Author Topic: CDI Purchase  (Read 8048 times)

ohface70

• View Profile
CDI Purchase
« on: June 10, 2012, 11:50:02 PM »
I am in need of a new cdi and ignition coil.  I have a 2003 zx50 superfever.  This is the first issue EVER.  The ignition wire has rusted in half.  I am not sure if I need to replace the CDI.  However, I wanted to know where to get one as I am not sure if it is AC or DC.  If anyone can assist me, I would really appriciate it. 

ohface70

• View Profile
Re: CDI Purchase
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 12:06:46 AM »
Should I also replace the stator?  The issues that I am having.  The ignition coil wire was rusted and broke in half.  Very LOW spark if any at all.  While having a broken coil wire, would it affect the cdi at all?  Meaning would it ruin or put resistance to the cdi and burn it out at all?  Not sure.  All I know is I need an igntion coil asap. 

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 12:37:23 AM »

ohface70

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 11:16:54 PM »
I am at a point that I need assistance.  I have recently purchased a cdi and a new ignition coil.  Put them on, ran well, but then died.  If I give it a touch of fuel, it will putter, but that is it.  It seems like it is electrical as it will run a bit, and do more of an on/off running..if this makes sense.  I have been messing with this scooter for a year since I moved.  I have cleaned the carb, spark plug, air filter, cdi, and coil.  What am I missing?  On top of that, before I moved I put on new tires and exhaust because I dont have a scooter machanic here in Omaha, Nebraska. I wanna go back to STL!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 12:01:01 AM »
Check the coil to be sure you have it wired correctly. Green is ground, and one of the tabs on the coil has a green marker on it. Other than that I'd say you have a different issue. Maybe an air leak in the case.
Try a compression test FIRST. It must be over 120psi to run at all. If that is good you should do a Pressure test of the entire engine. This will tell if you have any air leaks. Most people assume the case is sealed but in reality most have some leak. If your seals are worn it will act as you describe.

The fella that made this vid also sells the tester...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ohface70

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 12:16:08 PM »
Went to the parts store and rented the compression tester.  60psi. >:(  Can anyone direct me on what to do next.  Where to buy a kit to fix my issue.  Maybe even a how to video or even a pdf of how to install. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 08:44:55 PM »
Well now you are in a whole new world. I can type for the next 24 hours, and never get everything involved in kitting. A bunch of us can walk you thru it all but you have to start at the begining.
What is it you need the scoot to do? A daily commute? Weekend Groceries? In OEM trim the scoot can do between 45-50 mph. Is that enough?
Your rebuild will depend on those questions. The money/time spent also is directly linked.
We can all help find the lowest prices for parts so before hitting Ebay... Figure out what you need. NOT how much you want to spend. If you just try to "cheap" out... You can send me the money instead because it will all fall apart in short order.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ohface70

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 02:11:41 AM »
Okay, so I re did the compression and I am at 99psi.  Low for sure.  But it should run.  I put a new plug in, but it is getting wet within 1 minute of running.  Got it going....rode a few minutes....and quit.  Pulled the plug and it is wet.  Re do it, ran it again and its not wet, but it wont run.  I have cranked it and every 20 or so kicks and it makes a 'puff' noise out of the exhaust.  Is this a sign of worn piston/seal? 
To your question, it is a few times a week scooter.  It used to be daily, but do to a relocation, it is 2 times a week.  So I guess I would just like to get it to run.  I don't want to have to buy a new carb and exhaust to accomidate a big bore kit.  45-50 mph is enough for me.  Zombie, thank you for your assistance. 

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 04:11:50 AM »
The symptoms you described are all indicative of low compression.  If you just want to get it running again with the lowest amount of money and effort...just pull the cylinder off and inspect it.  Count on buying a new oem piston and rings for now.  Check out Stadium Yamaha for oem parts. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 04:21:49 AM »
Shaka got it right. Get a gasket set for the cylinder including an exhaust gasket. If there are no scratches inside the bore a new piston/rings will do it. Mention the forum, and get a 15% discount on parts. There are no cheap replacement pistons for the ZX so don't bother. For all around improvement Id get a new belt, rollers, and variator slides. All this should run about 150.00 shipped.
If that is more than the scoot is worth to you post it for sale here, for around 200.00 as is, and I'm sure it will sell.

ohface70

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 11:33:45 AM »
Okay, so In the last 50 miles, I have put on the rollers and a new belt.  I can not remember if I put on slides.  I think I can repair the compression problem.  Would one of you be able to send me the links to the piston/ring combo I would need?  Should I pull it off and send you a picture to ensure what I need?  Would anyone have a link to a PDF of a step by step removal and install should I run into a snag? 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 01:24:46 AM »
If it turns out you need a cylinder I have a used one in good condition that I can sell you for 20.00. I will never have a better use for it.

ohface70

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 01:41:37 AM »
At this time, I have removed the plug and the 4 bolts that hold down the head.  I took that off.  The combustion chamber looked like the inside of my smoker.  Good for smokers, not for scooters.  I cleaned that out with a towel.  Now, I dont want to ruin the cylinder, but how much force is needed to get that off?  Should the piston be up or down when I try to get it off?  Can I use a rubber mallet?  I looked down the exhaust hole and see lots of vertical scratches on the piston.  I do not have any tools to measure.  Will a kit OEM be okay to use?  Is this something better left to a pro?  The scooter scene in Nebraska stinks.  No one works on them.  How do you know if you can just replace rings and piston or when you have to get a new cylinder? When the cylinder comes off, I assume I would need to buy a new gasket.  So on  the list is an exhaust gasket, rings, piston, and cylinder gasket.  Is this correct?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 02:02:20 AM »
Head gasket, exhaust gasket, cylinder base gasket, spark plug fuel filter, and air filter. A rubber mallet is probally the best idea to unstick the base gasket. Prying on the cylinder may break a fin, or worse the case. Just get it loose, and pull it straight up, and off. Imedeatly after stuff the crankcase with a soft towel so Nothing can get past it, or into the case. Clean up the old gasket... For a new kit you will need to upgrade your carb, reeds,air filter,pipe. All that will cost at least three hundred. A new OEM jug, and piston are listed on Stadium Yamaha. Just call for pricing, and Mention the forum. You will have to follow this exactly for the install... Find the tiny pins in the ring groves. They line up the rings so they can not catch on any of the ports.Install the rings so the ends "sandwich" the pins. Press the rings tight, and slide the piston into the bore untill you can just get the wrist pin, and one circlip installed. (use 2t oil on ALL the parts to make it work) Install the bearing set into the con rod, and lower the jug/piston into position over the rod. Now you can push in the wrist pin, and install the other circlip. Slide it all into place, and you are 90% done.
Ride it at NO MORE than 1/2 throttle for approx 100 miles before giving ANY short wot blasts. After approx 200 miles you should be fine to rip it up.

On a side note: Dis assemble your carb completely, and spray Brake clean, or any other type solvent thru every passage to insure it was not the carb the killed your bike.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()