Author Topic: Getting oil off your wheels  (Read 2087 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Getting oil off your wheels
« on: June 06, 2012, 10:13:02 PM »
I was driving in my car today (lucky me) when I stopped at a red light, when it turned green I and the guy next to me tried to move forward but were a no go. Both our drive wheels spun almost no matter how much gas we gave it. My front drive slid slightly sideways (in the front end) and his back end slipped out coming close to my car.

No damage was done as we never connected and I managed to pull away from the light real slow, just ahead of the other guy.

My question is, if I were on my scoot, what would be the best way to rid myself of the oil/grease that got on my tires? Near by the intersection is an area of dirt I was thinking that would be the best place or a grassy area, what do you all say? And how best to not fall on my arse if this should ever occur?

The culpret turns out to have been a garbage truck.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Re: Getting oil off your wheels
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 10:55:44 PM »
Wow no replies on how to get oil/grease off my tires, I guess I'm wihed into having a smash up! :D

Maybe I can keep a 2 oz can of degreaser in my scoot for the rare occasion,  spray it on and wipe it off.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 11:50:59 PM »
Like you said... I would try to find some loose dirt/sand to ride on. Grass/oil may be a recipe for a fall.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

MikeKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 12:08:37 AM »
^  Yup.  You had the right idea.  WD-40 is supposed to not break down tire rubber, so I've read, but why chance it?  Dirt is plentiful, ubiquitous, has no environmental impact, (no additional impact, apart from the grease that someone already poured on the road, and the gas you gotta burn to ride in it.) and it's free.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 06:36:05 AM »
And how best to not fall on my arse if this should ever occur?

There's no guarantee here.  There's just zero traction. My best opinion is not to panic and not to give any gas on throttle. This is where protective gear would be most useful. Falling on your arse would be the best thing to happen. Better than crashing....

Similar thing happened here but with several gallons of margarine that got spilled from a delivery truck.
Several cars and bikes were damaged. No injuries though.

Some degreasers contain diesel fuel. Use the foaming type.  You can also use a can of electronic contact cleaner.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 06:38:00 AM by Vivo »

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 07:17:20 PM »
Thanks guys, for a minute there I thought there was a hit placed on me!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 01:55:32 AM »
Thanks guys, for a minute there I thought there was a hit placed on me!

Hmmm....   ::)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 02:49:39 AM »
006 got the contract last week...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 04:00:19 AM »
006 got the contract last week...

nope, it was them...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 03:32:09 AM »
They call their HQ the "Mini Pad."

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()