head/intake gasket with  6xx km?
Current toys include 08 Super 9, 78 Columbia Commuter, 99 Yamaha Blaster, 82 Yamaha YZ490, 04 SRT-4, 94 F150, and a quick John Deere 70

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 03:45:50 AM »
Gaskets rarely fail. It could be your stator. They will often fail as they get hotter, and run fine for a short while cold. A new carb never hurts either. ;)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

stljimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 03:57:35 AM »
The spark did look weak to me today when I held the plug against the block, it defineatly has spark though.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 04:02:33 AM »
Try doing a resistance check on the stator. Test it cold first then ride/run it till it fails, and re test.

stljimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 06:42:56 PM »
So I took it to Carver's scooter shop in St. Louis.  They did a compression test and came up with 90psi and I got 135psi.  They also did a leak down and there was no leaks.  A few other tests for spark and fuel and their conclusion is the top end.  Josh from the scooter garage helped me over the phone(very generous with his time). I just pulled the head and jug and took some pics.  It looks in decent shape to me but I am going to at least put a new set of rings on and hone it while it is off.  How does it look to you guys? Just rings, piston and rings?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 09:17:33 PM »
...woww...they look decent to me...

..rings and a lil honing, i'd say...and clean the top of the piston...

..might even polish it smooth as you can..
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 05:23:04 AM »
You can still see the cross hatching... Is the top ring stuck? What is the ring end gap? What is the piston clearance?

stljimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 01:31:43 AM »
After a top end, cdi, jetting, etc it finally runs right ;D The new carb did the trick.  I wonder what went wrong with the other carb? There is still a little fine tuning to do on the Mallossi 19mm, but I am going to hold off til winter and enjoy the scoot the rest of the summer. I almost gave up on it, but thanks to everybodys help on here I stuck with it and got it going. Thanks to all for the input :)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 02:54:16 AM »
Cool beans...

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 03:11:39 AM »
What was the "other" carb? Stock?
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

stljimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 04:16:04 AM »
What was the "other" carb? Stock?
It was a stock carb with a different main jet. I got the jetting dialed in and it ran good for a few months until the end of last summer when it started runnning badly, then this year it just got progressively worse to the point where it would only start with starting fluid. I cleaned it about 5 times, bought a jet kit, adjusted the float, washered the needle all this year after the problem. Maybe a leaking gasket or a bad seal somewhere?

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 04:23:21 AM »
I see

IMO I hate the stock carbs. I mean, I know Keihin carbs aren't bad carbs. I'd just have trouble starting all the time and it was nearly impossible to find jets for it. I'd have trouble starting mine if it sat for a week. Now I never have trouble.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2012, 09:53:15 PM »
I know Keihin carbs aren't bad carbs. I'd just have trouble starting all the time and it was nearly impossible to find jets for it.

..cant adjust the needle without some redneck mods either...

:-\
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()