Author Topic: Me and a friend with a Burgman  (Read 3341 times)

Syl

• View Profile
Me and a friend with a Burgman
« on: June 09, 2012, 09:11:01 PM »
A friend of mine has a 2009, 400 Burgman, Silver, ABS. We went for a 50 mile ride, me with my Xciting 500 and his 400 Burgman. Have to admit, the Burgman even though a 2009 is a nice looking/riding unit. He had it for approximately 1 year buying it used at 4,000 something. I understand from what he told me that a new one, 400 would run around 7,500 or so. He further said they don't make a 500 but go to a 600 or 650 costing up to 11 something. Mine new was 6,200 and I'm very happy with it. My 500 would cost a bit more if it had ABS. He added that he wouldn't own anything without the ABS. Well, I am not familiar with the ABS on a scooter but I imagine someone on here is familiar with them.

sissy mary

• View Profile
Re: Me and a friend with a Burgman
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 01:23:15 AM »
I hate ABS and would not have it on a bike. Worst invention ever for a car. When it snows/ice I can not stop. I slide through red lights and stop signs. Without ABS I can pump the brakes, control the bike or car, and come to a stop. :-*

gregspeople250

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 02:41:55 AM »
Under NEARLY ALL conditions, good quality ABS will outstop/control an automobile better than any human.  No human has the ability to operate four individual brakes simultaneously and keep the tire contact patch near its maximum adhesion while also keeping the car stable. 
Honda Elite 80 - SOLD
Yamaha Vino 125 - SOLD
Kymco People 250 - SOLD
Kymco Like 200i - SOLD
Vespa 250 GTS - SOLD
Piaggio BV350 - FUN! - SOLD
Buddy 170i - FUN! - SOLD
Honda Silverwing - SOLD
Yamaha TMAX - OUTSTANDING! - SOLD
Honda SH150 - SOLD
Yamaha SMAX - SOLD
Kymco AK550

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 08:36:56 AM »
Under NEARLY ALL conditions, good quality ABS will outstop/control an automobile better than any human.  No human has the ability to operate four individual brakes simultaneously and keep the tire contact patch near its maximum adhesion while also keeping the car stable. 

+1

Anyone who's having problems with the ABS is either fighting with the system or can drive/ride anyways.

I've had it on my 2007 Kawasaki and said I'll never buy a motorcycle without one again.

It saved my ass at least 3-4 times in situations where not even Valentino Rossi would have brought the bike
to a safe and controlled stop.. so I got my Downtonw 300 with ABS too.

Few more years, and it'll be illegal to ride a bike without ABS.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 10:35:17 AM »
I have a big heavy Lincoln with ABS and traction control. Hate it. You take off, 1 wheel spins and u have no (real) control of car as it is trying to match speed of both front wheels. How do you steer when the wheels are at incorrect speed for going around corner? There is a hill with a traffic light at the bottom of it near where I live, if it is slippery, even at 10 MPH I roll through the light every time because my wheels will not stop turning. My wife's lite little KIA comes to a perfect stop every time. If it starts to slide, u can pump the breaks, get it under control and stop. The ABS works perfectly on my Lincoln, but it's going to get me killed. I guess we can agree to dis-agree. I understand the principle behind ABS and such, but I will never have a car with it again. And the cost of fixing the 2 systems when something go's wrong! That's another subject. I have ridden bikes with ABS, and if you have to nail the breaks in a curve, it may keep u from going down, but nothing stops u faster in a straight line stop like locking up both wheels. U stop faster. That has saved my butt many times. If I had had ABS, I would have rolled right into the car/truck. I ride at the speed limit, and don't push the limits of my bike or my skill. If I were ricky racer maybe I would have a diff view. I just don't like it. I'm not dis-agreeing with anyone. And I don't mean to be an a-ss about this. But I have not had good experiances with ABS and traction control. :) :-* 

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 10:43:26 AM »
That's a Lincoln problem, not an ABS problem.
We have cars with something called "handling" built in here in EU.

Disable the ABS and try it then.
It'll be even worse.

Good luck finding a new car without ABS too.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 06:11:56 AM »
I don't like ABS for the single reason that it's very very very expensive to fix.  ;) Anyway, our road conditions here don't really require ABS.

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 12:34:28 PM »
I had the green light.

The lady in the Lexus didn't.

Had to agressively apply the brakes on my 500 w/abs.

I'm still here this morning..... :)

To each their own but it sure sold me yesterday.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 01:30:55 PM »
The Lincoln ABS & traction control works perfectly, but I do not like it with snow over ice. In this condition I have better control than the ABS does. This way I can break and steer, break and steer, and avoid or go around someone. So thats the last I'm saying on this subject. But as ("it's a Lincoln problem") My continental takes curves like it's on rails, does not bank and lean, rides like it's on air, has almost 300 HP, and is big and safe. You can get parts anywhere at low prices, get it serviced anywhere, and I get around 30 MPG on the freeway! Yes we have your Beemers/Audi's and such here to! Big deal! Way over priced for what you get, (as are Lincoln's and Cadies). Euro cars are all to small, high priced, ride ruff as in the (Euro tuned) joke. You can barley squeeze 4 people in most of them, and a good quality Japper or American car at half the price is just as good. And we don't have to run them to the dealer and pay $1,500 for a break job either! I have a friend who has a Jag. Biggest piece of crap made today. I would not own one. Breaks down constantly, it's been towed more than a Harley. Also, most Americans don't feel the need to pay tens of thousands of dollars to drive a name. ;) :-* 

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 01:36:18 PM »
Most car manuals have a nice paragraph about ABS and ice.
It doesn't mix well.

In all other situations, you can not stop safer and better without it.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 02:25:59 AM »
I had the green light.

The lady in the Lexus didn't.

Had to agressively apply the brakes on my 500 w/abs.

I'm still here this morning..... :)

To each their own but it sure sold me yesterday.

I also had the green

Lady in the SUV opened the door..

I had to stop my scoot or crash on the door

My scoot stopped on the dime, damn those front brakes are strong!

Sprained my right arm.

No ABS....

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 01:03:16 AM »
Just looking around here and came across this thread. ABS if used properly will be far beeter in an emrgency stop then anyone "pumping" their brakes, the ABS system does that for you, this way you can steer through a turn and not lock up, unlock, lock up, unlock steer and slide etc....

A CPU can do this far faster then anyone ever alive, as for traction control it works in most situations (I say this from the point of view of not having driven a car with traction control in over a decade) starting up on ice is better without the traction control engaged, it locks up the brakes when it senses the smallest slip and stops you from making any progress.

Turn it off for start ups and back on once underway. My opinion only, but I owned a parking lot for 16 years in the north east, if that helps.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 01:42:25 AM »
Frankly speaking, I'm an old schooler, I hate new "computer controlled" cars, although I have one. I still love my old cars that I can tinker once in a while. They make me think, and analyze and fix things, and the reward is good...  ABS? no way! I want to control my vehicle and not a chip...  my two cents.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 09:56:01 AM »
Back to my post, I made a mistake, my friends scooter is a 2011 Burgman w/abs. Next, many good opinions about the "abs" but it appears to be a tie! Good points are related on here and my point is after all this.....I never had abs and don't feel I'd be concerned about not having them. I am possibly one of the elders on here and is another reason I am happy with what I have. I would never argue a "point" with anyone being everyone has their opinion as on here. I still thank the opportunity for this Forum and being able to express our opinions in this our Free America. God Bless America

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 10:16:58 AM »
The problem is.. most people who argue against ABS never had it on their bikes, and/or never
were in a situation where without a doubt they would fall if they didn't have it.

I've got about 40.000km on 2 bikes with ABS and will never buy a bike without it again.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()