Author Topic: Legal Adult Age  (Read 5878 times)

Vivo

• View Profile
Legal Adult Age
« on: June 06, 2012, 08:28:21 AM »
Who started this? Why is the legal age 18? Other countries followed the "standard" without even knowing why or if it is applicable to them. Why not 17? or 19?

ts1

• View Profile
Re: Legal Adult Age
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
Depends on the country. Some have (or at least had) 21.

The reason for Germany to lower from 21 to 18 was:
The best age to harvest cannon fudder. Physical strong, influenceable, dutiful.
Prior puberty, afterwards expensive education (university).
And this people shouldn't officially be child soldiers.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 09:03:40 AM by ts1 »

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 09:10:15 AM »
Depends on the country. Some have (or at least had) 21.

The reason for Germany to lower from 21 to 18 was:
The best age to harvest cannon fudder. Physical strong, influenceable, dutiful.
Prior puberty, afterwards expensive education (university).
And this people shouldn't officially be child soldiers.

Yes, I can understand the lowering, but why 18? What's with the age 18? What about 19?

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 09:20:01 AM »
Yes, I can understand the lowering, but why 18? What's with the age 18? What about 19?

In Scotland at 16 you are classed as an adult, 16yr olds will be treated as adults in the courts.

Funny thing is you can join the Army at 16, have sex at 16, and even marry legally at 16, you cannot however buy cigarettes or alcohol ot vote in elections till 18 ??? Also you can ride a 50cc moped at 16 but cannot drive a car or bigger cc bike till 17 ??? Makes no sense ??? If i can be treated as an adult in court at 16 then i must be entitled to ALL adult privillages at 16.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 09:29:28 AM »
Young criminals here carry a copy of their birth certificates when committing crimes. When caught by the police, they just show proof of their age and the cops turn them over to the social worker for counseling. Something is definitely not right here. A 16 year old gun for hire will be counseled and not even spanked!!!

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 07:11:53 PM »
In the US the age varies as stated above. Many times a crime with be punnishable under "adult" laws depending on the nature of the crime and criminals background.

18 for the military as they want to get you young  and dumb, by 25 you know how to say "NO".

Vote @ 18 drink @ 21. As a kid I didn't understand the rules but as an adult I see the logic behind it.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 12:25:05 AM »
If my daughter were to join the Services... Ship over seas to fight... You bet your ass I would be arrested for taking her out for a drink before she left.
So your kids can Kill/Die but not have a beer. WTF?????????????????
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 01:35:49 AM »
If my daughter were to join the Services... Ship over seas to fight... You bet your ass I would be arrested for taking her out for a drink before she left.
So your kids can Kill/Die but not have a beer. WTF?????????????????

Bad logic!  This is a good example of how politicians think...

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 02:04:55 AM »
Illegal to buy alcohol under 21?

Understandable

Illegal to buy alcohol for minors?

Understandable

Illegal to drink alcohol under 21?

Give me a break!
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 05:05:38 AM »
I kinda think you should be "emancipated" after college. 21ish. Mommy/Daddy are most likely still supporting you, and I really don't know of many kids that have a good idea about life at 18. I SURE didn't. I thought I would die in my neighborhood. I never thought all this was out there.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 06:07:28 PM »
I cannot remember any other state where drinking alcohol is illegal until 21 except USA.
Usually it's 18.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 07:32:01 PM »
I cannot remember any other state where drinking alcohol is illegal until 21 except USA.
Usually it's 18.

It use to be 18, I got in under the belt and I think that Jan. it went up to 21. That would have been 1980 when it kicked in. I'm not a drinker, but I tried it our as a passing of rights so to speak.

It does save lives as many 18,19,20 yr olds don't know how to drink responsibly or like an adult should. But If I can die for my country and be put in prison for a crime I should be able to have a beer or wine when ever the hell I want.

Many places the children have wine with dinner instead of milk, water, soda or juice.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
Many adults here are just as bad with alcohol as teenagers. I rarely drink much these days either, you cant ride or drive after a drink anyway.

Also like you say, in Europe many kids have a glass of wine at meals with no problem. Actually it probably makes them more responsible drinkers later in life since they see it as an enjoyment to accompany food or relax not a sunstance used to get off your face on.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 11:28:04 PM »
Many adults here are just as bad with alcohol as teenagers. I rarely drink much these days either, you cant ride or drive after a drink anyway.

Also like you say, in Europe many kids have a glass of wine at meals with no problem. Actually it probably makes them more responsible drinkers later in life since they see it as an enjoyment to accompany food or relax not a sunstance used to get off your face on.

In my Irish/US family we had those little white clay pipes, and wooden boxes of tobacco. Uncle Charlie would sit out back with the kids after dinner, and we all had our own pipe, and glass of hootch. I remember how grown I felt at 7. Still smoking at 53.
Some thing are not as innocent as one would think.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 01:28:52 AM »
Here, the legal age is also 18.

You cannot buy alcohol and tobacco but you can drink and smoke.

But you can buy alcohol and tobacco from a corner store and not in big supermarkets or liquor stores.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()