Author Topic: CDI Purchase  (Read 8045 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: CDI Purchase
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2012, 06:45:42 AM »
I've learned to read the customers... On Friday afternoon I got a call from a referred fella that broke a trailer wheel bearing. I got him to the shop, and he also wanted a bottom paint job... I quoted /he left. He called 2 hours later to ask if I would go back to the shop (7:30 Fri) so he and his wife could take some picts. of the boat "in case you damage anything". I said "Sure Thing".
When they arrived his boat was waiting on the edge of my property for him to take it home.

Maybe he should have visited the forum first...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2012, 08:49:40 AM »
 :D :D :D :D

I have a feeling that the wife was the one who raised hell about taking pictures when he got home  :D

Last job I did, Wednesday, the guy told his wife the lift had some mud on the base because I was kicking it to align it properly(solid steel that will hurt my foot long before it hurts the lift). He tells me she said, "you paid all that money and he's kicking it!" The guy tells me, "well I told her I kicked it once too"  :D. He was cool but a little bit of a pain in the ass. This guy insisted we didn't get mud on his concrete after it rained the night before. His building was new construction and surrounded by mud. Well how the hell am I supposed to back the truck in or carry tools in without getting mud on the concrete? Just have to suck it up sometimes ;)
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

ohface70

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
I think the investment to put a BBK on is worth the money.  However, I am not sure affording all the other items is within the budget.  If I can go 45 with OEM, that is good enough for me.  I will look into a kit, but I am not sure how to tune a carb very well, so I am stuck with having someone tune it for me.  I will talk to my scooter guy back in ST. Louis as I am going down there in July.  He tried talking me into one a year ago as I had to decide between new tires or a BBK.  Went with tires, should of went with BBK at this point.  I might be emailing about the cylinder.  Is anyone on this forum in Nebraska?

ohface70

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2012, 04:47:12 PM »
I can not seem to upload the piston/cylinder pics.  If zombie you have an email, I can send them to you.  The piston has major vertical chunks out of it.  The cylinder wall does not though.  What normally goes wrong in situations like this?  It is a 2001 with 4500 miles on it.  I think just a rebuild is the way I can afford to go.  I want to get a BBK, but the other items that need to be changed would be out of a budget for now.  I want to get ahold of that cylinder if I can for 20 bucks.  What is the best way to go about this?  Paypal?  Thanks again.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2012, 06:17:16 PM »
"I want to get a BBK, but the other items that need to be changed would be out of a budget for now."

Understandable

Use http://photobucket.com/ to post pics on here. Copy and paste the image code into your post.

"What normally goes wrong in situations like this?"
Hard to say. 4500 miles is not a lot. I would definitely inspect the carburetor and lubrication systems thoroughly.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

ohface70

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2012, 08:24:56 PM »
What should I be looking for in the carb and the oil pump?  I know the oil pump works as I have to put the 2stroke oil in when I fill up. 

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2012, 10:00:34 PM »
Damage comes within minutes of no lubrication.

Here's a link to the manual

http://www.kymco.it/contributi/download/MANUALI_OFFICINA/MO%20ZX50%20(inglese).zip

I just downloaded it myself. Save it to your computer. I've used the one for my People countless times. It's a very valuable resource.

With the carb, mostly just give it a good cleaning. A can a carb/choke cleaner works great. Remove all the jets then put the straw on the can and blow out all the ports and passages.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:03:39 PM by Peters »
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2012, 10:02:39 PM »
Post some pics of your piston and cylinder. Zombie reads pistons. He may be able to shed some light on what caused the failure.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2012, 12:57:56 AM »
posting these pics for ohface70

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 01:00:57 AM by Peters »
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2012, 09:38:42 AM »
Is that the bike in the bottom Pict? It already has a pipe on it. 1/2 the cost of a bbk is right there. Anyway... The piston did destroy the cylinder. Is the TOP of the piston burnt or pitted? If it is JUST the sides below the rings it is an Oil failure, or a newly developed air leak. An Extreme leak at that. Cheap walmart 2toil is notorious for failing in scoots same with hardware store chainsaw oil. First thing is to get out any suspect oil, and buy a good injector oil, at a Bike shop. Second... I would suggest doing a pressure test after installing a cylinder. There is a bit of work to doing this but it really has to be done so that you do not destroy all your work in a few miles.
http://www.theultralightplace.com/pistons.htm Compare the second link to your piston to get a first hand idea.
. I have a good jug, and gasket set. I' will sell the gasket set for 5 bucks (what I paid), and the jug for 20. Where are you? Nebraska? It might cost 10 bucks to ship it. I'll find out today. I'll post back after work, and we can PM details. I can send you the parts, and you can payapl after you get them. It's all good.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ohface70

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2012, 12:47:15 PM »
Looks like lubrication issue.  1 year ago I was stuck in a hail/rain storm.  Water was over the edge of where your feet go.  I can assure you this has to be when it happened cause it has never ran right since that day.  I though it was just the ignition coil (it was broken from corrosion) but looks like it was from the rain.  And man was that a rain.  My neck looked like I had about 20 hickies on it from the hail.  Piston with lubrication failure.  I use motul (spell check) 2 stroke oil.  Is this a good oil? 

Zombie, lets chat.  It seems you can assist me quite abit.  Yes, that is a picture of the scooter.  I put that exhaust and the tires on 50 miles ago.  Can you talk me through or send me a link for a BBK if it is within my budget.  I am gone tonight, but I will check this when I get back. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2012, 04:28:52 AM »
That's the kit. Sounds like you're on the right track.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2012, 04:46:32 AM »
Sent Pm...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()