Author Topic: Slippery Floorboard?  (Read 6466 times)

DaveABQ

• View Profile
Slippery Floorboard?
« on: June 06, 2012, 06:47:57 AM »
I hate the slippery floorboard, if I wanted to stand up while riding to stretch out, i'm worried about slipping.

So my question, anyone use anything to make it less slippery?  I have a role of skateboard tape, can cut out patterns to put on the floor and the smaller forward parts where i put my feet sometimes.  I can clean the floorboard with isopropyl alcohol and then stick down the skateboard tape....anyone else done this?

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Slippery Floorboard?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 06:59:10 AM »
Why do you want to stand up while riding? Stop and stretch..

Anyway, If you really want to, wear boat shoes or all terrain running shoes.  They stick!

DaveABQ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 03:59:41 PM »
i want to stretch for a reason, I have MS, one of the reasons I have a scooter is because it has an open center, I can't lift my right leg anymore, I have no feeling in my right hand, most of my arm and shoulder, my right leg shocks every 10 seconds and last 4 seconds long 24 hours a day, I need to stretch.

I have boat shoes, lived in Florida for 8 years, they are still too slippery, i went out on boats all the time fishing and scuba diving, on a scooter I want a shoe that covers my ankles in case of a crash. 

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 01:43:33 AM »
How about these?

Grip tapes for ladders / stairs...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 06:25:58 AM »
i want to stretch for a reason, I have MS, one of the reasons I have a scooter is because it has an open center, I can't lift my right leg anymore, I have no feeling in my right hand, most of my arm and shoulder, my right leg shocks every 10 seconds and last 4 seconds long 24 hours a day, I need to stretch.

I have boat shoes, lived in Florida for 8 years, they are still too slippery, i went out on boats all the time fishing and scuba diving, on a scooter I want a shoe that covers my ankles in case of a crash. 

Are you seriously kidding me. You actually want to find a way to stand up while driving?
Bro... That will do more harm than the MS for SURE. If I saw you do it I PROMISE you I'd put a broom in your spokes.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 01:56:19 PM »
Agree with Zombie -- on the stretching part, just not the spokes ; ) . I've never had problems with my floorboards slipping, save when i clean them. It may come down to the types of soles on your shoes. I would suggest pulling over when convenient and safe for a good stretch.

All it would take is a good bump, or unseen road hazard when you are standing to stretch and you have a crash.

-Wolf

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 05:16:07 PM »
One of my best friends has a version of MS and has the same problem, so I understand the original post by Dave.  Traction and balance are a constant problem with him and the kind of surface he's on really affects whether he walks or hits the floor.

I can see where the shiny plastic floorboards could be a problem with some sufferers.

Dave, I hope you find a solution that works for you!

Wil B.
Broadview, IL

'10 Kymco Yager 200gt
Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 12:21:39 AM »
My mother died with MS so I do empathize. I just got Teeeedddddd off thinking he's gonna kill someone.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 01:44:28 AM »
Or get a trike...

DaveABQ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 07:04:04 AM »
come one guys, get real here, when i say stand, it don't mean stand up with my hands off the bars, you really can't stand up on the yager, which i'm looking to do is stretch, lift my butt off of the seat, i feel with the slippery floorboards its hard to even reposition your butt,,,, thats what i'm looking to do, it is next to impossible to stand up

believe me my riding experience is probably far beyond most of you, i roadraced motorcycles, etc...been riding for 35 years....my MS made me sell my GSXR1000 and KTM 690 SMC supermoto....but i can still ride the scooter, but i need to stretch, if you know my pain by sitting in one position too long, you would understand...i need to shift and stretch

me, front row, all the way to the right as you look at the video, this is at Daytona, Amateur National Championships:

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 07:26:06 AM »
I hate the slippery floorboard, if I wanted to stand up while riding to stretch out, i'm worried about slipping.

Dave, forgive us. You're riding experience may be a lot greater than all of us, but speaking for myself, I can perfectly read and understand the simple English language said above... very difficult to read between the lines...

Btw, nice video...

I hope my suggestions helped.  The tape, running shoes, or the DUCATI DESMO SCOOTER SHOES

DaveABQ

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 02:27:54 PM »
Vivo, thanks, i'm going to check out those shoes, however I do like wearing something that goes over my ankles, one of the problems is I wear AFO's, (Ankle Foot Orthotic), they are to keep my legs from giving out while standing, so now you understand why I can't really stand while riding, but I need to stretch as much as possible for any distance.  One of the problems is the loss of power and motor funciton in my right side, I pull my right hand off of the throttle to shake it to get the pain out of it, and when I had motorcycles it was hard to operate the clutch and throttle at the same time, so thats why I now have a scooter, its automatic.

Thanks for the commnets Wil, most people don't understand the nature of the beast, MS.  Its hard each day, I'm still vertical and as I tell my friends, I can still wipe my ass, although some days it isn't easy.  
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 02:31:11 PM by DaveABQ »

Wiz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 03:30:24 PM »
If you want some shoes that cover your ankles how about these?
http://www.scooters-only.com/shoes-52/

Or you could use these overshoes with your current shoes
http://www.amazon.com/SR-Max-Resistant-Unisex-Overshoe/dp/B005UZDXFO/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1339169559&sr=8-18

Note: I do not own and have never used these shoes so I don't know if they are any good.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 03:36:42 PM by Wiz »
Current Ride: Gold 2012 People GTI 300.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 03:55:28 PM »
Sorry for the misunderstanding, Dave. I took stretch and stand in the literal sense. I've lifted off the seat if I can't avoid a big bump, or pot hole, and yeah sometimes to stretch and get some blood flow back there, but never had a problem with the floorboards. Hopefully a good shoe, or grip tape will help out

-Wolf

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 08:08:20 PM »
Probably preaching to the choir on this, but don't nobody use Armor All on the floorboards. Then they are REAL slippery! I had a friend at KU who had MS, had the body and leg braces and had a hell of a time walking any distance. He was FORMIDABLE in an MGA MarkII twin-cam sports car on the gymkhana. The guy was darn near impossible to beat in ANYTHING proving it is the driver more than the car. He would not give up for anything and was a true inspiration to all of us. So good on ya for scootin'! Somebody on here will have an idea that is practical for a good non-skid surface. You will probably have to try lots to find what works. I gotta lift my but up off the seat periodically to keep the circulation going and it is tough and I don't have MS.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()